Sunday, January 30, 2022

Food. All of Life is Planning for, Shopping for, and Making Food

Once again it comes down to food. Because no matter what else is going on in our lives, there are 5 people in this house and we all have to eat.
And there are days where family dinners are the only time we are all sitting face to face and interacting with one another. In the mornings we're all generally around, but it's more of a train station with people gathering various items to go to various places. In the afternoons, Cora gets some time with me since she visits my home office after she gets out of school at 3, but the big kids get out at 4:30 and basically go straight to swimming or soccer or theater rehearsal or whatever their interests demand that day.
But at 7:32, exactly 2 minutes after Coach James and whichever kids are swimming that day walk in the door from practice, we all sit down to a family dinner for the next 30 minutes. No distractions, no devices, no TV (never ever; I feel passionately about this)- just food and conversation, and our continued attempts to teach our children table manners ("Landon, it's 'bring the food to you, not bring your face to the food!!' [zomg/sigh]").
It is sacred and meal planning makes it easy- I make the recipe and shopping list on Saturday, James does the shopping on Sunday, and I cook the things during the week. If I know what's coming, I don't have to think about it and I'm not tempted to call James and say "let's just go out."
And so, even though a million other things are happening, here is the only thing I've managed to blog: our menu from last week, this week, and the one for the week after that.

Mon, Jan. 24: French Dip Sandwiches (crockpot; AMAZING), oven baked fries, Brussels & Kale Caesar Salad (this salad blew me away last week- the dressing is incredible and the croutons cannot be described with words; I want to make it every day forever).
Tues, Jan. 25: Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup (this was GREAT and so easy, it was immediately requested again).
Wed, Jan. 26: Pasties! I made a double batch last time just to give me a break one random midweek night.
Thurs, Jan. 27: Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup (forever favorite; James would eat this every day)
Fri, Jan. 28: Italian Style Turkey Penne Toss (we didn't get to have this last week and James has a meet on Saturday, so pasta is always welcome).
Sat, Jan. 29: James will be at his meet and Landon will be at a friend's, so the girls and I are having takeout Thai on the couch with a dance movie of some sort.
Sun, Jan. 30: Millionaire Gnocchi (I've been wanting to make this since Lindsey posted it), probably more Kale Caesar Salad with the magical dressing.

Mon, Jan. 31: Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits (something cozy to close out January and kick off the week ahead).
Tues, Feb. 1: Greek Pasta Salad, Naan, Tzatziki.
Wed, Feb. 2: Doritos Taco Salad.
Thurs, Feb. 3: Baked Spaghetti, garlic bread, salad.
Fri, Feb. 4: Pizza - homemade or ordered will depend on the week.
Sat, Feb. 5: Out for a fancy dinner after HAMILTON! The kids' Christmas present from us this year, we have amazing seats and know every word to every song and we are SO EXCITED.
Sun, Feb. 6: Thai Crunch Salad with Peanut Dressing

Mon, Feb. 7: Tuscan Chicken in Parmesan Cream Sauce, mashed potatoes, side salad.
Tues, Feb. 8: Tuna Melts, chips, fruit.
Wed, Feb. 9: Roasted Tomato Puttanesca, salad.
Thurs, Feb. 10: Ground Beef Tacos, mexican rice, black beans, toppings.
Fri, Feb. 11: Claire has her final Cotillion dance, which means a night of general social whirlwinding and eating whatever whenever it makes sense (which probably involves pizza).
Sat, Feb. 12: Hashbrown Potato Cheese Soup
Sun, Feb. 13: Salmon, roasted potatoes, roasted carrots.

Beyond the constant cycle of planning meals, shopping for meals, cooking the meals, and cleaning the meals (this life phase of kids doing the dishes, emptying the dishwasher, and wiping the table is my favorite life phase), life is quite wonderful.
I did a boudior photo shoot and it's the best most empowering thing I've ever done in my whole life and I cannot recommend it more. My friend Emily King did my session and if you're in DFW I HIGHLY recommend her. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. (Another friend did my makeup; ensemble obviously not pictured.)
Maggie celebrated her 3rd adoptiversary with a puppacino and extra long naps.
I continue to use the outfits Bonnie made for me anytime I have to leave the house and I'm flummoxed by an ensemble that doesn't involve pj pants.
We're redecorating our TV room to become my study because I've bene working in a corner of our bedroom for nearly 2 years and can no longer pretend this is a temporary arrangement. It's a work in progress, but after I spent a day emptying out all our old bookcases, James and I went out for a fancy dinner and it was delicious and wonderful.
And finally, a few weeks ago was the one year anniversary of my Grandma Jo's death. I wore the ring I inherited from her every day that week, even when I was just at home typing in my bedroom, and thought of her so often.
And while I was sad, everytime the sparkles of her birthstone caught my eye, it made me smile and remember to buy the good stuff and wear it often, use the good china, speak your mind, and never question the need for another accessory. May we all leave such a legacy behind.

