Wednesday, August 25, 2021

UTAZ Day 8: Escalante - Lower Calf Creek Falls

The start of Day 8 was a lazy one.
We slept in. I woke up first, made my tea, and took my mug and my kindle out to the deck to read in the chilly morning air. It was still hazy from the wildfires, but still lovely to be anywhere outdoors in long sleeves and loose pants.
Eventually my family roused and we ate our yurt-provided breakfast of quiche and fresh fruit while the kids carefully divided the freshly baked muffins.
The kids played outside, James and I drove the 3 minutes into town to do laundry, we ate lunch at home. It was lovely and needed.
After lunch we packed up and headed out for our last hike in Escalante, Lower Calf Creek Falls. Described as a 6.4 mile out-and-back trail to a spring-fed waterfall and swimming hole, we thought that sounded perfect on a hot afternoon.
The difference in hiking through terrain near a water source was remarkable - trees, plants, reeds, greenery! Things we hadn’t yet seen! And still plenty of rocks and ledges for the kids to scramble over.
We made it the 3.2 miles to the waterfall in just over an hour and the kids tore off their clothes to run in. … and then immediately ran back out.
I could tell from the mist bouncing off the rock walls that it was FREEZING.
After much daring of one another James and the kids all got in.
I never even dipped a toe as cold water is no longer something that is welcome in my life.
Landon turned purple, James put on goggles and gave himself a swim practice, and the girls splashed and waded and repeatedly told me how cold it was.
When everyone was sufficiently frozen they got out, ate a snack, and we all started the 3.2 miles back to the car.
I made chili and had it simmering on the stove while the kids read in their loft and James and I sat on the deck. We roasted more marshmallows and went to bed one last time in our yurt.
Escalante was a great stop and we LOVED the slot canyons (and our yurt!), but we were off to the Grand Canyon in the morning with more adventures to come!

2 comments:

  1. I love your approach to traveling. I am glad that you allow time for relaxing and chilling for a bit. I feel like so many people forget to actually relax on vacation and when you're spending so much to stay somewhere, why not take advantage of it! How were the temps at night in the yurt? I personally have to be COLD to sleep! I don't know if I could sleep in a tent. (City girl for sure! haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was cold! I have to be cold too and we definitely got there- the yurt has AC, so we turned it down and kept the big fan on at the top to keep the air moving.

      And YES on the relaxing and chilling. We love hikes and lots of activity, but we also love a lazy block of time to read or nap or play. For as active of a vacation as it was, I truly came home rested and refreshed!

      Delete