Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens...

James and I wrapped presents one night last week and with that, our holiday preparations are done! The kids were so excited to see the gifts by the tree that morning and there have been LOTS of guesses as to what each box or bag might contain (you're allowed to touch and gently move the gifts for name identification purposes only, but no lifting or shaking; I did not make up these rules).
And so in the spirit of gift-giving and favorite things I thought I'd round up a few of my favorite online stores and items in hopes of finding some new ones of my own. I also have a $50 Amazon gift card that am determined to spend on something purely for myself, so I would love to hear your favorite things- an indulgence or practicality (I looooove a good hot nightly bath, candles, cozy things, tea, cute but comfortable clothing, fuzzy socks that might actually keep my chilly feet warm...) that would be a post-holiday treat. But what are the things you're most excited to give this year? Or most hoping to receive?


Sweet gifts from a friend

Rakuten. First up, I would be remiss if I didn't mention Rakuten (formerly Ebates). At my last check I've amassed a lifetime cash back total of $3,479.03 just by doing my normal online shopping. The cash back changes based on the store and day (Shutterfly was 15% the other day! usually it's 1% and Target, which is usually 1% was 5% yesterday, and Ebags was 20%(!!) on a day I happened to go buy a new suitcase) and you get a check in the mail every quarter. No financial informatoin is exchanged, you just use a link from the Rakuten website or app to go to your store and shop so your total can be tracked. This is my referral code- we both get $20 if you use it, but seriously, make sure you pay yourself for being the person in your family who probably does everyone's shopping.

Vuori. I heard of this brand for the first time when work-from-home first began. Desperate for lounge clothes that I could wear to take Maggie outside for potty breaks (not that my neighbors didn't see plenty of me in plaid PJ pants) I ordered joggers and a pair of long lounge pants they now don't seem to sell. The joggers were so soft, but too short (my legs are too long to look good in anything but full-length leggings; nothing hits at the rigth spot), but LOVE the loose lounge pants and wear them nearly every day. I got James this pair of pants for Christmas (shhh) and they are so soft and light and smooth that I occasionally take them out of the box just to pet them. I just saw they now have "long" joggers, so I may end up with another treat-yourself kind of item in the new year...

Free Fly. I've had the Bamboo Weekend Pullover for about 18 months and wore it all spring and summer. It's so light and breathable and I love the sun protection that's comfortable even in warm weather. (I hiked a mountain in sunny humid Curacao wearing that shirt and it's the only reason I wasn't burned.). This Black Friday I treated myself to a new offering- the Bamboo Thermal Fleece Pullover and it's possible I wore it every day last week (with the Vuori pants).

Blenders Sunglasses. I received the North Park - Rose Theater ones as a gift from a friend and loved them so much that 2 years later I finally bought an identical replacement pair and treated myself to the A Series - High Class Jes before Curacao and I love them both. (I got James these and he wears them every day. I've always been able to get them at least 40% off, so if you're interested, wait for a sale.) They're fun and well made and not so expensive that you have to beat yourself up if you lose them in a lake like I did once earlier this year.

Skinceuticals Emollience. I've tried many a moisturizer and always come back to this one. It's light and smooth but super moisturizing and nothing else feels as good going on my dry winter skin.

Nars Powermatte Lip Pigment - Save the Queen. I discovered this lipstick through a Sephora sample and now I have the full size in this great mauve-y color. It's matte, stays for hours, looks great on Zoom, and doesn't rub off on your mask. On days I want to look less like a pale, washed out attorney working in a dark corner of her bedroom, I pull this out and it makes me feel fancy.
We do a "Favorite Things" party with my mama friends each year. You can spend up to $25 on your "favorite thing(s)" from the year and you draw names to exchange what you brought. I always love what I get and leave with ideas of several other new things for myself or others when the party is over. Usually it's a sparkly and champagne-soaked evening affair, but this year we did it a little different with a smaller group for an "afternoon tea," outside only and spread out in chairs, but it worked and the holiday fun and mama fellowship were badly needed and still warmly felt, even from 6+ feet apart.
The favorite things I gifted this year were:

Meat Masher. I adore this tool and you should get one. Everytime I use it I can't believe I spent so many adult years without one.

