Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Snow Day Q&A

I woke up at 6:30 to the delightful surprise of JP's presence in bed with me. Generally he leaves at 4:30 a.m. to swim every morning (because he is a crazy person), so anytime I reach out and find him near me is a happy day because (1) I love a good morning snuggle, and (2) it also means it's Sunday and the pool is closed. This has thrown me off once or twice when JP has gotten a surprise midnight email that the pool is closed on a week day and I decide it's Sunday in my half-awake state and turn off my alarm and go back to sleep only to discover later that no, it's Tuesday, and I needed to be halfway to work 5 minutes ago. That actually happened last week. (It throws the kids off too; that same morning, Landon walked in the room at 7:15 only to stop in shock and ask, "Mommy, who is that in bed with you?!".)

Today I registered his presence at the same time I heard Landon cry out, "IT'S SNOWING!!!" He burst into our room calling out everywhere he could see snow- on the deck, the trees, the grass, the grill, the chairs, the cars, etc., etc.! I was tired, but it was impossible not to smile at the joy and wonder of white fluffy frozen precipitation.


Claire was, of course, skeptical.


Tex just wanted to be let back inside. He patrols the perimeter of the yard first thing every morning, but this morning he sensed the yard was secure all the way from the patio door.


The office opened late. DFW has no ability to handle snow and ice (truly, not a salt truck to be found), so the cities shut down completely for several hours. Oddly enough, the kids' school did not. JP braved the snowy roads while I settled in for an episode of the West Wing and some personal to-do's on the laptop. And then I went to work, where I FROZE and spent the day shivering and drinking hot tea in an attempt to warm up enough to type things on my computer. I never warmed up much, but it is well after midnight and I am still high on the caffeine.

I'm realizing that I am going to have very little to say in the next few weeks outside of menus, weekend goings on (another trip to the zoo this past Sunday; it was 29 degrees and we were the only ones there. It was a fabulous time that was nearly identical to the time we had the Sunday before), and the occasional indulgence in how much spousal unemployment sucks. It's also been a year since my last Q&A and I came across several emails from blog readers in the Marchish 2012 time period and I now feel overcome with guilt because in the midst of the move and new job and lack of gmail access during daytime hours I never responded to them. (So sorry emailers, the lagliv gmails sometimes gets lost amidst the day-to-day account I have them forwarded to, though I do usually try to keep up.)

Which is to say, is there anything you'd like to hear about besides frigid zoo trips and weekly menus? Unanswered questions? Stories I started but didn't finish? Let me know and I'll fit them in between posts extolling the virtues of Sprouts and its grass fed beef for bargain prices!

13 comments:

  1. What's the latest with your in-laws? Are you ready to share that story yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1 - Romance Readers Anonymous updates? I've discovered the Julia Quinn Bridgerton series and like this (but why I can buy all bar the 5th book on Kindle is beyond me - it's not available to NZ!)

    2 - Have you thought about doing any non-blog type of writing? I recall you were offered a book deal at one point?

    3 - Favourite character in the West Wing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading your blog for probably three to four years by this point, and I love it. Your updates are always the first ones I read in my Google Reader account. I'm 24, and about to embark on a BigLaw career - and have finally become more comfortable about the thought of wanting children in the last six months or so (but not any time soon!) - but am very much still career-driven. I love reading your blog because I love reading about the balance that you strike between being an awesome and ambitious corporate lawyer, and an amazing mother - and that makes me more confident that maybe I'd be able to do the same. Are there women you've worked for who have inspired you/mentored you in juggling that balance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading your blog for about a year now. I'm also a lawyer but not a mom (yet!). I would love to have a family one day and reading your blog reassures me that women can be great lawyers and great mothers at the same time while still having time to devour some great novels :)

    I would love to know some of your favorite quick weeknight dinner recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Please do a post on your favorite/top blogs?
    2. I'm newly married, and I'm surprised that its not as 'fairytell' as I thought it would be. Have you ever felt a little bored in your marriage? If so, how do you and J.P. keep the fire alive?
    3. Update on the In-Laws
    4. How is your family dynamics compared to your family growing up? Any comparisons?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mentioned in a recent article an online savings account you used to save for you ski trip. I am definitely interested in something like this and would love to hear more about it!

    Any new shoes recently? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering the other day what happened to Rosie? Did you ever talk about her?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very longtime reader and fan here (I remember Landon's birth story!).
    What innate gender differences do you see between your kids?
    Do you ever feel cheated / bad about not having had a natural childbirth (I do; you seem more balanced than me about it)?
    Have you done any depositions or in-person interviews at your new job? How did they go? You've mentioned before being more shy in person than you come across here.
    Do you ever have the feeling that every lawyer around you makes more money? If yes, how do you deal with that weird "keeping up with the Joneses" feeling?
    Are you sleeping better? If yes, what worked? I struggle with insomnia too and the times when you've had it, I've wondered if it's pure stress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Landon seems like an amazing big brother, but I wonder if he had any trouble adjusting when (and before) she arrived. Any act-outs? Any advice you have to impart for any parents transitioning from 1 to 2? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was also wondering what happened to your second dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And do keep the recipes coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lag Liv! You mentioned quite awhile ago that you stutter, and you were planning on seeing a speech coach (...I think?) Can you write more about that?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What is JP's new business venture that you mentioned in a post a while back?

    ReplyDelete