Sunday, August 18, 2024

Real Life: Week 1

Taking a break from vacation blogging to dip back into real life events. I SWEAR I am actually going to finish chronicling this trip- I have already uploaded the pictures for the last few posts and everything, but there have been happenings in the 106 degree place we currently call home and I suppose we should cover those too. Dallas wildlife sighting! It's a bulldog with a tummy ache that cost $700 to diagnose!
Our wild house cat needed a lot of comfort after our absence. It was all cuddles and kangaroo time all the time. None of us minded.
As I last mentioned, our return to reality was a little rough, what with 3 kids having orientations at 3 different schools on the first day we were back, Cora having two separate orthodontic appointments on that day, and Landon needed an emergency periodontist appointment also on that day, and me having about 10 calls scheduled over 8 hours, Maggie needing to be picked up from boarding, Landon suddenly getting his wisdom teeth out on Friday, but we did it!
We also got James and the kids' passports renewed Friday morning. Landon is finally old enough for a big boy 10-year passport and it hit me that he will be 27 the next time he renews his and I will not any part of that process. Also, when I was 27 I had been married for 5 years and had 2 kids. Holy hell.

ANYWAY, staying in the now.
The kids started school on Monday!!
First days of 11th, 9th, and 5th grades. Two high schoolers, one elementary schooler. A junior with post-wisdom teeth removal swollen cheeks, a very nervous freshman heading to a new school, and a 5th grader mostly just annoyed she had to wake up early instead of sleeping in like a cat in the sun as she prefers.
Everything went pretty well. Everyone got to school on time. Schedules were largely correct. Mornings were surprisingly smooth, though man is it a different world with big kids rather than littles. My summer mornings have been a delight. I wake up when everyone is asleep, I drink my tea in quiet surrounded by happy pets, and heading off to work is the only thing I have to do before I... head off to work. Now it's help with outfits and hair, lunches and "yes you need to eat something for breakfast," making sure the house is ready for whatever might be happening that day, etc. I use to love the return to school because it meant no more patchwork of summer camps and total lack of a regular schedule. Now I already can't wait for our next school break.
But mostly, everything went well and we're all so very glad.

I did deeply enjoy this text exchange with Landon on Thursday. The "F around and found out" phase of parenting is my favorite because it means the list of things that are my problem just keeps getting shorter.
We did a little back-to-school party for a few of Cora's friends on Saturday morning. We did this last year and it was so fun to get in a little get together with the girls and moms before everyone's activities kick up again.
Okay, let's talk about me! I had my pre-fall stylist appointment, this time with Bonnie's Associate Wardrobe Stylist and she killed it. Love love all the outfits she put together for me.
While the kids were conquering week 1 of this 2024-2025 academic year, I was learning how to use Instagram (I am the latest of adopters) by posting my outfits of the day in my "stories" which are magical things that disappear? Expire? I don't know. But it was fun! Here's Tuesday - Friday.
And the color-by-numbers I followed:
So fun!

Also fun? This mini branding iron James thought we needed when he was doing our grocery shopping. Maybe he was inspired by the fact our trip to Yellowstone finally inspired us to watch the TV show?
In some families, you brand your steaks. We brand our vegan burritos.

On Friday night we watched Twisters and ate pizza and it was most excellent (the movie, the pizza, Glen Powell, and being all together). Tonight we had Claire's new swim team dinner; it was great to see her sitting with her new teammates and we're so excited for what the year holds.

Tomorrow morning we kick off Real Life Week 2! I'll be in DC for most of it, but don't worry I'll be back to vacation blogging soon.
These new pins in our National Park map deserve their details.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you get the National Parks map? I love it and need one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etsy! It was several years ago, but it shipped as a flat rolled up print and then I had it mounted onto particle board and framed at Michael's. I love it and was glad it has a new home in the game room after the move.

      Delete
  2. The "some people brand steaks, we brand vegan burritos" is sending me!

    Re-entry sounds very challenging. The back-to-school chaos is so real. I hope things smooth out! Love your outfits.

    ReplyDelete