Sunday, September 29, 2024

Time is Just a Construct

Somehow it's been 3 4+ weeks since we last spoke. It's almost like when I'm not on vacation and/or on strong enough pain meds that I can't do legal work, I never open my personal computer.

(Me, last weekend, not on my personal computer.)
A mere two days after my last post, I was back at work and off to the races with all the kid, work, travel, and school things. I felt great. Really once I actually logged off my computer for two days like I probably should have done in the first place, I recovered very quickly.

The hardest part was the two sad weeks where I was eating as little fat as possible. Turns out, everything has fat in it. And not even just delicious things- like ALL the things. I do appreciate how much I learned about food by googling "grams of fat in X" roughly one BILLION times in 14 days (oatmeal has 5 grams of fat; who knew?), and there was plenty to eat, but my meals weren't exactly something I counted down the minutes to.
On week 3 I slowly started adding light and healthy fats and now at the one month mark I've only had one mishap when I tried a piece of every Crumbl cookie last week because they were all perfect and amazing and oops. Six giant cookies covered in an inch of icing might have too much fat for my gallbladder-less self. But now, one month out from losing my that particular organ, I can eat pretty much what I want, including going to Chicago and eating a bag of Chicago mix, and feel just fine!
(Well, I mean I felt sick, as one does after eating Garrett's Chicago Mix, but there were no regrets. Biological or philosophical.)

Okay, memorable moments in September:

We celebrated our actual wedding anniversary on the 3rd. 19 years!
This picture was taken the day after the wedding, and the day before we drove to Chicago to start law school/married life! I was only 5 years older than Landon is now. [That... seems insane.]
When I got home from work on the 3rd I had flowers and fresh fruit waiting for me. James usually buys me a delicious cookie, which of course I couldn't eat, so he said he wanted me to have something that felt like a treat. He is the best.
While we already had our official celebratory dinner, we decided we still deserved a night out on the actual day, so after all our children were in the various places they were supposed to be we grabbed sushi at a neighborhood spot ("grams of fat in seaweed salad?" "grams of fat in tuna sashimi?").
"We're so lucky," we both said at different times during dinner. Not that there hasn't been work or periods of disconnect in our 23 years togther, but most of the work has been work on ourselves to be better partners- the relationship, the bond, the ease of it, the fire, the romance, the fact that I still want to jump him in the pantry when we're both getting something and the kids aren't looking- that's easy. He's my favorite and I'm his.

We're really so lucky.

I spent the next weekend in Austin for a recruiting event at the UT game. I hadn't been to a tailgate or UT game since I was a student at UT 20+ years ago and wasn't sure I was up for the crush of people and hundred million degree heat, but it turns out, when you have your tailgate indoors at a gorgeous conference center with a band, multiple bars, and buffet, and then walk to your firm's air conditioned suite with more food, drinks, and one of the best cookies I've ever had, it's pretty great!
I stayed in Austin two extra days to connect with some clients and friends. I've mentioned many times that I love being a parent to teenagers, and one of many reasons is they keep me up to date on all the important happenings at home when I'm away:
When I got back my parents stopped by for a night on their drive home to Houston from Colorado. It was my mom's birthday, so we had a table ready for her when they arrived.
They were out early the next morning (as were we), but it was so nice to see them!
And then my mom came back a few days later because my dad was out of town on a golf trip and we snuck in a day of shopping that was SO fun and I got a few beautiful things for fall and it was the best.
That weekend all of the kids had a friend over and at some point Landon said, "Mom, can Dylan and I eat outside?"
"Sure!" I replied.

A few minutes later I heard Claire yell, "Mom! Did you know Landon is on the roof?!"
I did not, no.

Last weekend, Landon went to Austin with a friend to watch the UT game (not from the V&E suite, but from seriously excellent front yard 40-yard line season tickets a friend's family has), James and Cora went to an elementary school father/kid campout, and Claire and I went homecoming dress shopping! [more on that later]
Claire was babysitting that night, so for the first time maybe ever, it was just me alone in my house for 4 hours on a Saturday night. I was so excited I couldn't even decide what to do. What would be worthy of this unique and incredible opportunity to do whatever I wanted in my own house?

I... deep cleaned the dishwasher.
It was satisfying, and I don't have any regrets, but I'm glad I course-corrected by ordering some Thai food through Door Dash and eating on my couch while watching TV with Milo
Almost caught up!

I spent Monday through Wednesday of this past week in Chicago for work, which was great. I moderated a panel on insider trading at a conference and then got to meet Top Chef fan-(and Rebecca!)-favorite Fabio Viviani at a consultant's dinner event! He made fresh pasta and was hilarious and wonderful and my love for him remains constant.
I got a quick walk in before my Wednesday morning flight and man, I will always and forever love this beautiful city on the water.
Yesterday, Landon and Claire had their first high school meets where they were both competing, though from different high schools!
We were a high school house divided.
They did great and my parents drove over to watch the meet and then go to the SMU v. FSU football game. (Both my parents' undergrad degrees are from FSU, as is my dad's MBA.) They got a ticket for Landon because their love for football skipped a generation and landed in him, and while the game was "terrible" (per them), they had great seats and a great time.
And now we're off on a walk along the lake, a stop by the Arboretum to see the pumpkins, and then making a big brunch at home. They'll head back to Houston and I'll dive into my work inbox. Happy Sunday (and September!) to everyone!

6 comments:

  1. The Sephora trip story made me laugh! What a great daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are recovering well.
    I didn't realize that Landon & Claire are at different HS. I obviously missed it if you mentioned it in the past. I was curious as to why, if you feel like sharing. We have a lot of specialty programs in our area and boundaries seem to change frequently too. Many kids don't go to their assigned base school. But even if boundaries change, having a sibling in a school is always an allowed exception. Our older 2 went to a specialty program for middle & high school but our 3rd kid went to our assigned middle to give him some distance/individuality from his siblings. It was a good choice. He ended up going to the specialty program for HS (only overlapped with his senior sister for the 1 year). It was a mutual choice by him and us, or so it seemed at the time. But in hindsight, I still wonder if it was the best choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that your family is doing well. I have been following along for a while. Your family is absolutely precious. I am a professor at SMU and I received my undergraduate degree from FSU. I was absolutely so torn between the two teams this weekend. MY family has season tickets. The boulevard and the game were fantastic! What a nice welcome to the ACC for SMU. Saturday was such a fun day! I hope that your parents had fun, regardless of the outcome. I hate that FSU did not do well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw you guys are so cute. My husband and I will be celebrating 18 years this fall! Love how you're all reverse matchy-matchy with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to hear that Fabio Viviani is nice in person! I met Chef Spike once at a farmer's market and he was nice too :)

    On Saturday night my son was camping and I was going to get so much organizing done, but instead I fell asleep while reading and ended up going to bed at 9:30.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! I love your wedding dress and that photo of you too the day after your wedding!! I am always like how is everyone so young! Glad you are recovered and back to life. I love reading all your posts.

    ReplyDelete