Wednesday, August 28, 2024

PSA: Physicals & Gallstones

For someone who really does try to be relatively healthy, I feel like I come to you with a lot of PSAs. Like getting your dermatology checks for skin cancer, which I've somehow already had three times (2016, 2019, 2021, though nothing in the last 3 years!). I try to eat well(ish), I stay (relatively) active, I see doctors regularly, get my blood work done every year, and try to speak up when something is concerning me.

Which is why it was a shock when I signed up for an Executive Physical, expecting to get some helpful baselines for the future, and instead left with a referral to a surgeon to get my gallbladder removed as soon as practicably possible. As I waited to discuss my results in more detail with the doctor I was furtively googling "what is a gallbladder and what does it do?"

But first let me back up. One of my firm benefits is that it will reimburse partners for one executive physical a year. I kept putting it off, figuring I am relatively healthy and see quite enough doctors anyway (this was in the middle of all these issues). Then one of the partners I'm close to did his and strongly recommended it, so I called The Cooper Clinic in Dallas last November to make my appointment. And their first available spot was July 17, 2024. So, I booked that, and put it out of mind.

July 17th came and after fighting all month to keep the day clear of calls and meetings, I showed up at The Cooper Clinic at 7:30 a.m. in my exercise clothes to begin a day of learning all about myself. And you guys, it was incredible. It was one of those things where I felt simultaneously SO incredibly grateful I could receive this kind of testing and care, while also so mad that not everyone can. The inequality in healthcare in a nation with our resources is really a tragedy. But I was there, and I was going to get everything out of it that I could.

The day started with blood work and then meeting my internist who talked through the tests they generally do while getting an in-depth medical history to see if any should be added (like a bone density test when I mentioned my mom's struggles with osteoporosis). I was seemlessly walked through various rooms and doctors: an abdominal CT scan, the most thorough skin check I have ever received from a dermatologist who also mapped all my various little freckles or moles so they can be compared year over year, a dietician (so helpful!), an exercise test (so hard!), strength and flexibility testing, a thorough physical examination, and more that I can't remember. I learned so much and what I appreciated most was how you met with doctors in real time to go over your results, so everything was immediately put into context and presented in a very non-alarming manner.

I discovered my cholesterol is high, which was kind of a surprise. Over the years I had occasionally been on the high end of normal, but never outside the normal band like this was. I talked with the dietician about some simple changes to make and I'll get my blood work redone in 6 months. To my shock the results will go straight to that same doctor and then he'll call me to talk through it. My bone density was borderline low, so I'm adding more weight-bearing exercise and we'll retest that next year. My skin looked great (yay!) though there's a mark or two to keep an eye on. My exercise test found me in Excellent shape, which the doctor said is one of the greatest predictors of longevity. The only band that's higher was "Superior" so I'm working for that next year.

When we sat down to review my abdominal and chest CT scan, he said my heart was in perfect health (yay!) with a plaque score of 0, which is as good as it gets. My lungs, liver, and other organs looked great too. He kept reading and then his eyes got big and he said, "huh, I've never seen radiology use this phrase before:

"Patient's gallbladder is packed full of gallstones."

What?!

As I soon learned, the gallbladder is a small organ in the digestive system that stores and concentrates bile, a yellowish-green liquid produced by the liver that helps the body digest fats. When you eat, your stomach releases a hormone that causes the gallbladder's muscular lining to squeeze bile into the small intestine through the main bile duct. The more fat you eat, the more bile the gallbladder releases. Bile is made up of several substances, including cholesterol, bile salts, and water, and can form gallstones when the chemical composition of bile in the gallbladder becomes unbalanced by too much cholesterol (80% of gallstones are made of cholesterol; hmmm), bilirubin, and other factors like being female (great) and over 60 (not even close yet!).

In the paraphrased words of the doctor, sometimes gallstones are completely innocuous and regardless of what a scan shows, if the patient isn't exhibiting any symptoms, they usually don't take any action. However, mine was packed so full, they were very concerned about it turning gangrenous (as bad as it sounds) and/or trying to offload some of those stones into my digestive tract which would be very painful and require surgery anyway. Given how much I travel, he was also concerned something like that could happen when I'm away from home, which would not be great.

