1. JP and I just watched Catching Fire tonight and OMG it was SO good. Because we have young children and prefer eating dinner out where we can talk on the rare date night, we haven't seen a movie in theaters in over a year, so we are terribly behind on all movie pop culture references and have no idea what anyone is talking about re: the Oscars, but Catching Fire was my favorite book of the Hunger Games trilogy and I have been counting down FOREVER until I could see it at home. Not as good as the book of course, but still fun and a better adaption than the first in my opinion.
2. We drive to Austin and San Antonio and back tomorrow to visit friends and all four great-grandparents. A whirlwind showcase of the Lag Liv family (mostly Cora)- leave at 8:30 a.m., drive a total of 9 hours, back home by 10 p.m. Should be fun! (I'm actually not being sarcastic, but we'll see which tone is appropriate when I wrote about it on Sunday.)
3. Thank you for your dinner ideas on the last post. I'm happy to report that this week's meals were all a great success! Everything was tasty and I didn't want to kill anyone by the time they were prepared. The kids and I even read books and played Uno on multiple nights while things simmered! Now I just have to do that again, every night, for the next 12 years or so.
4. I took off work today because I was so sad I was going to miss my barre class tomorrow that I wanted to go to this morning's in its place. This is how obsessed I am. As an added benefit, I got to volunteer to hand out snacks at Landon's school walk-a-thon where the kids marched around the school several times to raise money to buy a cover for their playground (it is Texas and they have no covered outdoor space). I made JP go with me and we had lots of fun handing out pretzels and water bottles and cheering on the kids at our sweet little neighborhood school.
5. For the second part of my random day off I got a full bikini wax and went shopping for new summer shorts because I have faith that warm weather is coming. I found myself in Express, thrilled to find shorts similar to the ones I was replacing (purchased in 2003, when I was a junior in college), but wondering if maybe I'm now too old to shop at Express. The girls in the dressing room next to me were complaining about their 9 a.m. class on Fridays and how hungover they were after going out last night. I've been at work for 1.5 hours by 9 a.m. and can't remember the last time I thought Thursday was a "going out" night (well, yes I can, it was college. a decade ago.). But if I have the weirdly narrow hips of a 15 year old, does that make it okay? I ended up with 2 pairs of shorts (light denim and mint green), a skinny white belt, and some rhinestone anchor earrings and then left the mall to pick up my 3 children from school/daycare.
6. JP and I also just finished House of Cards Season 2. Very fun. Not the Great Drama it might want to be, but deeply enjoyable nonetheless. Mostly because Frank and Claire's marriage absolutely fascinates me. Someone needs to write a college thesis on it. Maybe those girls I was trying on clothes with in Express.
7. A Cora post is coming. She'll be 4 months old in 5 days and I'm really not exaggerating when I say she is the sweetest. No, that doesn't even cover it - she's the easiest-happiest-awesomest-snuggliest. There are not words for the glory of this multi-chinned baby who sleeps from 7-7 every night. We all adore her and she is simply delighted to be here.