Mask Lanyard. I don't run errands often these days, but when I do, I like having this around my neck for the off/on in the car between stops.

Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Covered Mint Jo-Jo's. Cookie of champions. Available once a year, it is with ENORMOUS restraint that I restrict myself to one box.

Trader Joe's Chai Tea Concentrate. Shelf-stable, located in the bottle by the tea bags. I make one every morning around 10 a.m. with warmed skim milk, whisked in my saucepan until frothy, with a little squirt of vanilla syrup in the mug before pouring in the tea and you guys, I'm my own fancy barista and it's the best little mid-morning life-raft in an ocean of emails.

Insulated Mug. I bought this 2-pack to split between my two gifts, but any mug will do!
And the gifts I got were:

(1) Hot chocolate bomb the kids immediately wanted to claim (no) and these shower steamers that smell amazing and will be a nice complement to the bath salts I use at night.
(2) A hand-made blown glass candycane by a friend with far more talent than I have, earrings from a local artist, tea, and a face and eye mask I very much need to try because the wrinkles and dark circles are real.
It was such a fun afternoon with perfect weather and thoughtful gifts.
Other tiny favorites of mine from the last several months, perfect for a stocking:

Fuzzy Socks. I wear them all day, every day, and had to expand my collection. Meanwhile my shoes sit unworn and dusty in the closet.

Pens! Uniball Deluxe Micro Point Blue are my very favorite and when I'm down to a dozen I know it's time to order more.

Tweezerman tweezers. Everyone needs really good, really sharp/precise tweezers. I have a pair that lives in my travel toiletry bag and they've come in handy a million times over the years. Same with small nail scissors.

Measuring Spoons. I love this brand for the regular spoons and my stocking this year will be treated to this set with 2 tsp, 1.5 Tbl, and 2 Tbl scoops.

Bandaids. These, from Target, are adorable and are the only ones that my skin can tolerate for more than an hour. I still have to take them off within 24, but at least I can literally stop the bleeding first.

Miss Maple's Seeds. A random detour to children's books, I found this book for my niece for Christmas and it is the sweetest story. Highly recommend for the children in your life. I also got one for Cora's first grade teacher, who also taught Landon and Claire, and it is perfect for anyone who has taken temporary care of the little seeds in your life.

I'm still working this week, which is kind of the worst as everyone else in my house is out of school and swim lessons and having fun without me. And since I'm not at the office blissfully unaware and listening to Christmas carols, I KNOW they're having fun without me because I can hear them playing games in the house and yards. But the photos of all my medical field friends getting their Covid vaccines have been giving me life and I'm so excited about a gift, cookie, and tiny tradition filled end to the week ahead!

14 comments:

  1. For your Amazon gift card... I bought myself 2 of these fleece lined leggings upon realizing my real pants are not going to enter my life again for quite some time. They have both side and waist pockets (key for me as a chapstick addict). LOVE them (and they have held up great after many washes unlike other fleece lined leggings I've tried): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WPB1DJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

    Other favorite things - and this one is random, but a package opener (received at a favorite thing party a few years ago and now I can't live without it) https://www.amazon.com/Ram-Pro-Retractable-Utility-Snap-Off-Pocket/dp/B0764JVRBT/ref=sr_1_43?dchild=1&keywords=package+opener&qid=1608676748&sr=8-43

    I'm a newfound candle lover, my favorites are (one of these was shared on another post too):
    https://sonshinebath.com/ (in Atlanta) fave scents so far are Calm the F*ck down, Merry Litmas, and Mistletoe kisses

    and a few from my home state of Minnesota:
    https://www.koseligcandleco.com/ (fave scents are sea salt & bamboo, oak moss & rain, and the balsam fir has been amazing for the holidays)
    https://www.sotacracklers.com/ These have a wood wick which makes a very cozy crackling sound - I've liked the Christmas Cabin and Nordic Forest but I know most are currently sold out due to a holiday rush - I'm sure a restock will happen in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting fleece lined leggings!! Totally just added a pair of those to my cart. Love all the candle recs and I look forward to picking one out when they're restocked in January, thank you!!

