Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Outfit He Built Himself


Landon likes to assist with his wardrobe selection in the mornings. He usually picks out his tops and bottoms, with some weather-appropriate guidance from me, and then selects his socks from our sock bucket by the door. While the socks rarely match each other, they do usually match the outfit generally, and they always make me smile.

Yesterday morning, Landon decided he needed full creative license with his clothing. I was asked not to help while he carefully chose his red and blue plaid shorts, a red "handsome shirt" (of a slightly more orangey red than the shorts), and red airplane socks with a blue stripe (this time, a slightly more purple shade of red- who knew he had so many variations on a color?). I had a big smile on my face because he was taking his outfit so seriously and he looked so pleased that everything was matching, but then he told me he was going to my closet to pick out his shoes. Curious, I followed him to my room, and then cracked up when he emerged from my closet with these navy blue pumps-- the perfect finishing touch.

He was so proud.



So was I. And I can't wait to submit this picture for his senior year slideshow at some high school banquet.

7 comments:

  1. ... and I love how the shoes are on the wrong feet. Oh, what's that? Creative license, right! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... adorable! As Kenny Chesney says... don't blink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, could he be cuter? Nice job on the outfit though... a kid I used to babysit for had no concept of pattern or color. I am impressed with Landon's ability to match! Better than several adult men I know - (my brother put on khaki pants and a different colored khaki button down for his college graduation this weekend. Lord help him)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is he?? I love that he calls them "handsome" shirts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - this looks just like my 3 year old, last week! I have followed your blog for, well, just about three years now... and I am thrilled to say that (with my 3 year old and 5 year old!) I'll be starting Law School in NYC this fall! More to the point, I have a friend who will be attending Northwestern and I sure could use your advice: he has a 1 year old and a 3 year old, his wife will be working... they need recommendations on where to live (Lincoln Park, maybe?) and childcare (I suggested that NU might have a Daycare, but would love other options!) I know this is a lot to ask, by a stranger - but I'm doing it anyway! You've been such an inspiration to me - thank you for any help you can provide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anon! Congrats on your law school decision, that's great! As for your friend attending Northwestern, I'd suggest Lakeview, Lincoln Park, or South/West Loop as places to live. All are adjacent to downtown, easily accessible to mass transit and NW, and have lots of kids and families (though somewhat less so with South or West Loop). I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions on childcare as we only looked in Hyde Park next to the University of Chicago and that would be no help to them. I do know there are lots of great websites and message boards for parents in downtown Chicago that other friends have found useful. Good luck to you and your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, LL - and may your delivery be fast and easy!

    ReplyDelete