Thursday, June 18, 2020

Stitch Fixing Fun, Fix #11

Helloodle! I have a splitting headache and am hiding from life by watching The Great British Baking Show and blogging instead of making dinner. In our biggest news we got both our HVACs and all our duct work replaced yesterday! A huge project that's been needed since we bought the house, it's now done and I have units with warranties and efficiencies and duct work that isn't made out of giant metal rectangles. It's all very exciting, in that boring brown-up way. Also, we got our family pictures back and I need to post them. After initially having a negative gut reaction to seeing myself on film (ugh; why are we the meanest to ourselves sometimes? I'm working on it, but all I could see and think was puffy! shiny! also, puffy! when I first opened them and then Claire looked over my shoulder and said, "Mom! You look beautiful!" and I resolved to listen), I've come around to them (me) and will post next.


(And I do unreservedly LOVE many of them, including this one of the kids.)


My heart.

But first! I discovered last week that I had a credit on Stitch Fix (referral link), so I decided to order up a box. The last time I did this it was February and I really liked what they sent. In fact, I currently wear those shorts 4x/week and, as seems to happen with these boxes, I can't imagine what I'd be wearing if I didn't have them. It's so odd- I'm often disappointed in my Fixes overall, but then of my top ten favorite things I own, like 8 of them came from Stitch Fix. So clearly it works. My new Fix came today and we're going to blog our way through it:


Gilli - Delina Knit Maxi Skirt, Coral, Size Small, $38 ($28 with discount)


I don't know. I love a good maxi skirt. They feel like pajamas and can look so cute, but I always struggle with the top. Like if it's going to be easy breezy, then I want it to all be that way and I don't want to wear a bra or a fitted top. But loose tops make you lose all shape, so you end up with something fitted and then I feel like I might as well just be in shorts and a looser top. The tank works I guess, but I also feel like it highlights my tummy in a way I don't appreciate.


So I don't know. I really do love maxis and I don't have any maxi skirts right now - I gave away my old ones that were now a bit too small (sigh).


Do we like this? Or do we like maxi skirts, but maybe not this one? Undetermined; looking for input.

JohnPaulRichard - Raelinn Crochet Detail Top, White, Size Small, $44 ($33)


Cute, but probably a no for me. I always complain that I don't have any simple easy tops, but then when I get one I never think they look that good on me. I think it's my short torso, wider waist, small hips combo. I lose all shape in longer loose tops.


It's cute, but no.


Just Black - Nysa Skinny Jean, White, Size 4, $78 ($58)


Yes! I've needed white jeans and it always amazes me when a service can just send me some that fit perfectly after I've tried and failed so many times to buy some in person.


Wish they were a tiny bit longer, but that's the story of my life. Definitely keeping.

Kaileigh - Adalia Knit Jumpsuit, Navy, Size Small, $58 ($43)


This is crazy comfortable- and has pockets!- but I think not so flattering? I never do well with elastic waists (something that's clearly written in my profile). It's the waist/hips ratio issue again. But it is incredibly comfortable and I must admit I'm tempted by the promise of wearing pj's outside all day.


Probably send back.

Colette - Romey Cold Shoulder Knit Top, Olive, Size Small, $34 ($25)


It's so simple, but I love this shirt. It's shorter, which is good for my short torso, not at all see-through, and I can wear a regular bra. I also love the color and have lots of necklaces and earrings that would coordinate with it, including this one from my parents last Christmas.


Definitely keep.


So that was fun! I don't do Fixes often, but it really is a little pick-me-up to get a box of things delivered to you to try on. Thanks to the discount and some referral credits, I could keep everything for $110, but I just don't think I'd feel confident in the jumpsuit or that I'd reach for the white blouse over other things.


Photography assistant

So I think I might have new white jeans and a simple top I love (and maybe a skirt?) and really, that's pretty good! Especially since it's just a random person picking out clothes for you. I know you can do a pinterest board and really stalk other fixes to try to request certain items, but I take the completely hands off approach and enjoy the ease and surprise. I've looked for white jeans for 2 years and not found a pair I like nearly this much and I have a feeling I'll pull that olive top out all the time when I just need something casual but also a little cute and comfortable (regular bra ftw!). And so Stitch Fix continues to be successful enough for me to want to do one every now and then.

21 comments:

  1. I think the jumpsuit looks GREAT on you - keep it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That jumpsuit would look really amazing on you with a belt to pull the outfit together. Try it dressing up for date night with heels necklace, belt and I think you'll be va va voom.

