Friday, April 13, 2007

Admitted Student Weekend

2 years ago I took my first ever trip to the fabulous city of Chicago for admitted student weekend. I had an amazing time- I'm still good friends with my host, I met some of my best 2L friends, I fell in love with the city, and I fell in like with the law school. Despite never laying eyes on the city or the school, I'd already committed to coming here because JP had been transferred to Chicago and the situation worked out so well for both of us. I believed all the stuff they told us about the accessibility of famous professors (true), the benefits of the quarter system (false), that Chicago's "rigorous" reputation is overrated (false), and how easy it is to get a job regardless of your grades (pretty true). I love the city of Chicago far more than I love my law school and because of that I wouldn't change my decision- this move was the right thing at the right time for both JP and I.

So this weekend I'm a day host for two admitted students. I'm a pretty honest one- I think this school is perfect for a very particular group of people, great for lots of others, and wrong for a few. When they ask me how hard I worked 1L year, I'll tell the truth- but I also know that any numbers I give them won't mean anything until they're actually doing it. When my host told me he studied 15 hours a day before winter quarter finals, I thought things like "well, I never study as much as other people" or "okay, I can do that" - but until I actually was living in the library watching life pass me by, those numbers had no real effect on me. I'm sure it'll be the same way with my admits- like any challenge, you can't understand it until you're going through it (I would imagine this applies to thinks like childbirth and taking care of a newborn as well ;)

We did get Gorgeous weather today- Chicago should try to impress visitors more often.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post on my blog, LL. I can't wait to hear about how things go for you during 3L. I read your blog regularly so hopefully you'll let us know. One of my questions is whether to have another child during or after law school. I can see pluses and minuses to both. The whole working and attending school thing makes me think after graduation would probably be best for me but who knows? ;)

    ReplyDelete