Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Best of Both Worlds

So remember when I told you I'd been interviewed by Sarah (@ the SHU box) for her Best of Both Worlds podcast a few weeks ago? Today was publishing day. I woke up, realized the significance of the date, and immediately felt like I was going to throw up. A feeling that was relieved only by the email I found already waiting in my inbox from someone telling me how much they'd enjoyed the interview. Thank you M, your efforts to find my email address on my blog, type up such a nice message, and sent it out all by 7 a.m. meant I could find the courage to defeat the nausea and listen to my own recorded voice rambling in response to Sarah's questions.


(Here's the co-host Laura Vanderkam's blog post re: the podcast; she was traveling out of the country and wasn't on air with me, so got to be a listener this time instead.)

Verbal responses are hard y'all. I work with written words, lots and lots of typed out words I can read and edit and finesse until they match what's in my head. But I was relieved to hear I sound coherent. I sound generally like myself. Would I like to edit, you know, every single thing I said? Absolutely. But it's okay. My rambling run-on fears are unrealized. I very genuinely enjoyed getting to talk with Sarah and I think that comes through. I first met Sarah when she asked me about having a third baby, a question that resulted in my favorite and most heartfelt blog post I've ever written. It was an honor to be asked to be on the podcast and I hope you enjoy it!

But because this is a balancing of many worlds and humans, that was only a small part of the day. A day that began at 11:15 p.m. the night before when book #5 in Kresley Cole's Arcana Chronicles (which I ADORE far beyond what is reasonable or really even earned) downloaded onto my Kindle. Oh I'll just read the first few chapters, I told myself, knowing I was a lying liar who lied. At 2 a.m. James rolled over in bed, saw the light from my phone screen and sighed, "Really? Really." and then rolled back. "I'll stop soon," I lied again, knowing already my words were false, but he worries about me and my sleep and I like to make him feel better even though underneath he knows I'm lying too. At 3:08 a.m. I was done. I loved it. I have criticisms, many of them, but it doesn't matter. I love that series. I'm so sad I have to wait another year or so to get a new book again.


And then four hours later I was up and bracing myself for the impact of listening to my own recorded voice. Work was good. I was supposed to go to yoga at lunch but it was so cold and dreary outside and I was so tired, I thought I'd skip in lieu of obtaining emotional support french fries. Of course the one week I actually publish my little workout/dinner plan post-it system I flagrantly violate it immediately.

James called around 11 and asked if I wanted a Freebirds burrito. I used to have a Freebirds by my office but it closed and I miss it and I mentioned it to James the other day. So when he drove by today he thought he should bring me some. And with the burrito came a big bouquet of cheerful flowers.


I'm so glad I skipped yoga.

I left work at 4:45 to come home and pick up the kids to feed them an on-the-go dinner, another extreme rarity, but a promise met with much excitement among by the party pack when it was mentioned last night. We had our school's science night at our local museum of science and history from 6-8 p.m. (bedtime!), so a quick dinner on the way felt right. They chose Subway of all things, so sandwiches it was.

Science night was a huge hit. Free admission, many kids, lots of noise, LOTS of fun, and even a few attempts at academic enrichment.


We came across many friends and I even had fun as I logged two extra hours in my heeled boots and work clothes.



Cora LOVED the bed of nails and beamed her way through her every turn. As soon as she popped off, she'd run to get back in line to go again, glaring at any kid twice her size who dared to try to cut in front of her. It was amazing to watch from a distance.


The kids had a GREAT time and we stayed longer than I'd planned. James stopped at the store on the way home from lessons to get his heart-shaped pizza ingredients and a few extra things for the kids' Valentine's breakfast table, and we all got home about 8:15.


The kids got ready for bed, I readied a well-deserved margarita (or Mexican martini, if we want to be accurate), and James boiled some pasta because he's practical and didn't pick up takeout somewhere like I totally would have after all that coaching if my family had eaten earlier without me.


And now it's nearly 11 and I must go to bed on time to atone for my ridiculous behavior last night, especially since I know we'll be up early with the kids' Valentine's Day-fueled excitement. They love a dollar store decorated table and I must admit, I love it too.

28 comments:

  1. Random but I'm curious - what's your meyers briggs type? i think it is same as mine but OTOH reading only your blog I dont know if you are extroverted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never taken the Meyers Brigg test/quiz so I have no idea what my type is (or what anyone else's types mean; it's like a whole other language!), but I am very VERY much an extrovert. I can be alone, but I get nothing from it. People/crowds energize me, and they're the only thing that does.

