(1) First up- food! I've made two recipes this week that you must try. They're both vegetarian (we usually go meatless 2-3x a week; a habit formed during our extremely tight Chicago grocery budget days and one we've kept because JP doesn't do pork, I hate touching raw chicken and the free-range organic chicken I insist on buying costs more than your average steak, and everyone in our family loves vegetables), and they are SO good.
Ex. A: Black Bean and Spinach Enchiladas. OMG. Make these. And even if you don't make these, make the homemade enchilada sauce. It is so good and so easy I'm never buying cans of the shiny red liquid again. JP walked in the house from mowing the lawn on Monday, sniffed the air, and said "what smells so good?!". "Enchilada sauce" was not the answer he expected. I made the enchiladas exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing, though a shredded rotisserie chicken tossed in the filling wouldn't be a bad addition (not necessary though; even JP commented on how filling they are and he eats about 4,000 calories a day).
Ex. B: Pesto Grilled Cheese. How have I never thought of this before? Pesto, fresh mozzarella, butter with garlic salt and parmesan cheese, and a griddle. So simple, so obvious, so delicious. I served them tonight with our favorite tomato basil soup and everyone was pleased. Especially me. I ate 1.75, because 2 sandwiches would be excessive.
(2) Cora now has wall-to-wall carpeting in her pen.
(Giant Cora Pen is here; foam pads are here. We love them both so much, they are definitely a Top 10 baby purchase for us, particularly with older siblings, one million choking hazards in the playroom, and an open concept non-gate-able house with 8 exterior doors.)
(3) JP and I went on a date night on Sunday. We saw a movie IN A THEATER the same weekend it came out, living it up like it's 2006. It was raining and JP is anti-selfie, so here I am in my new $7.99 dress (Ross is on fire for me right now) and the haircut I'm still figuring out how to style, in the bathroom at Movie Tavern.
So fancy! And X-Men was good, as was the red wine I sipped along with it.
(4) I am so obsessed with barre right now. OBSESSED. You have no idea how many posts you've almost been subjected to about how much I love it. I'm still going about 4x a week and for the first time ever I understand why JP would get out of bed after 3 hours of sleep to swim before driving to his investment banking job in Chicago. It makes me feel so good, and because it's the first physical activity I've stuck with since my competitive swimming days of 1999, I've gotten to really see and feel the changes in my body over time. I am so much stronger and so much leaner- I weigh the same as I did pre-Cora, but everything is smaller, except my tricep, which is VISIBLE and my favorite. But mainly, I just feel so good every time I go and I feel even better after I leave. It's a high that's better than wine and even the wine tastes 10x better after going. I went to a 2 hour "special" class on Memorial Day and as I drove over, so excited to have more time to spend in the studio, I realized I really am a whole new person. A happy, leaner, more flexible one with fewer headaches and a full workout clothes drawer I sacrificed a bunch of PJ pants to make room for.
(4) Cora is smiley.
Also, mobile, and REALLY determined to join the family in playing Candy Land.
And really very ridiculously loved.
(5) My insomnia remains terrible, but off to bed to try to dream happy dreams of margaritas and barre class (not together) anyway.