Saturday, April 6, 2013

Food and This Week

I dragged myself to Landon's soccer game this morning (a game in which he scored four goals!), but I forgot to pack snacks (for me, Claire tucked some fruit snacks into her penguin backpack), so by the time we were driving home at 11:30 my stomach was churning and I was pretty sure I was going to die. I needed a hamburger, and it needed to be amazing, and I needed it immediately. We made straight for Rodeo Goat where I ate a half plate of cheese fries and a cowboy burger involving bacon, sharp cheddar, onion rings, and bbq sauce. It was glorious. It messed up my plan to have burgers at home tonight, but it was worth it.

JP is running around like crazy getting ready for the opening of his swim school and very first lessons beginning at 4 p.m. on Monday (he literally just ran through the TV room with his hands in the air saying "42 hours till opening day!"). We went to Target after our burger-fest to buy him a few organizational items. I'm sort of an expert on the plastic storage bin area of Target, so I gave him a tour, and he walked out the proud owner of a bin for pool toys, clipboard for his lifeguard/deck manager to look official when people walk in, and a very cute set of buckets for after-lesson treats.

The rest of the day was spent with house work and yard work and me going grocery shopping when I was hungry again and buying out much of Trader Joe's. Now I'm watching the Food Network and have informed JP that I need (a) Stacey's Naked Chips (commercial); (b) French toast (Chopped Champions dessert item); and (c) Einstein' cinnamon sugar bagel (random inspiration). I have none of these things, but I do have this week's menu:

Saturday: Rabbit food (the contents of your vegetable drawer + dressing; tonight's edition: 1 bag of romaine, 1/2 bag of butter lettuce, 3 diced hard boiled eggs, half an English cucumber, pint of sliced cherry tomatoes, big handful of shredded carrots, 1 diced avocado, 1/2 diced orange pepper, small handful shredded cheese, homemade balsamic vinaigrette, really big bowl).

Sunday: Caprese chicken breasts, angel hair pasta with herbs (mix from a box), lightly sauteed green beans.

Monday: My mom's amazing spaghetti sauce (that I will make and simmer all afternoon on Sunday) with whatever shape pasta is in our pantry, salad, bread with butter and too much garlic salt (I loooooove garlic salt).

Tuesday: Beef with broccoli, rice, TJ's chicken shu mai appetizers.

Wednesday: Leftover spaghetti, more garlic bread (and garlic salt).

Thursday: Breakfast tacos, fruit; or possibly takeout Thai food to celebrate the end of JP's first week (there's little he loves more than chicken pad thai and we haven't ordered it in forever).

Friday: Homemade pizza (or Trader Joe's frozen Chicago-style pizza because it's delicious and easier).

It's going to be an interesting week. JP will be busy and nervous and excited. I will be working an exciting new alternative schedule of 7-freaking-a.m. to 3:30 p.m. so I can get home to watch the kids while he goes to coach (we'll be adjusting childcare soon, but are doing this for a few weeks to save many dollars). When we decided to do this I was not 8 weeks pregnant and alternatingly overwhelmed with hunger and exhaustion every 30 minutes, so it will be interesting. I give it a week, mostly because our daycare director is out on vacation and we can't talk to her about changing the schedule for exactly one week. Good thing I bought out Trader Joe's.

1 comment:

  1. How are the 7:30 mornings going?? I can say, I really like the quiet of the morning. Not that I make it very productive, just that no one's bothering me at that hour, in the office. Heh.

    ReplyDelete