Sunday, May 25, 2014

On Something New and Much The Same

Things are much the same around here these days. JP is coaching all day and answering a million emails and phone calls all night. I'm working and then handling three kids solo until 7 pm in a calm, happy way I would have sworn was impossible when I was only handling a baby Landon. I chop lots of things, get dinner going, head outside with Cora to watch the big kids swim, feed Cora outside, oversee showers when they come back inside, finish up dinner, serve it, and greet JP with a smile when he walks in with a chlorine cloud a little while later. I don't know how long it will last, but right now things are as smooth as they can be with three little ones. And each night, after their swim and shower, the kids beg hang out in Cora's pen before dinner and bed.


And each night I generously give permission.


Landon has two weeks left of Kindergarten, and then he's a summer-camp-going first grader, something that blows my mind a little bit. Claire turns 4 in eight days and spends her time at school, smothering Cora, and singing Frozen songs, now with choreographed dance moves. Cora, well, Cora smiles.


Smiles and crawls and eats all the foods and chews on ALL the things.


So other than identical looking pictures of the kids in the pool and the kids in the pen, I haven't had a lot to share. I do have a post percolating on thoughts on my future career moves, in case anyone is still reading and hoping I will occasionally talk about being a lawyer. It doesn't come up as often now that there's this crazy dark black line between my personal and professional halves. Weird at first, but ultimately quite awesome for everyone.

In the meantime, I received a small raise that ended up being retroactive to the first of the year. The raise is being absorbed into the budget, but I'm letting myself spend the retroactive "bonus" portion on something for me- something that isn't shoes or clothes or a fancy night out, but some sort of larger ticket item I would never normally buy myself in the middle of the year (or ever). I think I've decided on a new laptop. The one I currently use is 5 years old, missing 3 keys, heavy, bulky, and slow. I'm our family's historian and photographer and I spend time on my computer pretty much every night- mostly internet browsing, but lots (and LOTS) of photo editing and some video editing too. (Actually very of little video editing because I don't have good software for it, something I'd like to change with the new one.) So something fast, light and portable, with lots of memory.

I've been thinking about switching to a Mac because of the lightness and portability, quality, and photo and video editing software built in. Does anyone reading have one? How is the photo/video angle? I have a million files I've edited in Picasa, any experience transferring all that over? Has anyone reading made the big switch and not wanted to stab the ctrl-less keyboard with a fork? I've been a PC user my whole computer-using-life and I know many a keyboard shortcut and am very addicted to right clicking on my mouse. Can I overcome that? I would love your input! Any other PC suggestions are welcome as well, it's been a long time since I looked for a computer. The macbook pros are out of my price range (the whole shebang must cost less than $1500), but I'm seriously considering the 13" macbook air. Do I need the one-to-one counseling? The super expensive protection plan? I spent most of my free time this afternoon personalizing my would-be sexy skinny macbook air laptop and am rather emotionally attached, but please, feel free to talk me out of it (or back into it). I love new gadgets and it's been so long since I indulged! Maybe one day we'll even own an iPad like all of Landon's friends already do...

17 comments:

  1. As a long-time Mac user (I switched over about 5 years ago), I'll try to answer your questions keeping the PC-changeover in mind.

    Photo and video editing on Mac is great. If you expect to run photo software (Photoshop or anything heavy-duty processing like that) I would recommend springing for the 8 GB of RAM if possible. It will help things run a lot smoother. You could get a wireless mouse if you don't want to give up right clicking. The short cuts I think you can retrain your brain pretty quickly. I'm a fan of the protection plan, even if it is a bit pricey. If *anything* breaks within the first 3 years you can walk into the store and they will handle it. For such an expensive investment, I feel it's worthwhile.

    One potential savings opportunity to consider: the education discount. Is there someone in your life that goes to school or works for a school? Apple gives a 10% discount for educators/students (I think, unless this has changed). You might find a friend or family member to purchase and save you some money.

    Also my sister bought her Mac refurbished (like new but at a cheaper price) and she loves it: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac. It's certified repaired and you can get the same warranty, so there's really no difference in my mind.

    Good luck and I hope you get yourself something nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a parent of a child in school can use the education discount.

      Delete
  2. How do you not own an iPad ? That's so surprising, I would definitely get that over a laptop. Not great for photos but so many use cases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the raise btw. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been using a Mac for about 8 years now. You get used to using the command vs. control key pretty quickly, and the shortcuts are otherwise the same. I don't see the two-finger tap being much different than a right click, and of course a mouse would work the same with a mac if you choose to use one instead of the track pad.

    I got the extended warranty with both macs (used each laptop for about 4 years). Customer service is really good.

