Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Lot of Happy

One of the many side effects of parenthood is an inability to sleep in. Well, that probably isn't true, I can certainly sleep in longer than the 6:37 which Landon has carefully selected as his wake up time, but I can't sleep in much past 8:30. 8:30 is luxurious - it's 2 hours later than normal, but when you went to bed around 2 AM and everyone else in the apartment is asleep, 8:30 is a highly irritating time to be awake. JP can sleep anytime, anywhere, for as long as anyone will let him, so after I got bored cuddling with him while he pretended to be in such deep sleep that he absolutely could not respond to my attempts at conversation, I found my friend's laptop and caught up on my Olympic headlines and other news. JP kept sneaking out of the reception last night to watch the swimming at the hotel bar, and given that a lot of those guys are close friends of his, I didn't even try to pretend I was irritated. Besides, I had several sexy dance partners to choose from among my law school ladies.

The wedding was absolutely wonderful. I remember telling people at my wedding that I thought I was going to burst I was so happy, and that is exactly how my friend looked last night. She was radiant and I don't know when I've ever been so happy for someone. The last wedding I went to (the one in which I was a 7-months-pregnant bridesmaid) ended in divorce 5 months later, so it was nice to attend one in which I had near certainty this couple was going to make it. They have such a strong faith, such a strong family, and such a strong commitment to each other... I kept tearing up thinking about them, thinking about my wedding, thinking about how absurdly happy I was then and still am now. They're both wonderful people and while I realize I just used the word "happy" like six times in this paragraph, it's just the best way I can describe last night. The bride and groom are beloved by so many, all of whom were so obviously thrilled for them... well it was truly a happy, festive occasion.

It was also a great party. They're both from large Irish Catholic families who made good use of the three open bars and live band. I loved seeing the aunts, uncles, and grandparents out dancing to rap and other club music. JP and I laughed thinking that we'll be out there bogeying in thirty years to whatever crazy music our kids are listening to. My friend the bride is a great dancer and I was glad to see her so relaxed and having fun. My wedding was, by far, the happiest, most fun day of my life. I wasn't nervous, I wasn't stressed, I was just so very happy - I tried as hard as I could to soak up every second, but truthfully I think my memories of that day are pieced together from photographs. It's just such a blur. I've been to weddings where the bride looks so stressed she's not really enjoying herself, and I'm glad that wasn't the case with my friend. It's one of the best, biggest parties you'll ever get to throw for yourself - soak it up! Everyone had a great time and my feet are sore from all the dancing. The brand new, very high red satin heels probably didn't help, but they were adorable and totally worth it - there will be pictures.

And now it's a beautiful morning in Chicago. JP is awake - to check the morning swimming results, not so much to get an early start on all my plans to enjoy my city, but enjoy it we shall. Or I'll enjoy it and he's promised to try very hard not to mention the great land of Texas every five seconds. I wonder at what time it's acceptable for me to make enough noise to wake up my friends to enjoy it with me...

5 comments:

  1. Hey LL- Olympic swimming has been GREAT so far. It's crazy to watch so many people that are former teammates of my brother's. I don't actually know any of them personally, but I have sat in the stands with their parents a time or two! :) Anyway, when you get a chance, I tagged you for a meme on my blog. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. divorce after five months? that's like a record! My cousing lasted a year...There is nothing better than a fun wedding! Glad you had fun dance partners :) wow 8:30 as "sleeping in"? I have a lot of adjusting to do when my baby is born.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lag Liv, hope you're enjoying the swimming! Would love to hear more from you on how you see the swimming. I'm finding it really interesting to look at teh underwater angles - and how well you see the stroke. Breastroke has changed hugely since I first learned it (that saying, between the age of 10 and 11 they changed the way they taught breaststroke arms - to go straight down not around the sides. I was already doing that because I was lazy!)

    The legs seem to have changed heaps since then too.

    One thing I do find interesting is that they way the strokes look underwater is quite different to over the water. My personal feeling is that the over the water picture shows you a much better idea of what it feels like to to butterfly (compared to under the water), but the under the water view is a better way of picturing the feeling of breaststroke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip! Hope the Sunday was good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It's one of the best, biggest parties you'll ever get to throw for yourself - soak it up!"

    So true and such great advice. Unfortunately not every woman can have that.

    ReplyDelete