Saturday, March 16, 2024

"My job is actually just beach."

We spent the last six days on the beach in Mexico.
We LOVE a beach.
We also love a mountain, city, lake, and a pile of rocks, but this Spring Break, it was beach, and it was beautiful and relaxing and fun and just so, so easy.
On Thursday, James and Landon drove to their Sectionals swim meet, promising to meet us at the airport on time on Saturday straight from their meet. The kids have long packed their own suitcases, but this was the first time I'd be meeting 2/5 of the family at the airport before heading out for a 6 day international vacation. At least I knew they'd have their swim suits and goggles.
We took a direct 2.5 hour flight to Cancun, breezing through customs in about 2 minutes, and meeting our driver for our private transfer to the resort in Playa del Carmen. (Highly recommend Gabriel and his company! All the drivers were so professional and kind, using their limited English and our limited Spanish to communicate favorite sites and recommendations and patiently participating in both our attempts at the others' languages.)
(Travel ensemble for those who care about these things like I do: these Paige pants I bought with Bonnie 2 years ago and almost didn't because they were pricey for such a boring staple and yet still wear constantly and always remind me of why I have a Bonnie, new breezy Loft blouse, my beloved perfect jean jacket I can layer on anything, including a bikini top, and the Target version of this trendy sandal style I think is both so ugly it's almost cute and also super comfortable.)

We were last in Playa in 2016 when we came here with a toddler Cora and two baby-faced bigger kids. That was also the last time we stayed at a big resort, and while we normally much prefer more private and personal vacations, after some very logistics-heavy trips (like Italy last summer) and with some big adventure trips coming up (like our WY/MT/ID National Parks trip this summer and Egypt(!) this Christmas), a relatively inexpensive, all-inclusive, plan nothing, show up and do nothing getaway sounded just right.
With Landon about to wrap up his sophomore year, and our family so busy and scattered what feels like much of the time (and the fact that we all just really like to travel), I'm not willing to let a school break go by without a plan to go somewhere and do something. I've always loved traveling with the kids, but as they get older, that pure, uninterrupted family time becomes even more precious.
I found a link through tripadvisor to a person who rents out vacation club stays at resorts, so we could get something like our master 1 bedroom suite at Sandos Playacar and the "royal elite" benefits without the membership or buy-in.
The room was bare bones and didn't have a view, but the layout was perfect (2 full bathrooms, 1 room with a king bed and twin sized couch bed, and a living room with two twin sized couch beds) and the internet was strong enough for all your lawyerly telework needs. The resort was large and lush, the food was meh (the kids loved it), the pools were many, and the beach was absolutely spectacular.
It was big enough and long enough that we didn't have to get up early to reserve chairs or anything, we just meandered over and back whenever we felt like it. And we felt like it a lot. There were activities and a kids' club, teens club, parties and shows and we did none of that. We are not joiners on vacation. We just want each other.
And access to water.
We tried a couple restaurants before realizing they weren't any better than the always-available buffet that was much quicker and had more options.
Plus we often saw monkeys in the trees outside the windows.
Landon of the 16-year-old bottomless pit stomach was particularly taken with the buffet. Actual quote: "Mom, I realized that if I hold the hamburger with my left hand, I can alternate scooping up corn and jello with my right."
Also:

"Mom, I've had 23 donuts so far. Wait, no, 27."

"Low key I could live here."

"Look, I'm a humpback whale!"
On Day 3, we took a taxi over to the Sandos Caracol sister resort. It was beautiful and the water park was bigger. It also had cenotes on site and a river, but unfortunately we happened to show up on the one day a week the cenote is closed for cleaning and restoration. We still jumped in the river.
We did see a lot of animals and were glad we explored a new space.
But once we got back "home," we were back on our beach, splashing and laughing, and I was sitting in the shade soaking up the sounds of the waves and my children, playing together without any distraction and it was everything I love about taking them places so much.
From driving to a state park in Arkansas when Landon was 5, Claire was 2, and Cora wasn't even imagined yet, to our bigger trips as our travelers and our budget grew, I am so thankful for every adventure.
On our drive from the airport to the resort on Day 1 we asked our driver for his favorite things in the area. He mentioned the Casa de Tortugas cenotes, so I emailed Gabriel to see if he did tours as well as airport transfers and he set up a day for us to go see the Mayan ruins in Tulum and stop at the cenotes. It was so great!
For an extra $20 at the entrance to the ruins we got an English-speaking guide which gave us such a greater appreciation for the ruins and history of the area. I'm sure the kids were having flashbacks to Italy ("Oh my god dad can touch old things and tell us to think about them again." - Landon groaned as we entered the ruins), but they asked a lot of questions and you can't touch any of the ruins anyway.

