Thursday, February 25, 2016

33!

I am 33 today. I'm a little bit uncomfortably full (the last cookie frosting sandwich was probably a mistake), but I mostly feel fabulous. And fuzzy. (Due to both a strong margarita and wearing a nearly impossible amount of fleece.) Top Chef is on. James is by my side. While reminiscing about my day, I'm feeling very glad I forced myself to go to barre last night at the last possible second- literally throwing on my clothes and running out the door in 30 seconds while James was getting the kids out of the shower. I had to text him my whereabouts as I left no trace behind.


The celebration actually began the night before when James surprised me with a new pillow. A humble gift, but I'd been complaining about my inadequate stack of terrible pillows forever and he very thoughtfully took himself to the mall department store to address the problem. Then he put the new pillow in my pillowcase last night so I could "wake up with it on my birthday." So thoughtful. Also delightful to have a pillow that supports your neck! I woke up feeling refreshed and way younger than 33.

The kids were SO excited, of course, and I was presented with many a card while I was trying to take my shower. I finally made it out to the living room to find more homemade cards and a wrapped box from James - another present he said I needed right then. A Yeti Tumbler to keep my tea hot! Again, so thoughtful. My new teamaker is the greatest thing ever, but actually brewing tea at the right temperature often means brewing it 30-40 degrees cooler than I used to, and my tea has often cooled by the time I get to work. NO LONGER! And just to prove it, I burned my tongue while taking a sip in my parking garage downtown.


At work I was surprised by a bottle of my very favorite champagne for a very thoughtful friend. The yeti + champagne seemed like a sign that I should drink crisp champagne all day, but sadly, the SEC does not have a champagne ice bucket in the kitchen. Since it also doesn't have water, utensils, or napkins, this wasn't all that surprising. Instead, I used the time I would be chilling champagne to pick out a vinyl monogram decal on etsy for my yeti. I think if you go yeti, you have to go FULL YETI. I've never monogrammed anything in my life (I also hate smocked kids clothes; I'm completely faking it as a southern woman), but personalized decals feel like part of the FULL YETI experience.


Lunch rolled around with some of my favorite people heading to one of my favorite places (The Bearded Lady; if you have not been, go immediately. When it's open. Tomorrow.) for the infamous Grilled Cheese of the Week. Today's offering was "Coq Au Vin- Red Wine Braised Pulled Chicken, Roasted Mushrooms, Carrots, & Onions Drizzled with a Red Wine Demiglaze w/ Gruyere & Mozzarella Cheese." It was every bit as amazing as it sounded. Possibly even more so because I stuffed a few of my fries inside for extra deliciousness.


Around 1:30, just when I could inhale and exhale fully again- two dozen piping hot Tiff's Treats cookies were delivered to the office! Mostly because I ordered them. Treat Yo Self!


At 5:30 (I did have to do some real work today, and all high on sugar, I feel like I was super efficient, but we'll see tomorrow when I re-read all the emails I sent out), I met James and the kids at my other favorite restaurant- Yucatan Taco Stand- for the best margarita in Fort Worth and the best nachos in All The Land. I made a fairly poor showing on the nachos, but sucked up every last drop of rita. Priorities.


At home I discovered more cards from the kiddos, including a beautiful clay flower hand made by Landon, and a double doozie cookie tower from James. And a Lululemon bag. It says something about me that I admired the cookie tower for several moments before even noticing the bag.


Cookies were consumed, birthday songs were sung, cards were opened, beautiful Lulu jackets were uncovered... so much love surrounded me and I felt very lucky to be 33 indeed.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! I am now confirmed in my desire to visit our Dallas office to sneak away and have grilled cheese in Ft Worth! I hope a jacket clad picture is coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It would be a tough call between a grilled cheese at Bearded Lady v. a burger at Rodeo Goat v. nachos at Yucatan, but you really can't go wrong with a meal in the Fort!

      (And while it's not a full picture, I'm wearing the jacket in the last pic- it's this one from Lulu and James was immensely proud of his selection because it has a neck thing to keep my neck warm even if the hood is down and these long wrist sleeves to keep my hands warm without gloves. It's like I'm always talking about being cold or something...

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sounds like a lovely day packed with awesome food. I really want nachos now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!! I just have to tell you that I absolutely adore how much you love food. It always makes me laugh because I'm the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The best way to my heart is through cookies. And nachos. And margaritas.

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday LL! Looks like a perfect day. I LOVE your shirt in the first two photos where you're holding Cora. Where did you get it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily! I love that shirt too! I got it at Loft in the fall and just adore the colors and pattern.

      Delete