Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Strep, Work, Codeine, and Cuteness

I woke up this morning coughing blood because my throat was so raw. At JP's horror and insistence I dragged myself to the doctor to receive a diagnosis of strep throat, some antibiotics, and Tylenol with codeine (so I can sleep, my throat hurts so badly that every time I swallow I get jolted awake). I stopped by work to pick up my laptop and was ordered by everyone to go home immediately and rest, but I know how much work there is to be done (we have a major production deadline Friday) and if I'm going to feel like crap I might as well be billing. I stopped at HEB to drop off my prescriptions and pick up a large slice of chocolate cake with buttercream icing. It wasn't prescribed by the doctor, but I'm pretty sure it's going to make me feel lots better.

Last night went surprisingly well. Landon only did his flip-flopping on the floor trout impersonation once, when I made him take off his apron before we left daycare (he loves the cherry apron from the dress-up corner, that and the red silk purse). He threw his food on the floor at dinner, which I took as a sign he was finished, so I removed his tray, which made him claw at his face in fury. That was new. I let his screaming self down and started reading a book in the play room; he joined me soon after and was very, very good the rest of the night. By 7:15 I was absolutely drained, so I got two couch pillows and laid down on the floor of the play room. He looked worried and kept walking over, laying his head on the pillow next to mine and saying "night night mama?" He then carefully made a stack of all his books, sat down next to me, and "read" every single one. Every now and then he'd lean over to rest his cheek on my shoulder like he does with the dogs and then go back to his books. He looked rather relieved when his daddy came home and could take over nursing duty.

And to end, here is a video clip of Landon showing of all his anatomy knowledge. It's about 4 weeks old and a little long, but blessedly unrelated to the image of my raw, bloody throat. (Ew, I brought it up again.) My favorite part is about 1:28 when he says "All Right!" That's his favorite phrase and every time you tell him "Good job" he responds with an enthusiastic "All right!". On Saturday he steered his tricycle to the mailbox (with me pushing from behind)- I couldn't help my constant flow of Good jobs! because he was steering so well and he kept exclaiming All right! and I was cracking up and oh, it was a fun 15 minutes.


13 comments:

  1. Too flippin' cute! Just wait til he starts telling YOU good job! We have a similar video where my son does animal noises as I call out the animals :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so cute! :) I hope you start to feel better soon! Sounds horrible...but chocolate cake DOES seem like the appropriate treatment! (as chocolate always is)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so adorable!

    And yes, chocolate is my drug of choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Editors note: I accidentally wrote that my taking Landon's food tray away made me claw at his face in fury- when what I meant to write was that it made him claw at his face in fury. A very important distinction!

    Also, has anyone else's toddler done this? It almost scared me he was pulling at his face so hard and screaming. Screaming I can handle, I just didn't like him trying to hurt himself. Reading a book distracted him, but I'm not sure how to deal with that kind of a tantrum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is so stinkin cute it makes me want one of my own NOW! And did you change the baby tag to Lanman?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way too cute - a very welcome break from a long day. Hope the combination of drugs and cake make you feel better soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toddlers!!

    Hope you start feeling better very soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cutiepie!! I hope you are feeling better soon. You inspired me to head to HEB for my own treat. Mmmm, buttercream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh!! I am so sorry about your strep ... it truly sounds awful. I hope your meds kick in ASAP.

    But - the Landon video is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Landon must be making you feel better, he is so funny!

    When I was a babysitter, a few of the kids would do things similar to clawing at their face, or some other form of inflicting pain on themselves. The only way the parents (or I) dealt with it was to discipline them for that particular kind of temper tantrum, basically in the same way they disciplined the kid for anything else. At first it totally just exacerbates the clawing or whatever it is, but they learn pretty quickly not to do it.

    so, if that wasn't the most vague advice you have ever received, I don't know what is! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Landon is the cutest! I wish I could reach through my computer screen and squeeze that glorious belly.

    I hope you feel better. :( The strep sounds horrendous. Glad to hear the drugs and chocolate are helping though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm actually glad to hear you have strep, because the drugs will knock it out in a couple of days and you'll feel better way faster than if this were some generic virus. Also--yay for Tylenol with codeine!

    I could not click on your video--all I saw was big white space where it was supposed to be--but I'm sure Landon is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you're feeling better! And I have to agree - Landon is totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete