Tuesday, March 25, 2008

An Eerie Silence

Last night Landon went to bed at 7:30. He generally goes down between 8:30 and 9, but he was so fussy and obviously exhausted (Maya said he didn't take a good nap yesterday because he was so excited to see all his babies again), that I stuck him in his crib at 7:28 and was amazed to find him fast asleep two minutes later. Most baby books tell you to try putting your baby down earlier to get him to sleep in later, but this has never worked for us. I was sure he'd be up at 3 AM ready to party, but I had been trying to make dinner for over an hour and was just relieved to go finish what I'd started.

This morning I woke up at 7 AM to completely silence. I was about to roll over and go back to sleep when I realized that we hadn't heard a peep from Landon in 11.5 hours. Complete terror gripped me- I was certain that he was laying lifeless in his crib. It took me a few minutes to get up the courage to walk in his room but the second I opened the door, I heard his little sleeping sounds and felt the relief and joy wash over me. I nearly screamed in happiness- at 8.5 months old, Landon has FINALLY given himself and his exhausted parents a full night of restful sleep. I immediately woke up JP to inform him of the good news, and a few minutes later, at 7:30, we heard Landon happily babbling to his mobile. It may have been one of the best mornings of my life.

12 comments:

  1. Holy cow!!! Congrats!

    Cooper finally did the same last night, too! Maybe some sort of planet alignment?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that is SO SCARY when they do that after months and months of Not Sleeping.

    Hooray for solid sleep! Let's hope this is a permenant change and not just a blip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exciting! We have been so blessed with a good sleeper but I still have those panicked moments every once in awhile when he sleeps late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayy for good night sleeps (for you JP AND Landon!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous! My kid woke up last night at about 9:45, and again at around 6:00 am. *sigh* He's 8 months old today. Maybe when he's 14 he'll sleep?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!! I bet you feel like a new woman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Tell Landon to keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - yay Landon! You're giving this sleepless mama some hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. He just needed a trip to Texas to wack his system into normalcy :-) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratulations! What a good baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YAY!!!! FINALLY! Congrats on that big and welcome milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My 8 year old daughter doesn't move a muscle when she sleeps and i've yet to see her chest rise and fall as she breathes. Even now when I go in to wake her in the AM for school, I sometimes feel so jarred by her lack of movement.

    I hope Landon continues this new sleep pattern for you!

    ReplyDelete