      Delete
  2. The only thing I really liked this batch was the olive t shirt. Jumpsuit ok off you like jumpsuits. Meh on everything else. I mean, the clothes are fine, but honestly you usually look better — if “fine” really what you are going for? I think the maxi skirt needs a bit more volume to be flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the olive shirt is a definite winner. Also the white jeans (you can wear them together!). I have bought jumpsuits a couple of times but never really reach for them! Maybe a lifestyle thing? I like the lace details on the top and I never wear maxi skirts, but I think that's from being 5'9 and having all maxi things hit 3 inches above my ankle. Hope you feel less headachy soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried the white top with the skirt? I have no idea if they would look good together, but it might help you decide to keep our return those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’ve had that same green shirt for a year or so and it’s still a favorite! As to others, I’d keep jumpsuit over maxi- I think when you’re not used to them, jumpsuits feel weird. I got one and didn’t wear it for ages - but now it’s grown on me to the point of being the thing I grab when I’m feeling meh but want to look chic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also thought the white top would look good with the maxi skirt! I think it would look good with jeans too - easy to dress up or down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - it's the sort of top I could imagine you saying "I didn't think I would wear it much but I pull it on a lot, with shorts, to go for a sun safe walk around the block"

      Delete
  7. I have the opposite problem (a long torso), but the solution I found may actually work for you. Bodysuits! I'm obsessed. You never have to worry about that weird, to tuck or not to tuck issue and everything looks way smoother and put together. You may have to try some on to find a good fit (J. Crew had the best one but again, I have a long torse, so separate issue), but I wear one almost every day now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could you wear a boxy, cropped top with the maxi skirt? You could even do a tiny front-tuck to create a more defined waist. I have this top from Loft in all 3 colors and love it (i'm 5'10" with a regular-length torso and it's not too short on me) https://www.loft.com/cropped-v-neck-tee/534126?skuId=29302901&defaultColor=4899&prodId=534126&currency=usd&cid=LT_GGL_BRD_PLA%7C&ogmap=PLA%7CRTN%7CGOOG%7CSTND%7Cc%7CSITEWIDE%7CCORE%7CLT_GGL_BRD_PLA%7C%7C%7C8124280764%7C83333943334&gclid=CjwKCAjwxLH3BRApEiwAqX9arWpX6pFlT_i5twvzC6lCH-J7VihZ8e29PjecL2Nzle19-5gpUZT7xBoC1QcQAvD_BwE&selectedColor=4899

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I think the 1/3 up top 2/3 down below ratio is the key (or so my stylist said). If you wear the skirt over the singlet that would be better i think, Love to see more pictures!

      Delete
  9. Jump suit looks so cute on you! Definitely prefer that over the maxi skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not a maxi skirt person myself as I have the same problem - I had one black fitted tee that looked amazing with maxi skirts and then it just got too old and stained and gross to keep wearing and now I never wear the skirts. But anyway! I gasped when I saw the jumpsuit! It looks so great to me! Just slip on some flip flops and you're out the door...effortless chic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the top problem with skirts in general, but have a completely different frame. So many people have solved this problem but I just can’t seem to crack it.

    Love the jeans - recently had a similar stitch fix jeans experience and was pleasantly stunned (how do they always know?)

    And totally agree with anonymous on the belt with the jumpsuit and the va va voom :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Stitch Fix blogs! The white t-shirt from your last Stitch Fix box might pair well w/ the maxi skirt and sandals, but it is a lot of skirt to wear around in the summer heat, IMHO.
    I know it got a "no" from you, but the crocheted boho top is a great look on you and something different that looks like it would be cool and comfortable in the heat or to throw on over a bathing suit or wear with jeans, the jeans shorts, or the white jeans.

    Overall, I don't think you love the maxi skirt or the jump suit (tho as everyone says above, it is adorable on you and could be dressed up for a summer date or dressed down to go on errands) -- and if you don't love it now, you usually don't love it later. Sigh.
    Your faithful reader!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you keep everything--they look great on you! Have you tried the lacy, white blouse with a 'half tuck' or a 'french tuck'? Also maybe you could try layering a blazer or lightweight scarf/cardi with the jumpsuit? That could give you the structure and shape you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also, you keep saying "short torso"... many would say "long legs" :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the "keep the jumpsuite, ditch the maxi" voters above - the jumpsuit looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Err, excuse the typo...jumpsuit obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh...and beautiful family pics..that one of the kids is epic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the green t shirt! I think it would match well with the maxi skirt. the jumpsuit is kind of boring (sorry) : not fun enough to make up for the hassle when going to the bathroom ;-)

    ReplyDelete