Sunday, August 22, 2021

Real Life is also Happening

Taking a brief pause from vacation recapping (which I have enjoyed so much, thank you for following along! The kids and James's very favorite day is yet to come) to reintroduce the real life that is happening between my reminisces. Because as it always does when we come back from our August vacations, real life yanked us right back in.

The kids started school on Monday.
Our Superintendent's mask mandate got overturned by a local judge the day before school started when a group of parents who REALLY want their children to have the opportunity to catch Covid sued to block it. My kids are in masks anyway, particularly my not-yet-old-enough-to-be-vaccinated girl children, but they're in the minority. So in this time of a more contagious variant that is affecting more children, we have no protocols, no spacing, no masks, and no virtual school option. So, with that intro, it's back to school pictures! Everything is FINE.
Cora is in 2nd grade and confidently marched her way into school all by herself. I can't believe we only have one elementary schooler left- it's so weird to run her off to school at 7:30 and come back to find two big kids just getting out of bed.
I thought the return might be a little rough because she has to get up so early, but she was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed each morning and was delighted by the return of homework and worksheets.
Claire started 6th grade - MIDDLE SCHOOL - and was a tiny bit nervous and lot bit excited. She required one extra hug when she got out of the car, but crossed the street and walked into school with a smile.
At the end of the day she BURST into the house, already telling me all about her day and how middle school is the BEST and all her classes are GREAT and she made two new friends and etc etc etc. She is in Theater and Choir and loves them both.
Landon is now in 8th grade, his last year before high school, which honestly blows my mind a little. He hopped out of the car early to walk the rest of the way to school with a friend, had a great day, and generally feels like he has middle school handled.
James doesn't start the swim school again until this Monday, so he was available to help pick up the kids each day. I have no idea what we're going to do next week when he's gone (finally!) at his indoor pool from 2-7 each day. I'm not excited about adding an after-school nanny, but I also don't know how I can get the kids from 3 schools every day or get them to swimming, soccer, and volleyball and continue working full time from home in my very busy job. This will all start tomorrow and I'm still just ignoring the problem completely because I don't know how to do a regular school year in an irregular world except to keep everyone in masks, generally only be near people outside, and get the girls vaccinated as soon as possible. And find a nanny. I guess.
Speaking of not leaving the house, we've really been enjoying the weekly Disney Plus shows. The kids have never had a show they had to wait 7 days between episodes and the anticipation adds a whole other level of anticipation and excitement. We loved Mighty Ducks and Big Shot and are now working through Turner & Hooch and The Mysterious Benedict Society. It makes for a great Friday or Saturday night tradition. Milo also watches. Or watches the snacks anyway.
Except this past Friday we had a mini pool party to let the kids wind out their week with splashing and pizza. My friend Kim brought over her goats and Maggie was THRILLED to be reunited with her goat pack.
She really does love them and they stuck very close together when she was outside.
In our biggest event of the last week (besides starting school and all), I took the kids to see Wicked yesterday!! After waiting months since I bought the tickets (and really, YEARS, since it became clear James was only pretending to like musicals while we were dating), I finally got to take the kids to see a broadway play and they LOVED IT.
It was so phenomenally well done and a perfect first show for the kids. I'd seen it many times (it was resident in Chicago while we lived there and I took everyone who visited me), but it had been 10 years since I saw it last and I'd forgotten just how fun it is. You could tell the audience was so excited to be there and the performers were as good or better than the original cast (LOVED this tour's Elphaba and Glinda).
We've been listening to the soundtrack non-stop since we left the theater.
I look forward to so many more Musicals with Mom in our future. James takes them to swim meets, I take them to plays. I actually just treated myself to Season Tickets for the Broadway Series at Bass Concert Hall this year with a friend and I can't wait to start adding seats to my block to bring the kids in future years. Watching musicals and singing to the sandtracks was a huge part of my childhood and I'm thrilled to pass it on.
Also thrilling - these post-its I found at Target when picking up some last minute school supplies for the kids. Rainbow colored list making? The perfect post-it for meny planning? I cannot even tell you how much they made my Monday.
Meanwhile, the cats would like to know why I'm 15 minutes late for their dinner reservation. New post-its are no excuse.
Maggie went to the vet for a checkup on Tuesday and was proclaimed in perfect health. This might be the only time we've gone to the vet and NOT left with a new prescription and we were both very excited. The vet is one of her very favorite places and she kept trotting off back to the exam room while I was trying to check out. She remains just the very best.
On food, I've updated our menu for this week below, but have to note from last week that this Tomato Soup was FANTASTIC. Best one I've ever made. Creamy without cream and so much flavor. Highly recommend, I followed the directions precisely and was duly rewarded.
I hope you all have a great week ahead- with something to be excited about and something fluffy to snuggle with when you're tired.
Tomorrow it's back to hiking recaps while very much wishing we were still there!

Menu
Sun: Rainbow Chicken Salad
Mon: Summer Chicken Soup (green beans instead of zucchini)
Tues: Bean and Beef Taquitos, Brown Rice, Avocado, Tomato
Wed: Take-Out Pizza Fundraiser Night for School
Thurs: Greek Pasta Salad with Chicken, Naan, Tzatziki Sauce
Fri: Meaty Spaghetti (ground beef + jar pasta + whole wheat pasta - easy as it gets at the end of the week)
Sat: Caprese Gnocchi (gnocchi, pesto, small mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes)
Sun: Tuna Melts

3 comments:

  1. Landon and Claire don’t go to the same middle school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6th grade has its own campus down the street. The middle school outgrew itself many years ago so now the 6th graders get a year together before going to the “big school.”

      Delete
  2. We saw the touring production of Wicked in Baltimore in late February 2020 right before the world shut down. Such an incredible production and that touring company is top notch! Here's to Musicals with Mom. I have three boys and only one enjoys musicals. But we've seen Into the Woods, Matilda, My Fair Lady, Wicked, and Peter Pan together. I had tickets in the last year to Hamilton and To Kill a Mockingbird. I'm anxiously waiting on when I can repurchase and am looking at what else is coming to town. I miss live theater.

    ReplyDelete