      Delete
  2. I listened to the podcast this morning on my commute in to work - it was such a nice start to the day. I love how practical but utterly optimistic you came across in the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the podcast! Thank you for doing it. Your voice is empowering and inspiring, both in the blog and in the interview. It's amazing how much you manage to get done in a day and I get so many ideas for how to be a better mom/wife/friend/athlete(ish).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the podcast! I'd been rooting for you to be a guest since the beginning since finding you through Sarah's blog and it was helpful to hear more logistics details on how your family manages to fit in your priorities (that isn't always something that is discussed directly as you recount your Lag Liv adventures). It was fun to hear your bit of a southern accent, too, haha. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My accent was news to me too when I listened to the podcast! I swear I don't hear it day to day, but I don't think I'd ever heard my voice before- at least not ever more than a voicemail recording, and I was so surprised at this drawl I seemed to have! (And thanks!!)

      Delete
  5. Loved the interview (and was somehow surprised at your adorable southern accent - not sure why). I also felt much better about outsourcing our cleaning (the first thing my husband did the day I got a positive test with #2 was hire a biweekly cleaning service - that's why I love him). And grateful for the reminder to cherish all the stages but especially these early years. You are my mom/lawyer hero :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bec!! (And YESSSS on the outsourcing.)

      Delete
  6. It was so fun to hear you with Sarah! I loved that your blog "voice" is so authentic to how you sounded on the podcast. I'd listen to a regular podcast if you ever decided to pick it up :)
    I *tried* to not buy TheDark Calling, and instead show restraint by waiting for a library copy. I made it 3 hours into the day before clicking the "buy" button, then binge read when I got home, also losing precious sleep for which I'll suffer today. Loved it. But yes, SO many thoughts about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me laugh out loud. I didn't even pretend I would wait for the library copy (true for all Kresley Cole for me, and Ilona Andrews, Larissa Ione, and Karie Marie Moning). I'm really anxious to see how she's going to wrap up EVERYTHING in just one more book. I feel like we've been hovering in the middle for so long- everything is bad, no food, people are terrible, cards are lurking- FOREVER. I mean, I enjoy any sentence she gives me with those characters in that story, so I don't mind reading many chapters of status quo, but I can't imagine how there's only one story left.

      (And thanks re: the podcast! It was so stressful to me I can't imagine doing it regularly, but it was very fun and maybe one day Sarah will have me back :)).

      Delete
  7. I loved how it went!!!!!! I posted about you and insta'd and laura did too :) I'd love to have you back another time! (our first repeat guest?!). SHU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I would love that! It was such an honor to be asked - you've built an awesome following and group of listeners!

      Delete
  8. I loved the podcast- your perspective and ability to communicate how you've adjusted your life to the needs of your family came through. You were insightful, clear and interesting. I'm inspired to adjust my own work/family/personal life balance after hearing some of your strategies. It was also fun to hear the actual "voice" behind the words I have been reading for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole! I'm so glad you're still reading along!

      Delete
  9. You sounded great in the podcast!! Long time reader but I don't think I've commented - I so enjoyed listening! I also love learning about Fort Worth. It sounds so compact yet unique - this is coming from someone who's in Dallas for work some and I just don't love it - ha! Have a great end of your week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mFw! And if you're ever in Dallas for long you should definitely head over to the Fort! We have so many great restaurants and fun areas- it's nothing like what I imagined before we moved here (it's very much an Austin before Austin got crowded) and we love it!

      Delete
  10. Thanks so much for being on the podcast! It was a great episode, and we've gotten a lot of positive feedback on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura! I loved it and it was such an honor to be asked!

      Delete
  11. I was so excited to listen to you on the podcast! I too loved your southern accent. I started reading a few years ago and didn't know your backstory, which I really enjoyed hearing. Thank you so much for everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Racheal! So glad to hear you're reading and that you enjoyed the podcast! (And after 11 years of posts, there's definitely too much backstory to try to read now!)

      Delete
  12. Second (fifth) - great podcast! Love the accent also and you are so polished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Cecilia! I didn't feel polished, but I greatly appreciate you saying so!

      Delete
  13. I loved your interview! I've been reading your blog for a while now and love it. I was so glad you were on BoBW too!

    I'm actually local to you (Arlington) and have a couple of restaurants you've recommended on my list of places to try.

    I love the Red Rising trilogy and am waiting impatiently for my work (library) to get Iron Gold in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah! There are SO many fabulous Fort Worth restaurants (Yucatan, Rodeo Goat, Grace, HG Sply, Lili's, Blue Sushi, and more!) and you should definitely try all of them. And YES for Iron Gold. It is so good. It's possible you should just buy it. I've already read it twice :).

      Delete
  14. Loved the podcast - adding that one to my list of must listens. So, the thing I was most surprised by was your name! I didn't realize that I had never picked up that your name was Rebecca. It was just weirdly startling to me that you even had a name other than Lag Liv - haha. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! And lol on the name, I remember how startling it was to learn other bloggers names I'd read for years. I've become good friends with several and still think of them by their blogger names.

      Delete