He expressed surprise I wasn't experiencing symptoms.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Oh, nausea, bloating, and digestive distress after eating, frequent feelings of heartburn, occasional intense stomach pain..."

"Oh I experience all of those things pretty often."

[glare from the doctor] "You didn't write any of it down on your intake form!"

"It never occurred to me those things could go away."

In the last few years I have never left the house without Pepto chewables, Pepcid pills, and gas pills in my purse. These always fixed whatever I felt, so it never occurred to me I could prevent them entirely.

And so, I called the surgical referral my new internist gave me. I met with her a couple weeks ago and she agreed the gallbladder needed to come out asap. I scheduled the surgery for this past Tuesday and was generally told this would be a simple surgery: laparoscopic, small incision, quick recovery, no prohibition on exercise or really anything, just to get up and walking and do whatever I felt comfortable doing. Great! I thought. I've already had the hysterectomy, this will be a breeze. I'd take off surgery day, do some calls from home on Wednesday, and be back in the office on Thursday for a presentation to a Board of Directors.

Except no. No, of course not.
The surgery was supposed to be 45 minutes but went well over an hour. My gallbladder was the largest my surgeon had apparently ever seen. It took "a lot of tugging" to get it out. I have a picture of it cut open once it was outside my body and the sheer volume of bile and gallstones is insane. My poor belly button, which started with a 1/2" incision, ended up with a 2" (!!!) incision, and my 3 other incisions were tugged on more than usual and my whole belly is swollen and tender and mad. (Note: the tiny scar in the bottom left corner of the picture is from the tubal and hysterectomy surgeries, which is more what I was expecting to see when I woke up yesterday!)
Needless to say I was NOT on my calls this morning and I'll be doing my board presentation from home tomorrow. I have slept a lot. Ice packs help the swelling. I wake up on my own every 6 hours for my next pain pill. Milo has once again stepped up as a nurse and takes his duties very seriously. I can't eat anything with fat for about a month while my body adjusts to not having a gallbladder, and it's probably a good idea to not go crazy with fried foods ever again, not that I really ever did, which is again why all this was so surprising.
So in the last calendar year I have had three abdominal surgeries: a tubal ligation and ablation, a hysterectomy, and now a cholecystectomy. Add in two c-sections and my mid-section looks like it's been to war and I feel like it blames me. But I'm excited to feel better, deeply grateful for the opportunity to have the opportunity for such a thorough physical, and glad that I've already scheduled my 2025 appointment.
In the meantime, Milo and I will be cuddling, I will be icing and taking my medicine, and my family will keep checking on me and giving me gentle hugs while they handle everything else that needs to be handled.

18 comments:

