Friday, February 6, 2009

Blogging and Other Hobbies

I realize there hasn't been much content on this blog lately. There are two reasons for this: One, our lives, while incredibly full, have settled into a sort of groove where one day isn't that much different from the next. JP goes to school and spends every spare non-family time minute trying to get his company up and running. Landon goes to daycare where he dances and smiles and gets kisses from his girlfriend (though he apparently had a pretend picnic with a different girl yesterday, so there might be some drama there we don't know about). I go to work where I mingle with adults, come home to chase Landon and make him laugh, and then cuddle up next to JP on the couch with a good book while he works on spreadsheets I don't care to understand. It's busy, but quite wonderful the vast majority of the time and I've found I simply have less to say when things are going well.

The second reason is the opposite of the first. There is one relatively major thing happening but I can't write about it until it's official. And just to head off speculation, the news does not involve a Landon 2.0. Landon 1.0 is currently sprouting five new teeth and his mouth is swollen and sad, causing him to wake up every hour last night. That brief reminder of what our lives were like one short year ago eliminated almost all desire to procreate ever again. I'm sure it'll come back, probably as soon as I visit my friend's new baby again, but for now, we're good.

But never fear, for I do have other non-mundane, non-too-big-to-share news. I have decided to pursue a hobby. I know this is bold. I have free time, but very little of it is exclusively mine and even that is subject to the whims of my job, my toddler, and my body's occasional habit of forcing me to sleep. But I need something of my own to be excited about and to make time for. JP has his swimming- even in Chicago with investment banking, freezing temperatures, a non-sleeping baby, and a two hour commute, he always swam at least four days a week and still does. I find that both impressive and unbelievably irritating- there's so many things he doesn't have time for and yet he always finds (makes) time for a work out. I'll admit that a large part of my simmering irritation with his swimming is jealousy. I don't make time for myself like he does. Sure I can couch it in terms of not wanting to sacrifice time with him or Landon, or even more selflessly, I don't want to ask him to cover for me so I can get away, but the truth is I'm unnecessarily playing the martyr. JP gives up sleep and free time for his hobby and he's frequently offered to help me to the same.

So I'm taking up photography. I've long been an enthusiastic picture snapper- I'm probably responsible for 90% of my family's pictures of vacations and big events growing up. I even have pictures of my brother when he came home from the hospital- I was 5 1/2 and took them with my my blue plastic Fisher Price camera. I've graduated from Fisher Price to a series of inexpensive point and shoots, but I'm increasingly dissatisfied with their picture quality, especially indoors, and I feel it's past time for an upgrade. Plus, I'm now responsible for capturing the ever-changing images of my children; it's important work and deserves to be done well. Or so I kept telling myself to build up the courage to press "checkout" on the camera I spent way too many non-billable hours researching on Monday and Tuesday.

Here is my new baby (and it won't ever wake me up at 2 a.m.):



It's a Nikon D40 Digital SLR with 18-55mm AF-S kit lens and separately purchased 55-200mm AF-S VR lens. It shipped yesterday and I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a purchase. I've never spent this much on myself- it took all of my anticipated birthday money and I feel wonderfully indulgent. (Though I did find a great deal through Adorama- the camera and both lenses for $509!) I've borrowed photography books from a friend and in a particularly bold move, signed up for a digital photography class through UT's informal class program. For four Wednesdays in April I will need to be on campus by 6pm for three hours of lecture and lab and maybe even note taking! God I miss school. I just hope I can beat my work schedule into submissive cooperation.

I'm still researching camera bags, so if you have a suggestion I'd welcome it. I'm liking this Lowepro Fastpack for going out and about but think I'll also need a basic case to store everything in the house. Are there any other necessary accessories? I can't wait until my camera arrives next week so I can start playing with it and reading the manual (I'm a big fan of manual reading)- I'm practically squealing in my office. Happy early Birthday to me!

14 comments:

  1. Tripod or monopod. And a good bounce flash, though you'll have to learn how to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny is it that I just posted, like ten minutes before this, a post about adding another "activity" to my life! Weird symmetry going on between us lately. We diverge at the point of commitment, though. You embrace commitment. You are decisive. Also, you are beautifully bold and colorful. Now that I see what the healthy person's way to approach such a question is, I shall happily await the product of your union with YOUR new fling: lots of cools pics. You are so cool. Truly. Can't wait to see your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, Happy Birthday! I signed up for a workout class card for our neighborhood community center. I think this springlike weather has made us feel like a fresh start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Blog reader here... I'm in the same photog class as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh one more thing, make sure you get filters for both lenses... I also ordered my Nikon SLR from the internet, so I didn't have a camera savy person telling me the necesary things I need. But filters are a MUST! They protect the lense from UV light outside, and also protect from scratches... so if the lense accidently is scratched, its only the filter. They are pretty inexpensive, about $15-20 a piece at Wolf camera downtown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick! Will you update us and let you know what you think of the class?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent choice! I got the same model for Christmas 2007, and I adore it. You should absolutely get a tripod, and filters. The UV filter is great, and I'd recommend a circular polarizing filter if you take a lot of pictures out in the sun. It helps to take away some of the glare/washout. I also love the wireless remote for taking pictures at night or taking pictures of myself, without having to use a timer. Sadly, we don't have any good photography classes around me, so I've been studying books. I hope your class is wonderful! Please let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I received the very same camera as a Christmas gift. I love, love, loooove it. But I haven't been able to test it's wings, or sign up for a photography class yet. And by haven't been able to, I mean, have been to lazy to. ;) I hope you'll love your camera as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. congrats on the new baby.

    I love my crumpler 6 million dollar home camera bag. It protects my equipment but doesn't scream "expensive camera inside!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband bought that camera nearly two years ago, and the pictures are amazing! I have studied photography, and have a less fancy camera, he just has a good eye, and his pictures are amazing. You will love it, I can't wait to see some samples!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you for pursuing a new passion! Having a good camera with a baby/toddler is so important! I told my husband that I didn't care about any baby stuff purchases as much as I cared about investing in a nice camera- it was sooo worth it!I will never go back to point and shoot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the recommendation for Adorama - but if you ever have a query or concern regarding an order from Adorama Camera or AdoramaPix, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

    Sincerely

    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador


    helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
    www.adorama.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. happy early birthday! i got the nikon d80 for my birthday and i love it. i am planning to take a course this spring. can't wait to hear what the other news is... suspenseful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohhh ive done some photog myself this past semseter (see my fbook - ut football pics!!!) but ive just been using a freinds camera! i really want to get one of my own =] youll have to let me know what ya learn in the UT informal class!!!

    x0

    ReplyDelete