Monday, September 24, 2007

First Day

Well, there were no tears. Landon and I left our apartment right on time- a miracle made possible by making JP feed Landon while I jumped in the shower. He was quietly content in his car seat during the ride to Hyde Park and fast asleep by the time we got to Maya's apartment. (Brief aside: I can't figure out what to call our childcare provider. She's not really a nanny because she watches babies in her own home. It's not really a daycare because it's small, in-house, and informal. She's not really a babysitter because it's a little more formal than that. So I'm just going to call her by her name.) I had to park illegally to run up to her apartment and since Landon was still asleep I didn't even hug or hold him, I just handed her the car seat and left. I think that made it much easier- if I was holding him and had to physically put him in her arms, I might have gotten a bit misty eyed. But I really like her and I know she'll take loving care of him.

My classes have been good. I loved finance- we have a real textbook with problems and answers- and I get to use a calculator again! So exciting. Public International Law was also great. The prof is visiting, but I liked him a lot and it's a fascinating topic. I feel like I should know more about international politics and law, so this class is really more about making me a better citizen than lawyer. It was weird to be in class and have to remind myself that I'm a mom. So far I've just been at home with the baby, so there hasn't been an opportunity to forget. I'm in class just like I was last year- same building, people, professors, etc.- but there's something in my life that's so different. It's hard to explain, but there were definite stretches of time that it seemed almost unreal that I had taken a baby, my baby, to daycare earlier that morning.

Anyway, I'm off to the gym for the first time in 5 months and then I'll be picking up the little guy for some quality cuddling time at home!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad dropping him off went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it went so well! And gym time, wow, that is impressive! We're not going to recognize you next year :-)

    As for that pesky homework, I don't do much of mine anymore and I don't have a baby for an excuse ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the first day went well!

    ReplyDelete