Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Week

7:30 a.m.: drag self out of bed, dress toddler and bring him downstairs, give toddler milk and dry cereal in a cup to carry around while I jump in shower, get dressed, do hair and makeup and add shoes and other accessories

8:15 a.m.: grab toddler, work laptop, purse, and maybe a yogurt and get in the car

8:45 a.m.: arrive at work, minus a toddler who's now at daycare eating a pancake. Get tea and work without pause until

5:50 p.m.: race out door to daycare to be the last parent to pick up their child in his class. again.

6:15 p.m.: arrive home with toddler, think of various healthy things to make for dinner but eat pizza or cereal for the 3rd time instead (toddler gets pasta or some baked chicken or fish product with veggies and fruit, he eats much better than I do), feed dogs, play with toddler outside while leaving blackberry inside. Breathe deeply and enjoy the sidewalk chalk scribbling, dancing, singing, happy time of day.

8:00 p.m.: husband gets home from coaching, throw toddler at him for bedtime routine, go to study and work until

Midnight: close laptop, brush teeth, skip washing face (again), take some sort of sleep-inducing medication, and climb in bed. Toss and turn for an hour, fall asleep sometime after 1 a.m., repeat.

It has been an insane week. I am exhausted. I am in charge of more than I should be. I love it.

I am also extremely grateful for having a Landon to make me stop and switch gears for 2.5 hours every day. He took me on a 45-minute mosey around our circle yesterday, stopping every few yards to scribble an abstract design on the sidewalk with his pink sidewalk chalk. We also petted every dog that walked our way and admired every bus (car/truck/bike/wheeled vehicle) we passed. I've billed 12+ hours a day since Monday, but I've also enjoyed bubble gun battles, dance parties, and the baking of muffins with Landon as sous chef. I would never do any that if I was this slammed and didn't have a child to force me to take a break.

Another thing I'm grateful for- working for a firm who understands my family time. The other day I was on a conference call with four partners and a senior associate. One big partner in another office was describing an assignment and asking when I could have a rough draft for him and the partner who's in our office said, "Oh, by the way Big Partner, LL is offline from 5:30-8 p.m." Just like that- no big deal, no trying to hint I shouldn't be, just stated as fact and something everyone could deal with. And everyone did. And I got him his rough draft at 10 p.m. (it really was a rush job, we had a hearing in 2 days).

So I'm super busy, I'm really, really tired, and I was feeling sorry for myself, so I wrote a blog post to snap me out of it. I know some people think blogs are the height of self-absorption, but I've always found that writing makes me focus on the good

Also good? Central Market peanut butter cookies.

Man I'm tired. But good.

10 comments:

  1. Seriously, awesome. I am having one of those billable weeks as well and I don't have a toddler to come home to--thanks for putting things in perspective! Now my most recent awkward moment in front of Big Boss seems trivial (as it should).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy reading your blog, because not only is your life super similar to what mine is going to be in about three months (working full time for a big law firm, toddler and two older stepsons (with us fulltime) with another one on the way, and entrepreneurial husband who has a ton of stuff on his plate as well) but because you are so optimistic along with your realistic take on life. Optimism is the only thing that has gotten us through the four years of law school (working during the day and going to school at night "part time") along with other child-related tragedies eerily similar to the ones you unfortunately had to endure in the past. It's comforting to find someone who has had similar experiences and who is getting along so well in life. Thanks for writing! I always look forward to reading.

    Regina (lawmama)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a really busy, fulfilling day! Love what your colleague had to say about being "offline."

    Now I want cookies. Just when I said I wasn't going to have any tonight too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just hope you don't burn out, man. I've seen it happen to sooooo many of my friends. Try to relax as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds familiar - except for the understanding partner part and short commute ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the partner said you were offline from 5:30 - 8! That never would have happened at my old firm (and didn't) - hence the reason I am no longer there! Sounds like things are going well, but I hope you get a break soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds great. For now.
    But DO NOT burn yourself out, okay?
    We kind of like having you around here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew!!!
    I'm glad you're happy .... and feeling balanced, which is hugely important.
    And thanks for the head's up on Central Market's peanut butter cookies. I LOVE peanut butter cookies so will have to head down there now!!
    Have a wonderfully fun Mother's Day weekend!!!!!!
    Janine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you "love" it now, but try doing this every week, every month, every year...welcome to biglaw! Maybe it's different in your firm...

    ReplyDelete