We were getting hungry so we asked our driver if he had a favorite local lunch place and he took us La Chiapaneca in Tulum and it was SO GOOD. We started out with a round of tacos and empanadas and I added a sope and next thing we knew we were ordering twelve more sopes. The pork ones in particular were incredible. It's four days later at 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning and I'm still thinking about them.
Full and happy we continued on to the kids most highly anticipated part of the day - cenotes!
Fresh water, spring-fed pools, there are four at Casa Tortuga and we got to swim through two caverns, jump off cliffs and ledges, and enjoy gorgeous fresh water.
Landon, Claire, and James did lots of jumping and the boys even did a few flips.
I jumped off one just to remind them I could. My jump style is "pencil" and it is the only one I have.
Cora took a little while to warm up to the idea but made a big leap towards the end and then followed it up with several more.
It was a perfect last day, capped off with some time back at our beach.
Cora remains our beach baby. Every afternoon, she was out at least an hour longer than her siblings, happily playing in sand and waves. Completely alone, completely at peace. This girl and the ocean are one for me.
One one night after dinner, we went back out to the beach and the kids found a ball and next thing I knew they were playing soccer as the sun set, and again, it's just one of those memories that makes me smile when I think of it. Their voices, playing, laughing, and getting sandy and sweaty in their clothes... I know I keep saying it, but the sand falling in the hourglass is never far from my mind. Landon is getting college letters. Their worlds are broadening and while I have zero doubts that all our next chapters will be wonderful, this chapter where they are only ours is so precious.
Our travel home began at 4:30 a.m. Thursday morning. I used up my American Airlines miles on the flight there, which got us a direct to Cancun, but had to move to my Southwest miles for the flight home, so we had a stop in Houston on the way back. It worked out great though, customs was really fast (it was Houston Hobby and we were the only international flight landing at the time), we grabbed lunch, and then hopped on the short flight to Dallas.
We walked in the front door at 3 p.m., and by 4:30 p.m. we had clothes unpacked, groceries bought, wash washing, and cuddled cats purring. We were all in bed by 9 p.m. and 12 hours later, I'd been working at my computer for a couple hours (the post-vacation email inbox reentry is REAL) and all the human children were still sleeping. James went up to check on them and said no one even flinched when lights were turned on, so he confirmed their breathing and left them in the care of the cats. They beach HARD.

And that was our trip. Fun, easy, and full of mojitos, pan dulce, sopes, and swimming.
Now we have a weekend at home to get ready for the last few months of school (how), the fast approach of summer (so hot I'm already mad at it), and a lot of work. Thankful for the getaway, and laughing because Landon just yelled down from upstairs that he still has sand in his hair. Happy mid-March to all! I'm using my time watching the Taylor Swift concert on Disney+ this morning to draft a few more non-vacation posts, so there are more coming!

14 comments:

  1. So fun! I love this! I'm graduating law school and going into biglaw this year, so your blog is such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats!!! Wishing you all the best (and remember, the first few years of BigLaw are basically residency for lawyers but better paid; parts of it suck but you learn a lot!).

      Delete
  2. Looks so fun! My in-laws are in Mexico (husband is Mexican) and we go there often… I am gunning for meeting up with my in-laws in Cancun or somewhere on our next trip instead of going to Central Mexico (Toluca/Mexico City area) where they live. It’s hard though because my husband has a huge family and we always have to make time to see a million aunts, uncles, cousins, etc when we go- which is harder if we just met his parents at the beach!

