Saturday, July 13, 2019

Sinuses, Bulldog Sleepaway Camp, and Swimming

Good morning! We've been back in the hot and humid land of Texas for 5 days and I've been sick for 3 of them. Apparently I'm allergic to Texas summer weather and my body needs to me to return to a mile+ above sea level immediately. But since little things like jobs, a home, and a full busy life appear to be keeping me here for the time being, a steroid shot, 150 gallons of hot tea, and daily Claritin D and Flonase are making it almost bearable.

Something surprisingly more than bearable? (It's important to have smooth transitions in writing.) My new head shot for my barre studio's website redesign! The pictures were a while ago and I remember the weekend being its usual hectic self. I dry my hair like twice a month, so this was a big lift for me on a Saturday, and I find solo pictures so horribly awkward. My smile is always strained and fake and my already too-small eyes get even tinier and I don't think my mouth forms smiles properly and I'm so self-conscious I end up viewing the final product through webbed fingers. But on that Saturday- a rainy Saturday, which did not bode well for my quickly straightened hair, the photographer just sat with me on the studio floor by the window. A class was actually going on in the main area so we whispered quietly to each other in the corner. She asked about my kids. I told her some stories about them that make me smile. She snapped a picture.


And I love it. I feel like I can see the stories I was telling and the warmth and happiness I was feeling when she took it and that is such a gift.

Semi-related to barre teaching head shots, yoga teacher training continues apace, with no rest for the throat-swollen and sinus-infected. I took 7 yoga classes and had 9 hours of training in the last 5 days and I can't believe how much I continue to feel grateful for every second. I am learning SO much and my knowledge-soaked brain is luxuriating in this new tired, over-taxed, totally FULL feeling.


I've been practicing with the kids, doing my yoga homework essays on long car rides, and have started taking myself through the hour-long sequence each morning. I've never had a sequence memorized before and it is such a peaceful and zen-like way to start a day.


This was my teacher trainee dinner between my double yoga classes and 7-10 p.m. training session on Wednesday. I came home that night at 10:30 p.m., all sweaty and drained and exhausted, to write in my journal, make James stay up to talk to me, and then take a bath with my salts and candles and latest paranormal romance and force myself to bed to do it all again.


Just five weeks left to go and though this schedule is obviously not sustainable, I already know I'm going to miss the intensity- the doing something new and exciting and frankly a little selfish. I feel my body building new muscles and my brain firing new synapses and after 11 years out of school it is everything I hoped it would be to be a student again. It's like a yoga immersion program and it's stretching every part of me in the best way.


But it's also so nice to have a morning at home. Right now it's 9 a.m. on Saturday and I just finished my morning yoga practice. James is at a swim meet (we're meeting him there at noon for the girls' session), Claire is emptying the dishwasher, Landon is scooping dog poop, and Cora is feeding Maggie. After a small but short battle over instituting regular summer chores a few weeks ago (the phrase "well what's left for you to do?" was uttered and NOT well received [insert actual brain exploding emoji]), things are humming along nicely. We have a list on the fridge, so everyone knows what is expected of them and does their part (and can be mentally soothed by seeing their siblings' duties as well), and there are repercussions listed out that go into effect after the first freebie reminder (which we have yet to have to give!) that are helpful for the adults and children alike.


The kids have always had general chores and helped out anytime we are doing any kind of house or yard work, but now that most of their camps are over and they're home more, we realized we needed a more set system instead of the admittedly somewhat random system we'd been using before. Everyone likes clear expectations and fair, age-appropriate divisions of responsibility.

On divisions and responsibilities, I'm sure you were all wondering what happened to Maggie while we were in Colorado.


She was shocked to discover she would not be hiking at high altitude, but we found a wonderful in-home boarder for her and after many discussions with the owner I knew she was going to LOVE doggie summer camp.


And she did!


