Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Rebecca the Red Nosed Reindeer and Other Stories of Holiday Magic

So I have Nasal Vestibulitis. It's a "rare type of bacterial infection at the opening of the nose." It makes the tip of my nose swollen, tender, and very red.

"I look like a clown," I lamented to James a few nights ago.

"Or," he responded, "in this holiday season, you could say you look like..."

Rudolph. I look like Rudolph. I've dubbed it Rudolph's Disease and sing extra loud when the song comes up on my Christmas playlist.


Yay for makeup

I went to the doctor on Monday and got topical and oral antibiotics. Apparently my tiny red nose requires multiple meds, plus a probiotic and decongestant because it was probably caused by me constantly squeezing my nose to clear it due to my chronically retracted ear drums. So now I have a chart because the oral antibiotics are 4x a day, while the topical is 2x a day, and the probiotic is only once but not within 2 hours of the antibiotic. It's ridiculous; all for a swollen little tip of a nose.
But it's timely, not only because we're almost upon Rudolph's night to shine, but because it was exactly 7 years ago yesterday that I, a 30-year-old well-read lawyer, googler, and mother of 3, first learned that reindeer were real.

[Scene: Visiting the Dallas Arboretum on a freezing day with all three kids, including our tiny 6-week old baby (#ThirdKid), to see Santa.]

Me: Oh look kids! It's Santa and one of his reindeer! *wink wink*

[The kids said hi to Vixen and then walked off with James to see Santa.]

Me, to the handler who almost certainly wasn't being paid enough: So, what animal is it really?

Handler: Um, it's a reindeer ma'am.

Me, motioning to the absent children: It's okay, you can tell me, they can't hear you.

Handler: Um, this is a reindeer.

Me, equally annoyed and impressed at the commitment to holiday magic: Yeah, okay.

[I walk off to join James.]

Me: So I tried to find out what kind of animal the pretend reindeer is, but the guy wouldn't tell me!

James: Um, that's a reindeer.

Me: Ugh, stop it! I really want to know!

James: Wait... do you not know that reindeer are real?

Me, googling: Oh my god.

James, dies of laughter. [End scene.]

The kids love that story and honestly, so do I. It's like the time I learned in college that snakes can climb stairs. I grew up in a house that bordered a forest and small creek. Snakes were a frequent guest in our yard and occasionally made it into the house via our cat. And while I liked snakes and often caught the garden variety ones to temporarily house in an old aquarium on our porch, I had one night where I guess I got scared that one would appear in my bed. My dad, probably tired and wanting alone time with my mom, told me snakes can't climb stairs. I took this as gospel truth and stubbornly believed it for YEARS despite knowing on some other level of my brain that snakes often live in very tall trees. My freshman year of college someone was telling a story about a snake that was found in an attic and I said, "No, they couldn't have; snakes can't climb stairs." There was also laughing- it's good to be humbled every now and then and I totally yelled at my dad the next time we talked on the phone.

But back to Christmas! While this is a strange and socially distant holiday season, we have been able to check off a few of our favorite traditions! Claire was able to perform in the 5th grade play, a mask-wearing, socially distant play that the music teacher filmed in small spread-out groups and then spliced dozens of video clips together because she is amazing and wanted to give the 5th graders a final play. Claire played "Mom" and Maggie played the puppy the little boy wants for Christmas and it was the very cutest.
The girls had their much anticipated annual Pajama Reading Day at school on Friday.
And I still got to read them our favorite Christmas book, Christmas Delicious, via Zoom from our living room. I wore my pajamas in solidarity, and not just because I'm pretty much always in pajamas. It was so special to still be able to read to them and I was surprisingly sentimental about the fact this was Claire's last PJ Reading Day. When Landon graduated 5th grade it felt okay since I had Cora about to start Kindergarten the next year, but now I'll just have one baby in elementary school and that seems impossible and gives me lots of feelings.
Maggie and Moose were also featured in the Zoom reading and the girls were so excited to show them to their classmates. It was a fun kick off to Winter Break for them.
Later that day, Moose got to open his stocking early and he was very excited about his new toys.
In other new toys, James designed holiday suits and they are the cutest.
Cora also wanted you to see her outfit for going out to net leaves from the pool.
On Monday we went to see Santa on my lunch break!
Maggie came too obviously. She's a Believer.
Cora wants a puppy, which is a hard no, so hopefully she'll be satisfied with legos, a marble run, and the perfect angel of a bulldog we already have.
My constant companion, she is beauty and grace and pure wrinkly love.
Also, pure love: my shipment of Twinings tea that got delivered yesterday. This is what happens when your friend recommended a tea you can't get in any nearby stores and the free shipping minimum is $50.
$51 and 13 boxes of tea later and I have quite the assortment now living in my old built-in wine storage rack. The Christmas Tea is perfection and Winter Spice and Peppermint Cheer are also lovely.