  1. so jealous you got a photo of your gallstones, i never even got to see my wisdom teeth :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Longtime reader Sophie here- so great this got picked up early, and you could get it removed so quickly, although sorry to hear the surgery was so rough. You’ve had so much surgery this past year, hopefully that’s all for a while now. Fingers crossed thats fixed all your abdominal symptoms now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Recover well! Also, I had no idea executive physicals were a thing. Last week I was saying that I wished there was somewhere that would just do everything on a same-day expedited basis because taking a day for a ton of appointments would be SO much less disruptive than the patchwork that health care usually is. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Same! I had mine out in 2017 and when the surgeon came over while I was in recovery, he said "well, THAT was nasty". OK, thanks, I guess? My advice, TAKE IT REAL EASY for 2-3 weeks at least. Do not open heavy glass conference room/office doors, don't try to sit in meeting for too long, and definitely don't do what I did, which was go to London a month later and take an Indian food tour. Ooops. But seriously, they're small incisions, but they definitely stirred up your innards in there and things will swell and be sore for a while yet. I find I cannot eat too much meat in one sitting (cuz, the support bile the gallbladder gives isn't there), I can have booze, but not more than 1 or 2, all the charcuterie things that I love, I have to eat very limited amounts, and...cruciferous veggies (raw) are hard for me to digest and I do feel some digestive pain. Most people don't have this and can go back to their normal diet, but I wanted to experiment to see what was OK to easily digest vs not with no ye olde G to the B. Take it easy and wishes for a smooth recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m so sorry! I had mine out in my 30s and I am one who has completely forgotten I ever had one. Maybe if I have too much salad or too much fat I have to get myself to the bathroom quickly? No I don't think so esp with fat. My system tends slow and I don’t overindulge and honestly I’ve forgotten I don’t have a gallbladder and have probably forgotten to list that surgery more than I remember. I had laparoscopic and the belly button hernia repair (from pregnancy) was the traumatic part because I overdid on that way too soon in terms of physical activity. (Had to have outie “repair” for lapro) Gallbladder free has been fine for me and prayers for you too and for those stitches as that will def be longer recovery that laparoscopic! 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you are getting better soon, best wishes for a smooth recovery.
    Long time reader, first time commenter, but my husband had the same surgery yesterday (less stones though).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had my gallbladder out in 2023 and I am SHOCKED you never had more intense pain. I would be up in the middle of the night for HOURS in such intense pain. It started as maybe an hour of pain and by the end when I couldn't stand it anymore the pain was lasting for 6-8 hours. Misery. My surgery was pretty easy and I recovered fast and I'm sorry that you are not experiencing that!

    Don't let the horror stories scare you- I find that I can eat more things now that I could before! Hope you are feeling back to your normal self soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another 41 year old PSA: get an early colonoscopy if you have any family history of precancerous polyps or colon cancer. My mom has had the former so I went in yesterday and the surgeon found and removed an 18mm polyp which is apparently quite large. He was reassuring but said it was good I didn't wait until 45 or 50 for my first one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a quick and smooth recovery, and take it easy! Law firm life is no joke in how hard you work, I know. Also, I admire that you have been able to remain active and healthy despite these setbacks--your recent vacation blogging certainly shows that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best wishes in your recovery! I appreciate you sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness. That's insane. It's good you went to the doctor and got this addressed. Mini soapbox I feel like as women we are so used to brushing things off like all those symptoms you have been having stomach-wise and I just hate that. Wishing you a smooth recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had my gallbladder out (easy and quick healing) and then my appendix several years later. My appendix surgery was the complicated one- they couldn't find my appendix! They had to convert to an open procedure and finally found it, it had fused to the colon and was hard to find apparently. My digestive system changed drastically after both surgeries. Now it's mostly normalized but I am still careful what I eat on an empty stomach. I wish you speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can also get an executive physical through work but like you, I workout, eat decent, go to the doctor, etc. so wasn’t planning to use the benefit but your experience definitely inspired me. I’ll have to add this to my list to call and schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying you have a fast recovery!
    May I ask what were the simple changes recommended to help with cholesterol? Battling the same myself…

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had mine out when I was 18-I was thin, healthy, and definitely not 60!! But I was having horrible pain attacks that lasted for hours and ended up with me in the ER at 2am-so you’re so lucky they caught it! Mine was so big and the stones were like actual rocks-my 45min
    Procedure lasted almost 6hours!!! Many years later, I would never know I don’t have one-and the scars are barely visible!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an incredible benefit. I hadn't heard of an executive physical before, so thanks for spreading the word. Here's to a swift recovery! -P2P

    ReplyDelete
  17. So, I also just had my gallbladder out yesterday. It wasn’t planned— I’m not sure how long I’ll be out of work or anything. My belly button is very angry— if it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t be in pain so much as sore. I also woke up fighting from the surgery when they woke me up from anesthesia. I never knew that I was a fighter! Mine was also very enlarged but I don’t think it was declared the biggest ever ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gah, you've had shades of my 2021 when, after never having surgery in my whole life, I had 2 in one year! One of those was to remove my gall bladder. Apparently it's very common in women in their 40s. Oh joy!

    ReplyDelete