Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Little Bit of Me

Landon seems to have received 95% of his physical genetic makeup from his dad. The eyes, the mouth, the ears (and their adorable little infection causing malfunctioning Eustachian tubes), the face in general- it's all JP. His hair is kind of from me, the curls and the light blonde color (my hair spontaneously turned red in high school, prior to that I was golden blonde), but if you see Landon standing next to a picture of JP as a toddler, you have to wonder if I had any role in his conception.

But I like to think he gets a lot of his deeper qualities from me- his love of hugs and cuddles, his love for his doggies (well, JP and I can share credit for that one), his love of books, and of great delight to me- his love of shoes. He loves to pull heels out of my closet and drive them around the house in his shopping cart, periodically handing one to me and clapping when I put it on. He has favorites- he gets especially delighted when I take on and off my gold strappy sandals and on Sunday he spent about 15 minutes trying to maneuver his feet through their crossed straps, tongue sticking out in fierce concentration.

Unfortunately this love of my shoes has extended into of love of removing his. He does try to put them back on, but with limited success.



But at least he gives his shoes the focused attention they deserve.



On a nearly unrelated note, I sat down on the floor tonight, worn out from the day, and said without expecting a response, "Landon, mommy needs a hug." He immediately set down his truck book, walked over to me and curled his head down into my chest (like he does with the dogs) and put his arms around me. I very nearly burst into tears at the utter sweetness of his gesture. JP says he gets that from me too.

9 comments:

  1. That's the stuff Hallmark commercials are made out of! Too cute.
    There's nothing more fun than playing the game "Who did he get X from" ... we finally got some baby pictures of PJO, so we're comparing all three of us as babies. We've concluded that either all babies look the same or PJO and I happen to look a lot alike. weird. Landon will turn out perfectly regardless of which one of you he takes after :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness! that is the sweetest thing EVER! I love how he is trying so hard to put his shoes on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bengali Chick4/1/09, 9:52 AM

    Girl -- do you want your readers to crying first thing in the morning??

    "On a nearly unrelated note, I sat down on the floor tonight, worn out from the day, and said without expecting a response, "Landon, mommy needs a hug." He immediately set down his truck book, walked over to me and curled his head down into my chest (like he does with the dogs) and put his arms around me."

    This is cute overload, crying territory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg that last anecdote totally made me smile = ] so cute and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that's so sweet. My two-year-old now says, "NO WANT TO!" in response to that comment, so I find it extra-special sweet right now.

    Also - Crocs. Not the most attractive shoe on an adult, but easy for a toddler to get on and off by themselves. They also don't require you to find alternative footwear when the shoe gets dropped in the tub ("swim!"), stuck under the faucet ("wash!"), or stomped into a mud puddle caused by the neighbor's sprinklers on a very dry day. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't "know" you or your family but you have posted baby pics of yourself on this blog and I thought Landon kind of looked like you.

    ReplyDelete