Tuesday, August 24, 2021

UTAZ Day 7: Escalante - Peek-a-Boo & Spooky Gulches, Devil's Garden

On Day 7 I woke up in our bed to see Landon’s disembodied head peering down at me from his spot in the loft, so that was a special Yurt experience.
We’d all gotten nearly 10 hours of sleep and my legs were almost no longer mad at me after our killer days at Zion. The kids ran around the property, gobbling up the delicious breakfast burritos the owners left in our fridge and discovering a new secret swing behind some trees. The sky was super hazy and when we asked the owner about it she said it was from the Northern California wildfires and they had never seen such a heavy haze in their area before. It lasted for two days and made me glad for the Yurt mix-up that had us hiking in Zion with its soaring views during a time of clear skies. It's scary how far the smoke can travel.
I’d read a lot about the slot canyons, or gulches, of Escalante and decided that Peek-a-Boo and Spooky Gulches were calling to us. 26 miles down a *very* bumpy dirt road, unable to go more than 20 mph, and the family was mildly skeptical of my plans, but maintained their faith in my pre-trip google skills. We parked at the isolated trailhead (Lower Fork Wash Trail; NOT Upper, if you want to do the most efficient loop) and hiked about 2 miles through high desert and down smooth rock into a dried-out riverbed and canyon.
We never saw another person, but suddenly there it was, the entrance to Peek-a-Boo gulch, with just a small 12 foot boulder climb to begin.
We managed it, with help from James, who had to get himself up at the end, and then we were off, squeezing and exclaiming through the narrow canyon and fun arches and crawl spaces that filled it.
It was a BLAST and totally worth the likely damage to our car’s suspension from the access road.
Peek-a-Boo was probably my favorite, with its crazy wavy walls and tight (but not too tight!) slots.
I think the Gulch itself was only about a half mile, if that, but it was an adventure the whole way - over, under, and through.
Once we climbed out of Peek-a-Boo Gulch we hiked a mile over to Spooky- so named because of the EXTREMELY tight squeezes and dark spaces. But first we ate lunch right outside the entrance, fueling back up with our PBJs, chips, and the last of our apples from the Capitol Reef orchards.
Refreshed and refueled, we climbed down into Spooky Gulch and it was AWESOME.
You have to climb down into the slot and then you are pretty well stuck down there until you get to the end. It would not be great if your claustrophobic, but all three kids declared it their favorite hike so far.
James and I lost a few layers of skin in some of the twists and turns.
At one point you had to tunnel under a boulder and use a fixed rope to climb up the smooth side wall to continue.
Our packs made us too wide for most of the gulch so James and I hiked while holding them overhead or out in front.
There were a few REALLY tight spots and all in all it was just SO fun.
When we finally emerged back to full daylight we hiked the 2 miles back to the car, sweaty and covered in orange dirt, and almost wished we could do it again.
On the way home, back up the 26 miles of “Hole in the Rock Road,” we pulled off to play in Devil’s Garden, a super fun collection of hoodoos and rock formations our never-ever-tired kids were thrilled to scramble over.
And by "kids" I also mean James who needed to jump from one smooth tall thing to another multiple times.
Like father, like son.
And daughter.
Cora and I found a semi-shady spot and waited them out.
After a while we forced the kids back in the car, stopped in town for a few groceries in a very (VERY!) tiny market, and headed to our home sweet yurt.
We grilled out dinner (hot dogs and steak), made a fire and roasted marshmallows for s'mores, watched the stars, and slept like the dead until Cora's floating head woke up me up the next morning.
On the last day of our trip I asked each kid which hike was their favorite and all three said the Gulches (as did James). It was pretty incredible to get to walk and wind our way through those fissures in the earth.
Sometimes I look back at the pictures and just can't believe we got to experience such wonders, but we definitely soaked them up as best we could!

9 comments:

  1. I'm so enjoying reading about your amazing travels but, to quote a previous commenter, no no no no no no! That looks soooo terrifying, I think I'd hang out at the yurt eating breakfast all day. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh - and hanging out at the yurt would be a lovely way to spend the day!

      Delete
  2. I keep thinking with each of these posts that *every single* photo is a framer! You got such beautiful pictures along with your memories. I am so impressed with your mama nerves to handle those jumps and those tight spots! You do life so beautifully ๐Ÿ’—

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Misha - it was such an amazing trip, I've loved sharing it!

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine squeezing into tight places like that, I'd be very afraid I'd get stuck! Glad you all enjoyed it, though! :) I love the yurt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if every now and then a person gets themselves into a situation they (literally) can't get out of, but I haven't heard of anyone truly getting stuck! We definitely scrubbed some rock with our shirts though!

      Delete
  4. Sooooo tell me about prepping for snakes, spiders, all other manner of creepy crawlers I’m imaging are out there waiting to devour me? Did you see anything creepy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being high desert, there really weren't many bugs. And you have to stick to the paths to prevent destroying the delicate ecosystem around you and anything creepy crawly stays pretty far away from those. I don't think we saw a single bug or spider (other than at our hotel in Zion) the whole trip- just some lizards off path every now and then.

      Delete
  5. These pictures are spectacular.
    I bet you’ll be riding the good memories from this vacation for a LONG time!

    ReplyDelete