Friday, April 18, 2008

Sleeping Through an Earthquake

You know how when you're really tired you say things like, "I could sleep through a [insert natural disaster here]."? Well, apparently at 4:40 AM this morning, JP and I slept through an earthquake. The article says it was a moderate one at 5.2, but given what a light sleeper I am, I think I would have woken up had I been sleeping like a regular person instead of an unconscious, exhausted parent.

The good thing is that it didn't wake Landon either. He slept from 7:15 PM to 5:00 AM. I really wish he could make it until 6:00; 5 is just too early when JP and I can't seem to get in bed before 10:30, but I'm not going to complain (yet) because this is only the 10th time or so that we haven't been up between at some point between 2 and 4 AM. Baby steps.

It's now 9:30 and I'm sitting at a table in the library with a mountain of books beside me. I am two weeks behind in every class (and only three weeks into the quarter) and I am determined to catch up in at least two of them before I leave to pick up the little guy at 4:30. It might help if I shut off my wireless, but our Dean has already removed internet from the classrooms, and I'll be damned if I separate myself from it voluntarily.

8 comments:

  1. what he removed internet access!thats insane. although i bet that helps with focusing on lectures. i always had a tendency to check email, chat on AIM or just surf around (both in my undergrad and even grad days now). its embarrassing esp when you get caught haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typically can sleep through most anything but being a parent has really made me a much lighter sleeper. We had a wicked thunderstorm here last night so I was up wandering the house at 2am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing a comedian talk about the sleeping habits of a mom. He said that you could literally drive an 18-wheeler through her room and she'd sleep through it, but should one of the kids miss a breath, she'd sit straight up asking, "what was that?"
    I'm a light sleeper, too, but have found that when I'm really exhausted, the only thing my brain will allow me to respond to is one of the kids. Plus, did they say that the magnitude of the quake and aftershocks were that high all the way in Chicago (easy to believe due to the type of bedrock we have in IL)? Maybe they were a tiny bit lower due to distance...but I'm putting money on your brain going "hmm...not Landon? not burgler? not fire?...let the poor gal sleep!" :)
    and yeah for Landon sleeping until at least 5am!...just curious (because I know it works for some kids and not others), if you put him to bed around 8pm, does he sleep any later?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second what Colleen suggested - when my daughter goes to sleep later in the evening, she sleeps in later too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strangely enough, we felt it here too! It didn't wake me up though. I was snoozing peacefully in anticipation of an 8 hour exam!

    You know, blocking the internet is stupid. It doesn't mean anyone's going to pay attention in a boring-ass class. My friend decided to stop bringing her laptop to International Environmental Law because she couldn't make herself stop surfing the web instead of paying attention. Except that it didn't make her pay attention, it just meant she scribbled all over her notebook and worked on crossword puzzles/sudoku. How's this for a solution: make your class NOT totally boring and people will pay attention! And I need something to do while idiots prattle on in class and waste our time. (You might not have that problem at UC though.)

    Also, who says just because I'm shoe shopping I'm not paying attention? In fact, while I'm surfing blogs, I'm also watching a National Geographic documentary on the book Illicit (yeah, I know, exciting stuff for a Friday night). It's the 21st century, multitasking is an important skill to develop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't even know how you'll survive without internet in the classroom. Sad but true. Good thing school is almost over for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, no internet? I think I would die! Actually, part of me wishes my school would do that too. I see the ups to it, the problem is suffering excruciating boredom in the classes in which the professor are horrible and lame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a jackass! If I lacked internet in the classrooms, I'd probably commit numerous violations of the criminal code.

    ReplyDelete