Friday, July 1, 2022

ICELAND Day 8: First the Fog

Day 8: East Fjords, allegedly

On Day 8 we woke up to clear skies and beautiful views!
We got very excited that we might actually see some of the east fjords on our five hour drive today and we walked down the lake to breakfast with some pep in our step.
Only to have it start raining the moment we loaded up the car. At this point, we finally let the kids just have their electronics, turned on our audio book (still working through the Harry Potter series) and tried to ignore what were probably spectacular views out our windows if only the rain and fog would let up. Which to be fair to the weather, they occasionally did, taunting us with waterfalls and canyons galore.
I did some googling and multiple reputable websites told me that June is the "least rainy" month of the year here, but my cute new sunglasses that have only left their case once on this trip would disagree. Luckily it was just a drive day and we didn't have any activities planned and who needs to see fjords and reindeer anyway (sob).

On the upside, we got our Flytographer pictures back from our first full day here and despite basement-level expectations (*crazy* high winds; very cold temps; mildly cranky family members), they are SO GREAT! And the skies are so blue! I don't think we realized how rare and special that was.
What I was hoping from this session was a few pictures of us, as a family (with me actually in them), that showed us as we are on our adventures. And they did!
I really truly love them.
My little adventurers. I'll treasure these.
Thank you Rakel!!
We got to our hotel, Brunnhóll Guesthouse, which was just lovely, and had our biggest triple room yet (unless we happen to have a cottage or apartment, we've been staying in two rooms: a triple for the girls and a double for the boys).
James only just fits in the European style single beds, but we've all slept well at every stop.
We ate dinner at the hotel on the farm and went to bed hoping we'd see the glacier allegedly in front of us in the morning.

This is where I admit to some vacation worries and I am usually pretty worry free on vacation. No one seemed to mind the rain, but we had 12 "points of interest" to see the next morning and I was really excited about all of them. I had weird dreams all night of heavy storms just pouring on us and opened our blackout curtains (the best ones on the trip so far! Tripadvisor should have a separate review category for blackout curtains in places where it is light 24/7) with a feeling of dread...

No comments:

Post a Comment