Sunday, October 1, 2023

Hello October

Normally I love October. September is still blazing hot, but usually October can be counted on to cool down a bit. Except Cora had a 1 pm soccer game yesterday and it was "feels like 105" and I'm just so cranky and over it. Why do we live here? Why does anyone live here? I feel zero fall vibes and can't buy any pumpkins because they will rot. I'm sticking my tongue out at the whole forecast.
Maggie is too. She's just cuter about it.
Other things that happened in September, besides Claire's emergency and me being mad at the sun:

(1) Maggie went to the vet a record number of times. Forget paying for college, I'm in private practice for my special needs bulldog.
(2) I went to DC for work and hosted a women's initiative event where we talked about life and balance and choices and priorities and fighting for what you care about most.
It was a great night and I'm reminded that working with our women is one of the things I love most about my return to BigLaw. (That and paying the canine opthamology bills.)
(Note above from an associate in my office who was leaving to go clerk and it remains one of the best things I've ever received.)

(3) After DC I went to Chicago to moderate a panel on Insider Trading. I continue to love Chicago to the moon and back and it confuses my heart everytime I'm there and then fly home to somewhere else.
It was my first time moderating a panel and I enjoyed it very much. It's like being the hostess of a very nerdy party.
I stayed at the Four Seasons, where the conference was held, and I got upgraded to a massive 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom suite where I unfortunately only got to stay for 1 night, but I did use the living room for my morning workout and greatly appreciated the extra space.

(4) After Chicago I went to San Diego for a women's partner client retreat at the fanciest health resort spa I have ever seen (in part because I did not know health resort spas exist but they DO) and it was sublime.
Three nights with badass female partners and even badder ass female clients to connect, recharge, and do exactly what we'd all do with three extra days to do whatever we want: get up early for spectacular hikes in the mountains, attend multiple fitness classes a day across a variety of genres, eat amazing healthy food we did not prepare, sit by a beautiful pool, get a massage, eat dinner early and go to bed by 9 pm.
I loved every minute and have never felt better about the people I get to work with.
(5) In between all this constant travel (just earned my Southwest Companion Pass!), I have had a TON of billable work and it's nice to remember that I never love this job more than when I get to do a lot of it. And luckily, I'm actually living in the city I live in for the next several weeks, even if it is hotter than the surface of the sun.
(Me trying to make "Texas Fall" happen in work clothes while not dying of heatstroke.)

(6) Landon got his driver's license, after an INSANE series of events that made him and James drive out nearly to Arkansas two separate times to get the stupid thing, but now he has it and our lives are SO MUCH BETTER. He gets himself to morning swim practice and back, to school and back, and to afternoon swim practice and back, and suddenly James and I can handle all of the girls' logistics and maybe even a few of our own. Life. Altering. Especially since we haven't had any childcare or assistance in nearly a year.
(Picture from the first night he drove himself to afternoon practice and we all met at a restaurant for dinner because we were so excited but he didn't want to be in the picture so this is the only one we have.)

I thought I'd be more nervous when my first baby bird started driving his own car, but he's a cautious and careful driver and I watch him back out of the driveway from the camera app on my phone at 5:30 a.m. and wish him well.

(7) Speaking of cameras, our new house came with fancy cameras we don't really use, but every now and then I'll accidentally turn on the notifications and the day before I flew to DC happened to be one of those times. Suddenly, at 35,000 feet in the air, my watch buzzes and says "animal spotted on front porch" with a still of the video feed.
And it's Moose! I send an Amber Alert out to our family text thread, James sees it, and on my phone somewhere over Kentucky I see James swoop out and grab the Moose to bring him back inside. It was crazy. Sometimes technology is pretty great.

(8) James and I celebrated our 18 year wedding anniversary, which seems like such a big number I just double-checked my math, but yep, September 3, 2005 checks out.
What a marvelous day that was.
Luckily, I'd honestly say the days now are even better.

(9) I've quietly embarked on a health and fitness journey that I think will be sustainable and already makes me feel good even if the scale and tape measure haven't yet verified any quantitative results. I'm 40.5 and traveling constantly, eating out, hectic schedules, and slow metabolism are my reality and I need to act like it. Every trip is not a vacation and every meal is not a treat. Also, exercise makes me feel really good, and finding time, even 20 minutes, for it every single day is worth it- annoying as that is to accept.
(Maggie's fitness journey is not my own. This was our roundtrip walk yesterday. But she does her best. I walked 4 miles along the lake afterward.)
I stepped on the scale two weeks ago and I weighed the same amount I did the day before I gave birth to Cora. So, reality bites and I'm biting back. I'm not looking to be 30 again, and I've let go of the size 0 shift dresses I used to wear, but I'd like to feel strong and confident in the clothes I wear now. And I think I can.

10. And on that note, the fabulous Bonnie came over today and made my fall outfits and I am OBSESSED with them.
She is a genius and makes my clothes look so amazing. Every time she comes over I close out of all my internet windows because I realize I already have a beautiful wardrobe and I don't need a thing. Her services are one of the best investments I've ever made and gaining a friend in the process was a beautiful bonus.
And that's most of September and the first day of October! Looking forward to cooler days, longer walks around the lake, and more pumpkin spice in my life soon.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful, uplifting post! Before I forget, thank you for recommending Good Genes serum, you always look so fresh and I got it the other day and I think I see a bit of a difference in the color of my face. More rested perhaps, although I am not...

    Secondly, happy anniversary! Our 11th was this past July, and it's it wonderful to have a person in our life that is really closer than anyone else, except maybe the kids. T is closer to me than all of my blood relatives...

    Thirdly, I need to steal Bonnie from you- what an amazing way to create a wardrobe and just eliminate that decision (putting outfits together) every morning. The spread she put for you just breathes "faaaaaaaallllll" :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18 years this September here too and definitely used a calculator to figure it out :)

    The health journey is so tough - 40 hits and the weight just will not leave, and I'm completely unwilling to restrict my eating in any meaningful way. Hope you find something sustainable!

    ReplyDelete