      Delete
  2. If you're looking for an Amazon gift for yourself, the Texas-scented candle from the Homesick brand is great! Smells wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Vuori long joggers are AMAZING. I, no lie, am wearing mine right now. I am 5’10” and built similarly to you so I think you’d like them. I bought a regular pair this summer and yes, they are too short but they are still so wonderful that I kept them and will wear them again when it is warm up here in Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good to know! They're going to be my "I took down all the Christmas decorations all by myself" present in early January.

      Delete
  4. My latest personal success from Amazon arrived today -- I've discovered sari wrap skirts this year and the Wevez ones on Amazon were much cheaper than many others and I LOVE the colors and designs I received (I got a mystery pack, so it's like Christmas morning when it arrives!). If you don't love them all you can gift some, so easy since they're so flexibly sized. (There is,also quite a resale market on Facebook where you could even turn a profit!) Anyway, they are very comfy for sitting at home or going out, over leggings if it's cold or without when it's warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun! I feel like my mom would love these too, thank you!!

      Delete
  5. Butter socks from Nordstrom. There are no words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! I haven't seen these before and I LOVE cozy socks. Definitely adding these to my cart. We'll call it a belated stocking stuffer.

      Delete
  6. I used to host an annual girls only holiday party, too, with a similar gift requirement to "buy a gift you want to buy for yourself". Great minds think alike on that one! Ditto on the importance of good tweezers and SkinCeuticals. Books and cookbooks always. I'm intrigued by the Vuori joggers, too. You know where to send all too-short pants. ;) Where did you find Claire's awesome slippers (shown in the Pajama Reading Day photo)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. If your feet are freezing at night like mine (I swear sometimes I can’t fall asleep because my feet are so dang cold), this heating pad tucked under the bed sheet is heaven. I turn mine on while I wash up for bed, so when I came ask under the covers it is heavenly! https://www.amazon.com/Sunbag-Electric-Extra-Fast-Heating-Settings/dp/B08CMQC9XG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=foot+heating+pad&qid=1608861895&sprefix=foot+heat&sr=8-3

    ReplyDelete
  8. For your gift card: a milk frother! I got myself one back in March and my afternoon lattes have become a highlight of my quarantine life. I heat my milk in the microwave for a minute, then froth. Bonsenkitchen Electric Milk Frother, Automatic Milk Foam Maker for Bulletproof coffee, Matcha, Hot Chocolate Stainless Steel Whisk Battery Operated Mini Drink Mixer Blender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076F3C4XP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_Shw5FbR7NT4QW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since I know you are a bath person I wanted to share my favorite bath bomb company- https://sugarandspruce.com/collections/bath They smell amazing, one is enough for my big soaking tub, they don't make the tub slippery, generally don't stain the tub (there is one dark grey one that did but I didn't care for that scent anyway) and make my skin feel/smell amazing.

    I also have several tea companies to recommend (although it sounds like you are stocked up currently), but these are two small companies that offer unique blends and flavors I haven't found elsewhere-
    https://oldbarreltea.com/ They are based in New Mexico and do amazing blends. My favorite is the Blueberry/Lemongrass as an iced tea.
    https://august.la/ They have really cool combinations. Oolong with Peach Pistachio & Lime, Black tea with Smoke & Dark Fruit and Rooibos with Pumpkin & Caramel are favorites.

    ReplyDelete