Sunday, April 23, 2023

TAYLOR SWIFT

Friends, I tried to be practical and frugal after I was initially not selected by the Ticketmaster gods to buy tickets to any of the Taylor Swift Dallas shows. It's okay, I decided, it's been an expensive year, the girls have never been to a concert so they don't know what they're missing and we never do big crowded things. This is fine. I planned my birthday Rice Ladies trip to Colorado for the same weekend and didn't think about it again.

Then everyone I know went to one of the Dallas shows and I was filled with crushing regret. Not for my trip- that was a highlight of my year, but I felt like this concert was one of those moments where whatever the cost and hassle, you're just glad you went. And so I jumped on the internet, decided we didn't really need to landscape our front yard this year, and bought three tickets to one of the Houston shows coming up in two weeks. Middle of the stadium, halfway up, directly in front of the stage. They cost a ridiculous amount, but I hadn't been to a concert since 2006 and the girls had never been and I decided this was every concert and sporting event we've never taken them to because we're bad about planning things that involve local hassles.

We told the girls a week later. They flipped. I booked us a hotel room north of Houston, on what would be our drive back home to Dallas. On Friday I checked them out of school early and we road tripped down I-45, playing a 4 hour "Road to Taylor" playlist Claire had made.
We stopped at Five Guys (Claire's favorite restaurant) for an early dinner, checked into our hotel, changed, and continued on to NRG Stadium. Claire wore an old pair of white shorts I no longer fit into, my favorite pink silk top, my earrings, my necklace, and most of my makeup. I can't believe how grown up and teenagerish she's looking, my little 12 year old Clairebear.
We parked on the street near the stadium and followed the crowds streaming in.

There were lines and crowds and a palpable buzz from thousands of people who were VERY EXCITED to be there. It was wonderful.
We checked out the merch, bought snacks, and found our seats. They were amazing.

The group to Claire's left were four friends in their early-20's who could NOT have been more excited to be there. They adopted Claire for the night and she danced and sang with the best of them. Everyone around us - moms with kids, moms with mom friends, 20-somethings, 30-somethings, dads with delighted daughters, EVERYONE, was just so excited. The show hadn't started yet and we already knew it was going to be worth every penny.

And then Taylor came out, to screams and tears and explosions of joy all around us.
She performed 44 songs over 3+ hours and it was simply incredible. The show, the graphics, the design, her costumes and costume changes, the sets, her songs, her voice, her little talks between them... it was a core memory I'll never forget. Both the actual show, but also watching the girls watch it.
Claire danced and sang and screamed and cried the entire time. Cora sang to the songs she knew, smiled through the ones she didn't, and true to the Cora that she is, announced she was done about halfway through because it was time to go to bed. She still enjoyed it - loved it, she said, and she does NOT exaggerate just to be nice - but if she could have curled up on the floor of the stadium for a 30 minute nap and then popped back up for the last hour, she absolutely would have done so. I went and got her a funnel cake instead, which seemed to do the trick.
We walked back to the car, retelling our favorite parts, and drove back to the hotel. Cora was asleep before the car was in drive. Claire made it 10 more minutes and then she was out. We got to the hotel about 1:15 a.m., both girls were sleepily agreeable to transferring themselves to the bed from my car and we all passed out. It was the best night ever.

We woke up around 8 the next morning, enjoyed the hotel breakfast, and did some shopping for summer clothes since I had them stuck with me for the next several hours and drove back to Dallas, arriving just in time to hug our boys before they headed out for a swim meet.

Another day later and I'm still just buzzing from the whole thing. It was an EXTRAORDINARY concert. I don't know that any other will ever top it. She is an amazing performer, a talented artist, and a brilliant businesswoman. Cheering her on with my girls was something I will simply never forget, and I know they won't either. No regrets. We'll make the front yard look nicer next year.

14 comments:

  1. AWESOME! I was lucky enough to get tickets for one of the Minneapolis shows for myself, sister, and sister-in-law, and then started feeling like I really also wanted to take my 13 year old daughter who is a HUGE Swiftie (but was always very practical about the concert - never asked to go, was excited for me to go and tends to be very frugal).... I was feeling more and more like I wanted to take her, and then by some miracle I got an email inviting me to basically bid for one of the random pairs of tickets left for the 2nd Mpls night (my original tickets were with my sister's ticketmaster account) and I GOT THEM! So now I'm going twice, and I am worried about MY OWN stamina, much less Taylor's :) I can't wait!! Our shows aren't until late June and I've been watching the surprise songs each night holding out hope for my favorites still being left when she gets to us! No matter what I'll LOVE EVERY MOMENT! I'm so glad you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited for you and your daughter!! I would LOVE to see the show twice- it's just so much, when it ended my first thought was I'd love to do that again! It's going to be absolutely amazing.

      Delete
  2. OMG! I did the exact same thing for a Tampa concert. I thought about going, decided not to, and then starting seeing snippets of the show all over TikTok (which, yes, I'm too old for but whatever) and hearing from friends how great the show is. So I bought 2 tickets last-minute for an obscene amount of money and drove to Tampa with my youngest daughter. Best decision ever. I'm so grateful I was able to afford (sort of) this last minute indulgence and see an unbelievable concert with my daughter. The tickets were worth every single penny. I've been listening to Are You Ready, Don't Blame Me and Bejeweled on repeat for the last week. And the production values! The effects created by the PixMob bracelets were mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! I should have mentioned the bracelets- I thought they were so amazing. What an incredible show. I'm still not over it.

      Delete
  3. I feel exactly the same! I spent WAY too much money on tickets for her next to last show in LA for myself and my 15 year old daughter. It is a purchase I do not regret in any way and we haven't even seen the show yet! Core memory is a perfect description and I'm so excited to share that time with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! No regrets. Core memory forever. I'm so excited for you.

      Delete
    2. I saw your comment below about flying to another city for a second show. I may have checked out tickets for the show the night after ours, yesterday. I mean, we're already going to be there.....

      Delete
  4. Oh I want to go and take my two daughters so badly, but the prices are just so high for the shows near me. And I too was not selected for the presale. Still thinking about it, because how can we miss it?! But haven't been able to click "purchase" yet. Can I ask what site you used to purchase yours? Been looking at a few different ones, but the prices all seem similarly crazy. So glad you got to go though - what a memory!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm leaning Team Go as well. I just think I will be so sad if we miss it. Thanks for the info!!

      Delete
  5. Same as everyone - bought super expensive tickets for me and my 11 yo daughter in Mpls and my husband and I kept saying it's worth it for a core memory! I am SOOO excited after reading about this and feel so happy we splurged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I have spent a not insubstantial amount of time wondering if I can fly to a city later on the tour and watch it again. You are going to love it so much and I'm so excited for you and your daughter.

      Delete
  6. I drove down to the show from Fort Worth on Saturday, and it was so worth all of the money and hassle and miles. The best part for me was the joy and unapologetic fandom from being surrounded by so many girls and women living their best sequined lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! (The all-caps appears to be a theme of my comment responses, but there's just so much YES.) The people around us in the stands were absolutely part of the amazing experience- it was just so unapologetically joyful.

      Delete
  7. I can feel the joy and emotion from these photos and it gave me a little lump in my throat haha. I love this for you and your girls!

    ReplyDelete