Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Miscellany

I wonder how many posts I have in the last 7.5 years of blogging titled something like "miscellany" or "things." I'm guessing MANY. But that's exactly what's happening here.

(1) First up- food! I've made two recipes this week that you must try. They're both vegetarian (we usually go meatless 2-3x a week; a habit formed during our extremely tight Chicago grocery budget days and one we've kept because JP doesn't do pork, I hate touching raw chicken and the free-range organic chicken I insist on buying costs more than your average steak, and everyone in our family loves vegetables), and they are SO good.

Ex. A: Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas. OMG. Make these. And even if you don't make these, make the homemade enchilada sauce. It is so good and so easy I'm never buying cans of the shiny red liquid again. JP walked in the house from mowing the lawn on Monday, sniffed the air, and said "what smells so good?!". "Enchilada sauce" was not the answer he expected. I made the enchiladas exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing, though a shredded rotisserie chicken tossed in the filling wouldn't be a bad addition (not necessary though; even JP commented on how filling they are and he eats about 4,000 calories a day).

carnage

Ex. B: Pesto Grilled Cheese. How have I never thought of this before? Pesto, fresh mozzarella, butter with garlic salt and parmesan cheese, and a griddle. So simple, so obvious, so delicious. I served them tonight with our favorite tomato basil soup and everyone was pleased. Especially me. I ate 1.75, because 2 sandwiches would be excessive.

(2) Cora now has wall-to-wall carpeting in her pen.


(Giant Cora Pen is here; foam pads are here. We love them both so much, they are definitely a Top 10 baby purchase for us, particularly with older siblings, one million choking hazards in the playroom, and an open concept non-gate-able house with 8 exterior doors.)

(3) JP and I went on a date night on Sunday. We saw a movie IN A THEATER the same weekend it came out, living it up like it's 2006. It was raining and JP is anti-selfie, so here I am in my new $7.99 dress (Ross is on fire for me right now) and the haircut I'm still figuring out how to style, in the bathroom at Movie Tavern.


So fancy! And X-Men was good, as was the red wine I sipped along with it.

(4) I am so obsessed with barre right now. OBSESSED. You have no idea how many posts you've almost been subjected to about how much I love it. I'm still going about 4x a week and for the first time ever I understand why JP would get out of bed after 3 hours of sleep to swim before driving to his investment banking job in Chicago. It makes me feel so good, and because it's the first physical activity I've stuck with since my competitive swimming days of 1999, I've gotten to really see and feel the changes in my body over time. I am so much stronger and so much leaner- I weigh the same as I did pre-Cora, but everything is smaller, except my tricep, which is VISIBLE and my favorite. But mainly, I just feel so good every time I go and I feel even better after I leave. It's a high that's better than wine and even the wine tastes 10x better after going. I went to a 2 hour "special" class on Memorial Day and as I drove over, so excited to have more time to spend in the studio, I realized I really am a whole new person. A happy, leaner, more flexible one with fewer headaches and a full workout clothes drawer I sacrificed a bunch of PJ pants to make room for.

(4) Cora is smiley.


Also, mobile, and REALLY determined to join the family in playing Candy Land.


And really very ridiculously loved.


(5) My insomnia remains terrible, but off to bed to try to dream happy dreams of margaritas and barre class (not together) anyway.

14 comments:

  1. Just curious, how much are Barre classes in Ft. Worth? In NYC it's prohibitively expensive, but I just got some of the DVDs you recommended. Will have to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My studio is pretty reasonable- one class is $15, but there are multi-class packages you can get that take that down to $12. Or I do the one month unlimited which is $100, so by going 4x a week it's only $7 each. And by doing the unlimited it makes me feel like I'm saving money the more times I go, instead of spending it, which is very motivating :).

      Delete
    2. UGH!!! Ok, I'm moving to Ft. Worth ASAP! :) The cheapest class I can find here is for $20/month - if you buy 8 classes/month - general drop ins are $30/each. Definitely NOT in the budget, swimsuit season notwithstanding...

      Delete
  2. Did you warn us that you'd change the blog's look? Going to examine more closely now that the initial shock is gone. I initially wondered on whose blog I landed!
    Desimom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, well I can't imagine there's anything that isn't cheaper here than it is in Manhattan. If only NYC had a few other things going for it, we might be able to stem the constant flow of transfers to DFW... ;).

    We actually love the Fort way more than we expected, but I'd do a lot of barre DVDs before I'd head this way from where you are. And maybe you could do DVDs and then add in a live class once a week or 2x a month? Just to mix it up and get some new moves, technique tips, and motivation? I'll let you know if I buy any more that I like! (Did I blog about the Xtend Barre: Lean and Chiseled one I bought recently? I really like it and find that I always pick that one on the days I can't make a live class.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't tried any DVD yet - my husband has taken to working at home, and I just can't motivate to do it while he's tapping away at the dining room table 6 feet from me. NYC - land of no in-unit W/D, no pool, redonkulous cost of everything! I don't know, you make the Fort sound really lovely! Especially when you have a kid and can barely take advantage of everything the city has to offer anyway :)

      Delete
  4. Andrea Morris5/30/14, 11:06 AM

    I love barre class! I started last month in San Antonio, and also do the unlimited class special. I think its $135.00 here, and I try to go 4-5 times a week to get my money's worth. Even though I can't do every exercise, I am so happy with my triceps results!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh. Unlimited months here are $170 even with two other companies. Conveniently, they are also the same price. I go 2x/ week here on 30 class passes to drop the cost per class. But I did get two of the videos you recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reminded me of Claire!
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/109076679/frozen-elsa-inspired-costume-tutu?utm_source=OpenGraph&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_campaign=Share&fb_action_ids=10152096681080009&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=like_button&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's almost exactly what she's getting! I ventured into the Disney store at the mall for the first time in my entire life only to find that the Elsa dress has been sold out for months, so I turned to etsy and found a beautiful handmade one that she'll open on Wednesday. I can't wait!

      Delete
  7. I just wanted to pop back in to say that I tried the enchiladas and OMG they are amazing. Hubby loved them, I loved them, I used all organic ingredients, so I convinced myself they are healthy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, I'm wondering how that foam mat is holding up now that you've had it a while?? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It held up great! We actually just sold it two weeks ago (Cora is no longer pennable) and it still looked like new. It was really great for our wood floors; Cora could fall right on her head and not have any of the bruises she's sporting now!

      Delete