    Also- I’m so envious of your Egypt trip!! I spent HOURS (literally hours upon hours) last summer/fall planning a 2 week Egypt trip for our family to Cairo, Abu Simbel, Aswan and Luxor for early June 2024. Had everything all booked and mostly planned and researched and then the war in Israel broke out. Since it’s so close, and we weren’t yet sure what direction the war was going to go in, we decided to cancel our Egypt trip. It just seemed potentially risky. It was kind of a thing where we really didn’t want to wait and see what would happen with the war - if Egypt was off the table then I wanted to get going planning something else for that time before it was too late . Ended up deciding on Oahu + Kauai those weeks instead in June, but part of me is still a bit heartbroken over that lost Egypt trip. I think it was going to be absolutely epic. Maybe once things settle down over there (will they ever?!) we can try for a do-over. :) Which areas of Egypt will you be visiting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. We spent a few hours in Mexico City once (on a layover on the way back from Costa Rica) and I'd love to go back and spend some time there, but the Rivera Maya really is just gorgeous. I forget how beautiful, I think because it feels so close. You should definitely push for a beach meet up. There are so many resorts of course, but also a ton of great rental homes on/near the beach that are super reasonable and could fit a family + grandparents!

      Yes, I am SO excited about Egypt. A friend went 2 years ago and I've basically been planning it since then. We are going to Cairo, then doing a Nile river cruise from Luxor to Aswan, and then a few days in Sharm El Sheikh. I did purchase full trip insurance for the first time ever given the war, so we'll just keep an eye on travel advisories and other things. So far everything I've read has kept the trip on a green light. I'm hopeful we can go; tourism is a big part of the economy and they have wonders I can't even believe we're going to get to see up close!

      Also, we've never been to Hawaii (well I've been, in high school, but not since then and James and the kids have never) and I am dying to plan a trip there. Beautiful beaches and jungle and volcanoes and more? Sounds VERY up our alley. It's just so far and pricey that every time I start to plan a trip, I'm reminded that a giant oceanfront home in Costa Rica is hours closer and thousands cheaper. But I do want to go. Maybe next year?

      Delete
  3. I enjoy your vacation posts so much. Thank you for all of the work you’ve put into them over the years!!

    A question: looking back on 2+5/3+6, are there any trips you didn’t do at this age that you think would have loved? Trying to brainstorm for next year. I’m also firmly one and done with Disney and can’t decide what age is best for that because most people I see go with younger kids seem to want to go several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh good question. A couple random thoughts:
      - We honestly picked trips that James and I wanted to go on and we just brought the kids along. Neither of us like kid entertainment and we flatly hate group activities, so I'm certainly there are a lot of more kid-focused trips that would be very fun at those ages that we would never have considered.
      - San Diego/Southern California: I think we waited too long to go to Legoland. Landon was our Lego nut and while he still loved it (I think he was like 11?) he would have LOVED IT from 5+. We also really enjoyed it (beautiful park, surprisingly great food, cool Lego sculptures everywhere) so that could have been done sooner or even more than once. Plus there's a ton of other things in San Diego that we enjoyed. That was a great trip.
      - While we will never be big resort people, the one time we went to Playa when the kids were younger really was fun. We had a swim out room so Cora could nap while the big kids still played, there was a kids club that started young (we didn't use it, but we could have!), and the beach was great.
      - I LOVED the timing that we did Disney (10, 7, 4). Everyone was post-diapers, post-nap, but Cora was young enough to 100% feel the magic (those princesses were her BEST FRIENDS) and that was a big part of the fun for the rest of us, but the big kids were old enough to do all the rides so I feel like we got to do *everything* and really love soak it all up. I don't plan to ever go again (I occasionally consider it because Cora doesn't remember it and they're well done parks, but there are other parks we could do in the world), but I absolutely loved every minute of that trip and it has some of my brightest magical memories.

      I'll come back if I think of more!

      Delete
  4. I would love to hear more about your Egypt trip and itinerary, as this is on my bucket list. Did you work with a travel advisor for that one, and if so, are you comfortable sharing their contact information? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading about your Italy trip, I reached out to Kaleigh to help plan our upcoming spring break trip to Europe and can confirm that she and her team are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That makes me so happy! Where did you go?

      Delete
    2. We leave next week for Scotland and Paris!

      Delete
  6. What site did you rent your royal elite membership through? I love that this is an option!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do much the same thing through Palace resort diamond or residence members. You can find them through trip advisor reviews/boards. Or most recently, I’ve been finding them through FB groups for members/“friends” of members. All the perks, no buy in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to know this website for the hotel rental as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. *Thank you* for linking to those Paige pants. I’ve been looking for a pair exactly like them for months and, bonus, I had a negative balance on my Nordstrom card so they feel basically free!

    ReplyDelete