    I'm actually looking into getting my third sometime soon - this time a desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I switched all things creative over to a Mac in 2009 and love it. I'm still using the same machine--the upkeep is much simpler than a PC, I think. There was a learning curve, but the learning curve is much more enjoyable when it's driven by creative projects instead of school/work deadlines. Seem to recall that Legally Fabulous bought a refurbished Mac in the last couple years (if you haven't chatted w her about it already).

    As someone who has been interviewing lately, I would love to hear what you have to say on the career front when the time is right :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use a Mac at work and a PC at home. I've been using PCs for 20ish years. I prefer a PC by far and you can get a hell of a laptop for $1500 if you stay PC. I've had 3 Dell laptops in a row over the last 15 years and each one lasted a good long time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Government employees also get a 10% discount on Apple products.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been using Macs since 2006 and I would highly recommend them over PCs.

    I would also recommend AppleCare. Yes it's expensive but if there are problems AppleCare rocks. Genius service is always available for trouble shooting but if they need to do an actual repair then that's where AppleCare covers you. I've had 3 Apple machines and AppleCare has paid for itself all 3 times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Long, long time reader..I've been thinking of reaching out to you forever. As it happens, I switched from private practice to securities regulator just before you did. (the BC/Canada version of the SEC) I was cheering for you when you made the move! It made the same kind of difference in my life as it has in yours. I keep thinking that one day I will have cause to contact you professionally - stranger things have happened! About Macs vs. PCs - I was a lifetime PC user, and still use one at work. Switched to Mac Air at home in 2011 - and never looked back. So easy to use, no issues with transferring documents between home and work and most importantly, in the 3 years I have had it, it has crashed...exactly never. Highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on the "moved to Mac" several years ago club. I did it for the creative issues, too, and have also, never looked back. Now we're a family of Mac users, other than two of the sons. I'm not always thrilled with the conglomerate that is Apple, but I've never had a crash or a computer virus. Ever.
    And that is something. :)
    Congrats on the raise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another happy Mac user. I switched in 2008 and my husband (then-boyfriend) teased and scoffed when I suggested he get one. Then his 2-year-old PC laptop crashed during law school finals and there was no laughing or scoffing. He's been pro-Mac since 2009. I hesitate to say "never again" on a PC, because who knows what companies will come out with what, but as of right now, neither of us would consider a PC for ourselves, and we both work on PCs at work. The iPad has been shockingly useful, too, but I agree with the previous comment that it's not for photo storage/editing/etc. And yes to the Apple Care as well. My old work Macbook Pro (old company) had a hardware issue and it couldn't be fixed in-store. I shipped it off on a Friday night, had it back Monday morning. My husband once had to ship his off for a different issue (speaker-related), and he had it back, fixed, within 24 hours. Congrats, and happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got the Mac Air 11" during law school when lugging around my laptop and all the books meant forever pinching nerves in my neck and shoulders. I LOVE my computer. The switch from PC to Mac is liberating. However: the Air has very little storage, so I can't store all my photos on the laptop itself, I need to store them on an external drive (which you should do anyway for back up, but I have to keep the majority there, which hinders my family historian role because I'm lazy). My husband keeps copies of the photos on his Macbook Pro. Also, I LOATHE iPhoto. So, I wouldn't use that if I were you. I find it not at all easy to navigate. I'm sure you could use another photo editing application, although I couldn't personally advise you as to which one. If editing your photos is primarily restricted to cropping, etc, you could just use Preview, which is standard on all Macs. I then save all my photos in Dropbox, and back up on external drives and husband's MacBook. Good luck and congratulations on the "bonus!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, definitely recommend the Apple Care protection package - terrific customer service - although they will check if there's any liquid damage, which I believe is not covered. Also, getting a refurbished laptop is a good deal!

      Delete
  13. I'll just ditto Rayne. I won't be switching over to a Mac for home use anytime soon, but I would consider one for DD, the digital artist. But if you're set on the Mac and the tiniest bit computer savvy (which, as a blogger, I know you are) the transition won't be too painful. The shortcuts are about the same and you can add the PC right click features to the mouse (I'm a clicker--I never use shortcuts.).

    --LC

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll say first that I have an iPhone and an iPad, but Windows based laptop and desktop...

    http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/28/technology/mobile/apple-breakup/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

    Anon - jlv

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm super late to the party commenting on this, and maybe you've already gone out and bought yourself a computer, BUT .... two things:

    1) DEFINITELY go with a Mac Book or Mac Book Air for all the reasons listed above and more. It's amazing, user friendly, light, streamlined, etc.;

    2) Purchase it from Best Buy and get their protection plan; do NOT get Apple Care. Apple Care won't cover anything from spills (how my last two computers have died), while Best Buy will replace the entire thing even if you accidentally run it over with your car in a rainstorm. They even replace your charger if your dog mysteriously chews it up. Trust. Go with it.

    ReplyDelete