Friday, March 27, 2009

Legal Humor

Legally Certifiable led me to this marvelous little site called Courtoons by David Mills. He posts a new one every day, and while they don't make me laugh out loud quite as often as lolcats (and I'm not ashamed to admit it), I almost always giggle. Here are a few of my favorites:









I'm drafting an initial complaint right now and am especially fond of the Bluebook and honest briefing cartoons. I feel a little overwhelmed. I know I'm supposed to "enjoy challenge" and want "increased responsibility" and I'm sure I used all those buzzwords in my interviews, but as I stare at this blank word document, having been tasked by a partner a want to impress with drafting this complaint, I think rote repetition and menial tasks sound quite lovely.

Also, is it a little sad that I find these courtoons so hilarious? I read this article the other day about an Australian swim coach tossing a crocodile in the pool to make his kids swim faster and my first thoughts were: (1) where are the plaintiffs lawyers? and (2) was there a consent form and what parent would sign it?

I guess it means that I really am a lawyer.

8 comments:

  1. If finding them hilarious makes you sad, then I'm a very sad human being as well. I cracked up at these. I think if I showed my current boss ("The King of Meticulous Citation") the Blue Book one, he might keel over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know all about that kind of boss. A partner I worked for in Chicago once said, "Anyone can be smart [regarding legal arguments and substance]. A great attorney is meticiulous and perfect in her work product." She said while handing me back a memo I slaved over because she needed an errant comma removed before she could bear to read it.

    And I don't know who she hangs around, but life experience has not taught me that "anyone can be smart."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha funny site. If you scroll down the 3/6/09 one is SO accurate. It's almost too sad to be funny. There is also an awesome Blackberry one posted. It made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one regarding Miranda rights and the harmless error standard on appeal made me crack up. I work in one of the 14 appellate courts and just finished writing something about harmless error even though the 4th Amendment was violated haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOLcats and Courtoons = what makes ATL worth reading. IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cracked up at these, too. I'm in the middle of a major paper and going to go read more of these instead of writing it. Maybe that will give the sleep clouds in my head time to dissolve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are fantastic. I love the one about italicizing the commas, but I especially love the one about the response to the discovery request. I spend half my life dealing with discovery issues. I'm going to print that one and put it on my office wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great! Thanks for posting them. I am going to have to visit that site often.

    Check out this blog sometime if you have a few moments to spare: http://neverbeenlivedbefore.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete