Saturday, March 8, 2008

Belugaless

I am sitting in an under-heated undergraduate library, wearing my puffy down coat, and striving to create a con law outline without actually having read con law. Snow is pouring down from the heavens. I am freezing. I am tired. I am without belugas.

Yes, today was supposed to be the day I lived my own version of the famed Raffi song, but I had to reschedule it due to a baby being home from daycare for the millionth time this quarter, JP's work suddenly demanding his presence on nights and weekends, and my shocking lack of preparedness for finals. April 5th is now the big day- I'm sure the belugas are looking forward to it as much as I am.

Our little patient continues to do well. We went to Target yesterday and I let him pick out a toy and variety of band-aid. I lined up three options on a shelf and after much careful consideration, reading of the labels, and weighing of the costs and benefits, Landon selected the Baby's First Blocks and Spider-Man band-aids (and by "selected" I mean lunged his body towards and tried to cram in his mouth). We also purchased a small plastic watering can after I let my cart get too close to a shelf and looked away for half a second. When I looked back, he had a water can sticking out of his mouth. Luckily it was only $1.99, and I figure it will be fun to play with in the tub.

As you can see Landon is already working on the "learning objectives" displayed on the toy's box: "Filling the bucket with blocks, dumping them out, and starting over is great for eye-hand coordination and other early skills. Then baby can move on to sorting and stacking, learning about identifying and matching shapes while having fun!"



Oh, wait - sucking on the sorting tray, without even noticing the brightly colored blocks within isn't an objective? At least he's easily entertained. I don't think every toy needs an educational purpose anyway - have you noticed the Fisher-Price "Laugh and Learn" series? A lot of the stuff looks cute, but I find it funny that they try to pack the word "learn" into the descriptions as many times as possible. Like the "Laugh and Learn Learning Toolbench". I mean really? It couldn't just be a fun bench that baby can hit with a hammer?


Anyway, Landon still has a terrible cough- he sounds like a 60-year-old smoker hacking up a lung. Every time I think about getting worried about it, I just remind myself that three doctors and two nurses examined him and listened to his lungs on Thursday and if they didn't mention anything except a cold, then that's probably all it is. Plus he's seeing two doctors next week for various follow-ups, so knowing those are in our future makes me less apprehensive. Other than the hacking, he is doing great. He doesn't seem to have any pain, is very playful, and is drinking well. He still hasn't eaten much baby food, I think it's because he's wary of his beloved bottle being taken away again. He demanded a few sucks every twenty minutes Thursday and Friday. I'm pretty sure he was testing me, and as he sucked, he'd eye me with deep suspicion.


Alright, study break over - I need to at least read through an entire con law outline if I'm not going to read the book. It's a good thing there's only five exams left in my law school career, I keep doing less and less to prepare for them.

6 comments:

  1. He looks so darn healthy - he's sick?! (And cool with the Spidey bandaid.) And cute, but you knew that already. :)

    And I feel so much better -- Eden did the exact same thing with the lid. I kept showing her how the blocks dropped in...and she just loved putting the lid in her mouth. Eventually we graduated to banging blocks against the lid and now, ignoring the lid to bang the blocks together and sometimes against the blocks I hold. Progress.

    Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have several suggestions:

    1. There's a BarBri Con Law video featuring a professor from Duke law. I didn't do any reading for Con law, just watche the video, and did decently well on the final. I don't read for classes anymore at all.

    2. Instead of letting him chew on his toy, just give him a cigar! It should work well with the smoker cough . . . and will give him a charming WInston Churchill sort of appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...you need to go home and curl up in snuggly pjs with some cocoa. Bear has been coughing something awful too. I hate that. I have been coating his feet with vicks vapor rub and putting socks over them. And the humidifer is going full blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness- your Laugh and Learn comments are great-- when your finals are over, check out Buy, Buy Baby-- it's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "Prof from Duke Law" (now dean of a new CA law school) I think is Erwin Chemerinski, who is Con Law God. I read his treatise instead of reading the casebook and got one of my best grades.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found that a steam vaporizer works WAY better than a cool-mist humidifier when the little guys are sick (or me). If you're lucky, you can find the Vicks Vaporizer additive. I also love the Vicks Baby Vapor rub...got lavendar and rosemary in it. Both seem to really help calm the cough a bit and the warm steam soothe the dry throat. Hope he's feeling better (and love the band-aids...totally underrated as fashion accessories!)

    ReplyDelete