Monday, May 21, 2007

Pregnancy Brings Out the Polite in Cabdrivers

I had my 6th midwife appointment today (with glucose tolerance test- that orange soda drink was something I would have loved at age 7, but found nauseating as a grownup). Afterward I decided to walk home- it's a little over 3 miles and this week I'll be sitting on my butt in the library studying, sitting to take exams, and sitting in the car to drive to Texas, so I thought I should take advantage of the exercise (the fact that this meant I cold stop in Gap and Old Navy on my way home was pure coincidence). I was at a busy corner of Michigan Avenue and like a good pedestrian, patiently waited for the little white man on the crosswalk sign to tell me to go. I started walking and suddenly a cab driver thought the red light had a hint of yellow left in it and gunned it across the intersection. I was in the middle of the road, he stopped, I stopped, gave him an evil glare, and he rolled down his window and in heavily accented English said "I'm so sorry ma'am". A sincere apology! From a cabbie! I have never witnessed such a phenomenon. I suppose having a big pregnant belly stick out in front of you can bring out the politeness in people.*

*It also tends to bring out a need to touch you and ask personal questions, but there really has been a marked increase in smiles and politeness around me in the past few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment