Tuesday, October 6, 2009

First Pregnancy Dream

I had my first pregnancy dream last night. With Landon I only dreamed about being pregnant or having a baby twice. Both times I had twins and both times I cried and woke up terrified.

This time I was in labor. I never felt "labor" last time- my water just broke and next thing I knew I was in a hospital hooked up to a monitor that confirmed I wasn't having any contractions. Landon was ready to make his debut, but he hadn't told the rest of my body yet. So I don't really know what going into labor feels like, but in my dream, I was sure this was it. I went to a hospital in Austin. It was dark and instutional feeling- now that I think about it, it looked exactly like the hospital in a recent Mad Men episode when Betty has her baby. I didn't like it. I felt uncomfortable and wasn't sure if they'd let me have the kind of labor I wanted. After they checked me in and walked out of the room, I left. I got on a plane and flew to Chicago, checked myself into Northwestern, where I had Landon, found my old midwife and felt very at peace. I called JP (who apparently had been in class during all this) to let him know that (1) I was in labor and (2) I was in Chicago.

I was very nervous on the plane ride that I might really starting the labor process. But I didn't and apparently no one was concerned about the hugely pregnant woman in an aisle seat. But then, I wasn't really very pregnant. I only had a tiny bump and maybe people didn't notice.

By the time JP got to the hosptial it was apparent that not only was I NOT in labor, but I was only about 15 weeks pregnant. And then I woke up.

So that was odd. I did wake up still holding on to my happy, peaceful Chicago glow. I felt so good when the plane touched down near the city and when I walked on the sidewalk in front of the hospital. I wonder if I'll have more Chicago dreams now that I'm pregnant. I'm sleeping more soundly than usual and my only other experience with pregnancy took place entirely in that city.

No comments:

Post a Comment