Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Balance is Tipping

JP has been sick for the past few days and on Monday he spiked up to a 102 fever and sat shaking and shivering on the couch all night while I made him tea and took care of everything else. Yesterday he was still sick, hovering around a 101 fever with terrible heartburn and sat curled up on the couch moaning occasionally. Then, after dinner, Landon was super cuddly and kept climbing onto my lap and putting his cheek on my shoulder. I took his temperature and it was 101.5. He went to bed with some tylenol and a few extra cuddles. This morning both patients woke up with a 101 fever and are at home watching Sesame Street. I'm at work, determined not to get sick, and am trusting in the universe not to strike all three of us down.

There's really nothing like a sick kid (and/or sick spouse) and a ton of work and impending deadlines to show you how precarious your balance really is.

4 comments:

  1. That stinks! I hope you stay healthy. It doesn't matter if you are working inside or outside the home, when Mom gets sick, it throws everything out of whack (as evidenced by the potting soil I just swept out of our bathroom. I'm pretty sure that happened while I was sick in bed yesterday).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck, spray everything with Lysol. Hope they get better soon, and without infecting you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you a thousand times. I ended up missing a whole freaking WEEK of work last week when my kids were sick-- my hubs covered me for the time I actually needed to be in the classroom teaching, but all the prep time, office hours, and writing time was gone. And we had a very nice hypothetical discussion about how to handle sick time before the semester began...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, can relate. Have been sick with something all week. No cough, but my chest often feels like I have been coughing all day. Nose from hell, headaches, achy. Been trying to take care of myself so I can get to work tomorrow (I work from home a couple of days a week and an in the office only one day a weeek - that would be tomorrow) but I'm not so sure that's going to happen.

    Besides I work out of two different places and one is a lawyer's house where he has an office in the basement. His 9 month old has a lot of allergies and other issues. I really don't want to be responsible for giving her more problems.

    Here's to everybody feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete