Friday, November 15, 2013

Mora Cora

We're home! I've just returned from our first walk around the neighborhood (or more accurately, slow shuffle down our street and back), and my parents are continuing on a longer, faster walk with Miss Cora to take advantage of this gorgeous day.

I stayed in the hospital for 3 nights/4 days with Claire, so I was surprised to be offered a chance to go home yesterday, but once I got that switch in narcotics Tuesday afternoon I really was a whole new woman. I was comfortable (with regular doses of medicine), able to walk (albeit slowly), able to get up and down (again, slowly), and generally felt like myself. Cora was doing awesome- she is so unbelievably calm, alert, and sweet, and the thought of a night in my own bed with JP next to me sounded too good to pass up, though we asked for a late afternoon check out to make sure I was doing as well as I thought.


Snuggles yesterday morning

We had a good day- everyone passed all their tests, my incision looked great, and I got visits from some of my favorite co-workers. I continued to walk, eat, and snuggle my baby girl. In the afternoon, when it was clear we were heading out, we got Cora dressed in her going home outfit. I think she felt very snazzy.

 

Then, of course, she had some snuggles.

 

And then, also of course, we waited on hospital paperwork and discharge orders. That was fine, we held Cora some more and I took a series of ridiculous pictures of her yawning. (Sorry Cora, I love a yawning baby.)

 

Then we got all bundled up to go home! My mom left to get Claire at school and Cora and I ended up waiting a bit because JP was stuck at the pool. Then he was here! And we were rolling out.

 

We got home and there was Papa! Landon had been excitedly showing him the ins and outs of his new fort when we pulled up.

 

Both kids were SO excited to have Papa and Gigi AND Cora in the house. There was a lot of bouncing up and down with glee.

 

Both children needed to hold Cora immediately, so we headed to the couch. Tex came too and we had a family picture.

 

Our night went pretty well- Cora woke up more often in her little bassinet (she much prefers to be in someone's arms), but she's eating well (bottles and nursing, we're doing both) and is so sweet. Both kids were thrilled to find her in the house again when they woke up and she got lots of kisses before they went to school.

 

I had wondered before Cora arrived if everything would feel as new the third time around. I knew we'd be thrilled to have her, of course, but would all the steps- the hospital, the going home, the firsts of it all feel as special. And oh yes, yes the do. Because they're Cora's firsts, and that makes them new to us too. We love finding things that are similar to us and Landon and Claire, but there's so much that's unique to her and we love finding those things too. We love everything about her tiny self and we're all just so, so happy she is here.

 

11 comments:

  1. This is adorable and you really do make a beautiful family of 5 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy that you're doing a little nursing not because I don't think that Cora would be properly fed otherwise, but because I'm glad you got the experience of nursing. For some it's terrible, for others (including me) it's wonderful (eventually...), so I'm just happy you are getting that life experience! Congratulations on your bundle!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually nursed Claire for an entire 20 days, but then she had blood in her stool and we found out she was allergic to everything so she was switched to a hypoallergenic formula for her next 9 months. Luckily, she grew out of most of her allergies, but that was definitely the end of my nursing with her. Cora's tolerating it well so far and the blend of the two has been working out well, so we'll see how far we go!

      Delete
    2. That's awesome! Sorry, I didn't realize you had nursed Claire. If you made it 3 weeks, you made it through the worst (and pretty much ONLY the worst!!). So glad to hear it's going well so far with Cora. Although, obviously it is a fantastic thing to have medical science ready to help out feeding babies! Whatever works, it's a wonderful thing. Your family is beautiful and you look glowing. And Cora looks like an old hat at this whole being a baby business!!!

      Delete
  3. Who does Cora resemble...or too early to tell? Seems like Claire and Landon looked very much alike if I recall correctly. Love the Baby Papasan photo with her tiny self...so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just about to ask the same thing! Daddy's nose, maybe?

      Delete
    2. In 2 photos in the earlier post, Cora sorta resembles LL's dad, do you think?

      Delete
  4. Oh, you've had the baby! So happy for you all and Cora is such a pretty name. Haven't dropped by for a while so I'm glad I made it here shortly after the big event.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so alert-look at those wide open eyes! I hope your first weekend at home is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww congrats!!! And look at you wearing real clothes while you're in the hospital! :)

    ReplyDelete