Sunday, February 26, 2012

Funfetti Good Times

I turned 29 yesterday.

This seems to be a trigger birthday for a lot of people- to the point that almost everyone who knows my new age has asked, "oooh, how do you feel about it?"


But here's the thing- and I generally just answer with a smile instead of my real answer, which is that it feels pretty freaking awesome.

At 29, I've been married for six years to the love of my life- a man who will go back to HEB for the second time in a night, after working for 11 hours, to get me the right kind of Funfetti frosting for the birthday cake he then mixed and baked (and frosted) near midnight that night. I have two beautiful children who make me laugh every day, a fabulous education, great health, size 2 jeans, and a challenging career that's about to get even better. Despite including the darkest months I've faced, overall, my 20's have been pretty darn happy, and my general attitude toward's turning 30 next year is "bring it." We'll make that a great decade too.


the fam


We celebrated the big day with a table for 13 at the Gristmill historic river restaurant in Gruene, Texas. We were joined by my parents, four grandparents, brother, sister, and sister's boyfriend Billy. I love family gatherings and it was wonderful to get together one last time before we move 3 extra hours away from everyone.


oldest and shortest


After dinner my parents, sister, and Billy came back to our house in Austin for the now infamous Funfetti cake and champagne. JP received many compliments on the frosting. My siblings both gave me red wine and my sister's boyfriend gave me homemade red wine-- it was something of a theme. JP's gift, besides picking up and moving with no questions asked in support of my career, is going to be a piece of art for our new house. I just need to move into the house and find the piece of art I want first.


The first birthday I celebrated with JP was my 19th. Ten years later, it's the same cake and different almost everything else. Makes me wonder where and how and with whom I'll celebrate my 39th.


Not that I'm in a rush to find out- I'm not sure I'll be quite as sanguine about turning 40. But 29?

Bring it!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you had a great birthday and that you got to be with all your family! 29 doesn't seem scary at all to me. The first letter is still a 2! 30 is the birthday that scares me and I say that as my husband turns 30 in 14 days!

    P.s. I love the birthday tradition of funfetti and champagne- very awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! If you thought your twenties were good . . let me tell you from experience (ahem, a lot of experience) - thirties are even better!

    You do have a lovely life - that's probably why so many of us love reading about it. I'm glad you have a chance to celebrate it this week, and I can't wait to hear about the new chapters in the new place!

    **Don't be afraid of forty. I was, as forty is kind of APPROACHING for me. And then I looked at these pix of my blog friend Bon at forty, and I was like - what am I afraid of again?? HOTNESS.

    http://cribchronicles.com/2012/02/24/not-naked-pictures/

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girlfriend in their 30s are just so much cooler than all the ones in their 20s. They got life (mostly) figured out, have thriving careers, are sexy, have beautiful families, and are way more confident. You are totally going to rock 30s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! Thirties are pretty great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! I turn 40 later this year. I was 8 months pregnant on my 30th birthday. So happy not be on my 40th. I didn't have a bring it attitude about the 30s but I definitely do about the 40s. I can't wait.

    By the way, I know you're done with questions, but seeing your Dad smiling in the photo, I was wondering how he's doing after the accident he had a couple months back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's doing well, thanks for asking! The car ride gets uncomfortable for him (broken sacrum, plus he gets nervous) and he's still having trouble sleeping (between the sacrum, sternum, and ribs, there's no good position to lie down), but he's not in pain, he's off the pain meds, and he's back to work full-time, so at 6 weeks out, I'd say he's doing great!

      Delete
  6. I had the same thought as Kim T... so glad to know that your dad is doing so well again. Whew!

    Very happy b-day too. I've read your blog for FOUR years now (!), and I'm continually impressed and happy to see what a wonderful life you create for yourself and your family. You deserve the best, LL.

    Best wishes with everything! (And my, now all I want to eat today is funfetti cake! hehe). Warmly, MJS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday! I love that JP put the "29" candles on your cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday!

    Also glad to hear he's doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I turned 40 a few months ago. It's even better than 29! I promise, you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete