Sunday, August 15, 2021

UTAZ Road Trip: Planning & Logistics

I have been planning this trip in some part since 2016 when we did our first Utah trip to Arches and Canyonlands National Parks in Moab.
I knew we wanted to continue with the rest of the Mighty Five, but wanted to wait until our kids were a little older so we could do some of their most iconic hikes and this plan worked out perfectly. I'm so glad we already did Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands- it allowed us to start there with only one night as opposed to the 5-6 we'd otherwise need. Plus, doing Arches and Canyonlands with young kids was great- the hikes are fairly short and it's a lot of lookout points and exploring; whereas Zion and Escalante involved much longer/steeper hikes we couldn't have done with our baby Cora in her backpack and an enthusiastic but short-legged 5-year-old Claire.
When I plan our trips I usually make a basic itinerary based on driving time, stops, lodging, and some bullet point highlights of what we might do there. I'm all for flexibility once we arrive, and I will take a Park Ranger's recommendation over anything I've researched, but I like having an idea of what the notable things to do/see are, so if we miss them, it's on purpose, and not because we didn't know they were there.
(Abbreviated version of our itinerary abvoe; the one I printed out and brought with me had more details on the hikes and our meal plans for each day, like the line below.)
I keep a document on my computer and add to it as I have time to google some travel blogs or reviews. I also keep a packing list with things I've read or recommendations from others.
In the end I brought everything on there and we used and/or were glad for it all. The kids all got their own hydration backpacks for Easter and that was so great. These hikes were HOT and long and there is no way our old practice of letting the kids drink off ours would have worked.
This trip involved a lot of food packing- we had plans to make our lunches in the car/lodging each day to eat on the drive or while on a hike. I also planned to make dinner in any of our rooms with kitchens like Cable Mountain Lodge and our Yurt. I also knew we'd be in pretty small towns with pretty small grocery stores (SO small; I actually overestimated their size and stock) so whatever I could bring from home I should. Then there was the complicating factor of it being over 100 degrees in many places we were driving to, so all food items had to be something that wouldn't melt if it had to sit in the car during a hike between lodging locations. The small white bin is the one that goes in the main part of the car with that day's; the other two are basically mobile pantries with ingredients, kitchen tools, and my electric kettle.
And finally, we had the shoes. So many shoes. We needed hiking shoes (and/or the kids' regular athletic shoes), an old pair of hiking or athletic shoes to be worn once during The Narrows, water sandals for our hike to/in a water fall, and some sort of flip flop or sandal to throw on as needed when not hiking.
But really, compared to packing for our usual Christmas ski road trips, this was nothing. The kids clothes were in a big old swimming duffel bag with their packing cubes, I had a small suitcase, James had a small duffel, our toiletries were in a bag, and everything else was food or shoes in their respective bins. It worked great, even with all the lodging changes.
The kids were responsible for packing their own backpacks of entertainment. We typically do hour-long cycles on and then off electronics, with books or coloring to fill the kindle-gaps. This time we did audio books for the first time- listening to Harry Potter books 1 and 2 - and that was a huge hit. Particularly since once we crossed into Utah on Day 2 we didn't allow electronics again until the long drive home on Day 11. Cora had some questions about that...
All the driving went smoothly and the views through nearly all of Utah were just incredible. We had one mishap when we got to Escalante on Day 3 and discovered they'd mixed-up our reservation and thought we were coming on the day we were supposed to leave. They were completely booked and so apologetic. Luckily we were able to bump up our Zion reservation (to a bigger, nicer suite that was completely worth the extra $30/night) and they comped us dinner in town while I re-worked our itinerary.
We had to drive 2.5 more hours to get to Zion, hours I gallantly volunteered to do because James falls asleep when driving after he eats and he'd already driven every mile of the trip so far. Things went pretty well until a cow decided to walk across the highway and pause to stare at me as I slammed on our brakes to avoid hitting it. Children screamed, items were thrown around the car's interior, and the cow stood placidly, staring me directly in the eyes as I came to a complete stop and then slowly drove around him.

So that was exciting. Otherwise, I rode shot-gun and James drove 3,153 miles and no cows were harmed on any of them.
I thought I'd do a little link/gear round-up here. For the most part, you don't need a lot of special gear to go hiking. We are hotel/vrbo people and not campers, so the gear is pretty minimal, but here are some things I love:

My Hiking Backpack: after years of using an old North Face backpack I bought in law school and then a small hydration pack from Costco, I finally bought a real day hiking backpack at the REI sale and I LOVE it. It fits me perfectly, holds a 3L hydration pouch, has the perfect number of pockets, and clips together at the hips and chest for perfect support.