And while gingerbread houses aren't our usual treadition, a friend gifted us an extra set and the kids were very excited to put it together. They divided it into sections for decorating and then begged to eat it.
We tried to warn them that gingerbread houses don't usually taste like the soft, chewy, amazing gingerbread cookies their Gigi makes, but parents don't know anything.
Except when they do.

Their reactions cracked me up. They ate all the candy, we tossed the house, and considered it a successful holiday project. Then we drove around the neighborhood singing loudly to the Raffi Christmas album and admiring the lights. I'm on Day 62 and it's been a good month so far.

[I should also add that I am so enjoying and appreciating your comments and feedback. Each comment email that pops up in my inbox during the day is like a little hug from the outside world and it's the best. I've gone back to respond to the ones from the last few posts, but in case I missed any, I just wanted to say thank you for still being here when I wanted to write again and I wish you the Happiest of Holidays and a Joyful New Year.]

24 comments:

  1. I'm not sure who or how your blog got recommended to me, but I've been reading for a few years now and was so sad when you took a break earlier this year (although I 100% understood why). Reading your posts again over the past few weeks has been such a treat. Everytime I scroll through Feedly and see a new post from you I immediately mute the TV, turn off the music, and get ready to read. It's like getting a phone call from a friend! Thanks for always sharing so honestly- it's unbelievably refreshing. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The visual you painted of reading a new post made me feel so happy and seen, thank you for sharing that! Happy New Year's to you!

      Delete
  2. So, SO glad you're back, LL (Rebecca)! One of my fave blogs...I've been reading along since 2007 when I was in law school too. Coincidentally, I am just a few days older than you are, and have 3 kids now, too, so we have those things in common. :) I totally understand why you needed a break - but I am so thoroughly glad you're back. It's a treat to open up Feedly and see your posts again! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your adorable family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I honestly can't believe I've been blogging long enough for you to have been reading since 2007, but here we are- thank you for following along all these years!

      Delete
  3. Almost two years ago, I got a zit inside my nose that got infected. My husband forced me to go to the walk-in and the dr said it was good I'd come because those infections can spread to your ENTIRE FACE. So he lanced it, which is the most painful experience of my life and I had many hours of unmedicated back labour. And then, it spread to the outside of my nostril at which point the Dr said it was a "very unusual place" to get an infection.

    All to say, take care of these seemingly tiny nose things, they can get out of control REAL quick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is crazy! And yes, when I googled "swollen red tip of nose," the internet basically yelled at me to go to the doctor because my face was going to explode like, tomorrow, if I didn't. I've finished my course of antibiotics, but I think my nose is still slightly red? I can't figure out if that's just my pink skin or an infection, but I'm keeping an eye on it...

      Delete
  4. Oh I *heart eyes* that prism suit. I just bought a new suit and we're just about to go into lockdown so there's no swimming but I might just have to buy one anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! They're really nice- like high end compression yoga leggings and made by a small company in the USA! More designs are coming so check back!

      Delete
  5. Once you need tea again, try Stash from Oregon. They too have free shipping with $50 min and I’m awaiting my huge box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the recommendation for Stash! Acai Berry is my favorite (like favorite tea of any brand, not just Stash).

      Delete
    2. I am new to Stash, but I picked up their Breakfast in Paris tea a couple weeks ago and I am obsessed. I only have two bags left - definitely looking forward to placing an order there when some space frees up in my drawer!

      Delete
  6. It makes me so happy to see you posting here - I always love reading about your holiday traditions and it's so great to hear about how you are making it work this year. Merry Christmas to you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Relatively new reader here, found you via SHU's blog and love your posts. Just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas and say I love Twining's Winter Spice tea, too, and have been wanting to try the Christmas one, but it is hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The Winter Spice is great- as is Peppermint Cheer (it's a peppermint/vanilla blend, so a softer mint), but the Christmas Tea is just divine. I talk myself into and then out of ordering another big box on a daily basis.

      Delete
  8. I’m glad you’re back . . . But what are you cooking :)?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca, I just googled 'snake climbing stair' and now I'll probably never be able to sleep peaceful in the countryside. HOW COULD YOU - and on CHristmas, too!
    Regardless, it's a pleasure to read you again. merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! It's probably a good thing for my dad and my sleep that google didn't exist back then (and I still haven't googled that now). And thank you- Happy New Year's to you!

      Delete
  10. Merry Christmas! Echo the comment above about stopping what I’m doing to read your posts. So glad to see you writing here again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love hearing that- thank you for reading!

      Delete
  11. Is your name rebecca? I always thought it was Liv or Olivia! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! And ha! I like those names though! Makes me wonder what other people have thought my name is over the years...

      Delete
  12. I just randomly checked today to see if you were back and was sooooo happy to see that you are. I have been reading you for what seems like forever. We had our last baby around the same time. I have always loved seeing your clothing style, home decor, and your travel posts. SO GLAD YOU ARE BACK! Oh, and I love all tea as well.

    ReplyDelete