Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Who Is That Woman In The Mirror?

I stopped at Old Navy on the way home from my midwife appointment yesterday to buy a swim suit. I'm hoping to take up swimming again this summer because it's going to be 300 degrees in Austin and I think it will be nice to feel weightless. I was in the dressing room trying on various maternity swim suits when I caught a look at myself in the mirror (which I had been avoiding), and I immediately thought- who is that woman? She has huge thighs! Her arms are flabby! Her back is flabby! What the hell happened to me?! I can handle the belly- it's big and it gets in the way sometimes, but it was expected. This squishiness that is now spreading elsewhere is not acceptable. The other day I noticed my legs touched when I walked- ah! When did that happen?

I couldn't buy the suit. I've decided the only swimming I'll be doing is in my bathtub where no one can see me and I don't have to wear a swimsuit that squishes any squishiness to make it look even squishier. I may change my mind when I actually get to Texas and start melting - perhaps I can find an old fashioned bathing costume...

Side note: I have my first exam today at 2pm. I haven't finished my outlines. I haven't read the outlines that I have finished. I can't figure out why I'm not at all concerned about this. What am I going to be like as a 3L?

4 comments:

  1. This is when it's good to be a celebrity with a personal trainer/chef/shopper. I think it's probably the only way to look skinny everywhere else and have that adorable pregnant belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add -- how realistic is it to only have your fat go to your belly? If I gain weight it goes all over (perhaps with a personal trainer doing tons of exercise.. I dunno). It really does depend on body type. My cheeks get chubby and my arms tend to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure this is going to be comforting, but once you start to waddle, your legs probably won't touch anymore.

    However, your back will probably be killing you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe, don't be self-conscious. I'm sure you're beautiful! Aside from that fact, how could you expect yourself to withstand the torture of the Texas summer without a swim here and there??! The 300 degrees wasn't an exhaggeration! LOL

    ReplyDelete