Hiking Shoes: You don't have to have hiking shoes, and the kids used running shoes, but the extra grip and support is really nice, especially for some of our more intense hikes. I oderered these on sale at Merrell and I absolutely love them. Rainbow colors, fantastic fit- they made me smile everytime I looked down at my toes (which was a lot, the ground was uneven most of the time).

Athletic Clothes: I always wear t-shirts over tanks for better sun protection. I like these tees from Target and the two I own were the first things I wore again whenever I was able to do wash. For bottoms, I have some great hiking pants, but it was so hot I either wore my Lulu running shorts or leggings with side pockets to hold my phone (which I used as my camera). Everyone got a pair of wool socks for the Narrows (and any other hikes, but especially the Narrows to prevent chafing in the water) and I loved my Smartwool and Wrightsocks best.

Hats!: I wore this hat the most because it was light, covered the top of my head, stayed on even in the wind (which my old hiking hat did NOT).

Hiking Poles: We'd never used these before, but they were strongly recommended for the Narrows (and now having done the hike, I'd say ESSENTIAL for the Narrows). I bought these TrailBuddy Trekking Poles and they were great. I could break them down and clip them onto a special cord of my new hiking backpack so they were out of the way, and then use and extend them when needed. We didn't use them for any other hikes besides the Narrows, but could definitely see ourselves doing so in the future, so I'm gald we have them.

Microfiber Towels: I bought 3 of these years ago for one of our beach trips and we've used them on nearly every vacation since. They pack up so small, super absorbent, and dry quickly. We always had one or two in our hiking backpacks and used them frequently for various reasons.

On the electronic side of things, I used the Gaia Earth app to download trail maps offline (we didn't have cell service almost anywhere we went, so don't count on being able to access google maps or the internet) and the GyPSy Guide app to talk us through several of the parks.

Mostly the packing was putting together things we already own - first aid kit items in an old Clinique bonus bag, flashlights, our microfiber towels, dry bag, and LOTS of sunscreen. In the end I feel like we had everything we needed and nothing we didn't use!

Let the adventuring begin!

9 comments:

  1. Love love love seeing the logistics! Is that Notion you are using for lists etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, no, it's a Microsoft Word document with a chart inserted - basically as low-tech and dull as you can get! Thanks to work, Word and Excel dominate my whole life, so I've figured how to make my personal stuff work in it too.

      Delete
  2. Love seeing snapshots of your itinerary. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're fun to write and so fun for me to read years later <3.

      Delete
  3. This post is so fascinating to me! First of all, I love seeing logistics and packing lists and pretty much anything organization related...but then to see how you're making these amazing trips happen for your family of 5 is truly so inspiring. I feel like I can barely function as a mom (of 1 toddler) and a teacher and make dinner on a weeknight and here you are doing extremely well planned road trips with long hikes and bringing your own food and blogging about it to boot! Do you need less sleep or just have more energy than the average person? (Lol! I'm mostly joking...but also...I am always so impressed!) Basically I want to be you when I grow up haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Well in a few years I'm sure you will be! You're in the thick of it right now - we took baby/toddler Landon on adventures to see family and called it a day. But as he got older, and as we had more kids to adventure with, planning travel became my hobby. Kind of an escape. I keep a notebook with pages for random destinations I've seen on a friends' facebook posts or in travel articles and write down little notes about them. I've had my Utah page for years, just adding little things I read ("you must hike The Narrows") or places we should check out ("find Spooky gulch"). Eventually I pick a month and year for the trip and start getting more specific and then we go! But it's just something I do in random bits of downtime. I try not to make it too complicated, and have kids and a husband who also love an adventure and make it all really easy and truly fun. But we didn't do ANY of this until Landon was at least 4 or 5? And nothing big until he was older than that. Our initial trips were 2 nights at a state park cabin with no planning at all. They were great, we escaped, the kids ran around, James and I got to sit on a deck with a glass of wine after they went to bed, and the total budget was like $400.

      I think I used to have more energy and need less sleep, but now I seem to have less of the former and need more of the latter (thus my average of 3 blog posts a month this year :P), but travel planning will always be my joy and escape. I have trips penciled in for the next 4 years of school breaks and I'm so glad I have readers willing to follow along!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the encouragement! I love the idea of keeping a notebook of travel ideas and details. (I am a big notebook person.) I'm sure that helps you savour it months in advance as well as in the moment!

      Delete
  4. You need an electric cooler! We use ours all the time for trips like this. Plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car, or a regular outlet so you can take it into your hotel at night. Greatly expands the road trip food options!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say thanks for such detailed Utah trip itineraries -- we've taken two trips to Utah this year (Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef; Zion and Cedar Breaks; saving Bryce and GSENM for the next trip!) and your posts were such valuable sources of ideas and information. It's a beautiful part of the world and we're so grateful to be able to explore it!

    ReplyDelete