I texted regularly for updates (#HelicopterMom) and my messages quickly went from "how is she doing??" to "do you think she'll remember us?!!". Mags got homemade dog food, a new pack to roam with, unlimited indoor snuggle time, carefully monitored outside time (she will overheat herself in minutes if left to her own devices), and LOTS of love. Her camp counselor sent me this message on night 2 and I knew she was in loving hands, “Maggie is the absolute best... She has my heart. She has every reason to turn away from humans yet she has such a loving and kind heart. I love her so much! Thank you for sharing her.”


James and the kids picked her up. It was a joyful reunion, though she was disappointed by the lack of boiled chicken, potatoes, and rice for her dinner, and the bath I gave her as soon as I got home from work. She then slept 24.5 hours a day for the next four days.


Summer sleep away camp is EXHAUSTING.


I tried to make her join me in the kitchen Tuesday night while I cooked dinner, but she fell asleep sitting up.


She started waking up yesterday and we've been very proud of her every move since.


"Gooooob morning family!". She has been smothered in love and is back to following us around to various rooms in the house during the whole FOUR hours she's now awake each day. (Ish. When you add all the awake time together.)


It's almost time to leave for the swim meet - Regionals/State Qualifier! - so I need to go verify that caps and goggles and swim suits are actually packed. Landon swims tomorrow, but he'll be along to cheer on the girls this afternoon.


I'll leave you with two of my favorite pics from the last swim meet we went to before our trip. Cora and her Coach Dad. Love them- and this sport that brings all of us together each summer.



Oh! And a bonus chapter I typed up earlier - the meals from the last week! May you all have a great one ahead.

Mon: Verde Chicken Enchiladas (cook frozen chicken breasts in the crockpot all day in verde salsa, shred (in your mixer!), roll into tortillas with shredded monterrey jack cheese, spoon over a thin layer of sour cream, sprinkle with monterrey jack, and smother in green enchilada sauce; bake at 375 for 20-25 mins), Black Beans, Brown Rice, Diced Tomato and Avocado on the side.

Tues: Fettucini with Prosciutto & Peas (this recipe with 16 oz of whole wheat spaghetti, with frozen peas thrown in the pasta water 3 mins before time and sliced up prosciutto added at the very end). Cora declared this her new favorite meal of all time and the one she will choose on her birthday in November.

Wed: Crockpot Red Beans & (Brown) Rice. So good and completely fool proof. On Wednesdays I got straight from work to double yoga classes to training, so I like knowing there's a yummy dinner waiting for my loved ones at home. I use smoked turkey sausage in this one and TJ's bags of frozen brown rice (which will change your life if you don't already use them).

Thurs: Turkey Tacos (ground turkey browned with onion and garlic, taco seasoning, and a can of drained pinto beans), flour tortillas, mexican rice, refried beans, toppings.

Fri: Whole Wheat Rotini with Meat Sauce (ground beef browned with onion and garlic, then mixed with one jar store bought pasta sauce, one can tomato sauce, small handful of basil and oregano, big handful of shredded parmesan), sliced raw vegetables.

Sat: Gyros (from TJ's refrigerated section), Naan Bread (from TJ's frozen section), Greek Orzo Salad (Orzo, sliced cherry tomato, diced cucumber, diced orange bell pepper, kalamata olives, crumbled feta, homemade Greek dressing from this recipe), Tzatziki sauce.

Sun: Salmon (broiled with this rub), Roasted Potatoes (with extra of the rub from the salmon), Carrots and Broccoli (probably roasted, possibly steamed depending on oven space).

4 comments:

  1. Love your new photo! Lucky you to get a really good one for the classes. Love hearing about Maggie's stay at summer camp. We have a Maggie too and also call her Mags and Maggles like your kids call your Maggie. Ours is a border collie who looks like the one in the camp photo.

    I really come for the recipes. You have clued me in to budgetbytes and a lot of great recipes. I wish the internet had been usable for recipes and working mom tips when my kids were little as meals and dinner were my biggest frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you’d share a photo of the chore schedule? Struggling with that very issue in this house at the moment’

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the "share a photo of your chore schedule". Also wondering what your consequences are for reminders?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How in the world do you find time to create these long, lovely blog posts?! I'm glad you do, though. Take care of you!

    ReplyDelete