Happy almost-February to you all.

15 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder to use the precious things we're "saving."

    And the headline of this post is SO completely relatable. Food. Life revolves around it. (I suppose that was true, in a more dire way, of our ancestors, and that I should be glad all I have to do is check out a bunch of blog posts for ideas and go to a single grocery store where everything I need is available in abundance rather than having to hunt and gather my meals.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I declared I was about to killed via meal planning and found a local personal chef who is now doing meals for us two nights week. I used to love cooking until I took on my new job and WHEW I do not have time for that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! I'm all about whatever makes life easier and brings people together at the table. Being at the government is the only reason I could make dinner for this past decade and whenever I'm not, I'll be googling chefs too!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! I realize I am currently in the thick of it.. ahem 17 month old + newborn, but when what age were the kids when you feel you guys got into a rhythm with family dinner? This is something I always envisioned for us as a family but not sure what is realistic! Give me hope please LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We started when Landon was about 1? When we moved to Austin. It wasn't fancy, but we did sit together and eat at the same time when we got home from work/daycare. Then when Claire was born it was easier to slide her into the routine with her bottles or finger foods or whatever. By Cora, it was set in stone and she just had to go with it. I think it was easier to get going when Landon was little because we all got home from work/daycare right at 6/dinner time so we'd throw something together and eat it together because we were all hungry! Then it just kind of stuck.

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful ring and reminder. I have a ring that belonged to my maternal grandmother and I used to wear it daily but I've gotten out of the habit.

    I admire your meal plans so much. I've always been awful at meal planning and follow through. I've spent way too much time feeling guilty and frustrated so I finally caved and signed up for a meal service plan. We're on week 3 and it's been great. I'm only cooking for me and my husband usually now so the smaller portions are perfect (we're not good with leftovers). I'm getting to do some prep and the actual cooking- which is the part I enjoy. I'm enjoying my kitchen again. Which is inspiring me to cook more on the nights we don't use the planned meals. It's a good balance for where we are at the moment. And cutting down on our takeout bills! Just decided to add this in case anyone has been on the fence about trying a meal service. Although Grace's personal chef idea sounds amazing as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! If we didn't require recipes for 10-12 to feed our family of 5 I would be all in one the meal service. The rest of my family uses them though and I can see doing that here once the kids are grown. Anything to save steps!

      Delete
  5. I love that chicken pot pie recipe. My kids enjoy it, too, but I have to make the biscuits separately because the one time I cooked them on top one of my kids said, “you ruined biscuits” because he didn’t like the soggy bottom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you wrote this comment on Tuesday because I ended up making this last night and was already skeptical about potentially screwing up delicious biscuits so I cooked them on the side too. It was great!!

      Delete
    2. I just realized you commented.. I’m glad you enjoyed it. To be fair to the recipe, I enjoyed it with the biscuits cooked on top, but my kids less so. It’s equally as delicious with the biscuits cooked on the side. I’ve also used both refrigerator biscuits and the homemade ones depending on time.

      Delete
  6. I’m nervous about the deletion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your concern and I'm glad you gave me an opportunity to say it's all totally fine! All things proceeding as planned! I just learned my next job has a whole rollout planned to announce me and while I didn't name them specifically in my post, I didn't want to spoil whatever they have in the works. I look forward to writing more in two weeks <3.

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear it. Congrats again!

      Delete
    3. I was wondering too! That makes total sense why you pulled it!

      Delete
  7. I'm a long time lurker and never commenter but had to say- I actually did a boudoir shoot last year for my wife and also found it super empowering! It turned out to be even more special since I just started a 12 month mission with Doctors Without Borders in South Sudan and we won't be able to see each other. At least she will have that to remember me by until I'm home!

    ReplyDelete