Friday, February 10, 2012

For Sale!

Aftr a whirlwind five days spent obsessing, list making, painting, scrubbing, mulching, and a million other little things, we had our carpets cleaned Tuesday, our pictures taken Wednesday, and were listed on Thursday. We were live on MLS at 3:00 and immediately had two calls for showings that afternoon at 4:45 and 5:30! And we have six EIGHT showings today, four on Saturday, and an open house on Sunday. One couple last night stayed for an hour- my poor dogs about collapsed from exhaustion as I walked them around and around and around the block (I thought it would be thirty minutes). That's a good sign right?

I'm biased of course, but I think the house looks pretty great:


living room, front hall, front door, study on left, dining room on right (formerly our play room; now a pretend reading room), guest bath around corner on left, master through arch/hallway off living room


fireplace we always meant to use; patio and deck in back with my pretty hanging flowers


master


kitchen and laundry


kitchen and eating area


Lanman's room


Claire's room (guest room and upstairs bath in other pictures)


upstairs game room


We did love this house, but I'm excited to look at our next home, which will likely be 1,000 square feet smaller and 80 years older. The dogs are at doggie daycare today while our home gets shown pretty much every hour all day (yay!) and then we head out for our family trip to Fort Worth tomorrow morning. Fixing up your house for other people to buy is not so fun; looking at houses other people have fixed up for you to buy is much more exciting. JP and I are heading back next Friday to tour schools and daycares (I've found two nearby, with great ratings, that can take the kids immediately or almost immediately!), follow up on the homes we liked, and look at apartments if we failed to fall in love with any of the homes (and as a back-up should we need to be in an apartment for a few weeks anyway). Things are happening!

I spoke with a fellow SEC staff attorney yesterday and after hearing her describe her general schedule and hours I was grinning so much, and feeling so overwhelmingly excited and happy and oddly relieved, my voice was shaky as I continued talking to her. This is going to be such a change for my family-- such an amazing change. With JP working from home, and my day ending by 5:30 without night or weekend work, we're basically going to double the amount of weekday time we can spend with the kids. And somehow this job is still the best possible career move I could have made, even if I didn't have kids or a husband or a hobby I'd love to discover. I am so excited you guys. So, so excited.

(back to Q&A later today or tomorrow- this post came bursting from my fingertips and I couldn't hold it back)

14 comments:

  1. YES YES YES that is GREAT news about all those showings! Tip: make sure to leave something that smells nice and some music playing softly. People ALWAYS commented on how the house smelled marvelous to our realtor and everything seemed to peaceful with the music. It's about showing them a fantasy. Will their stuff look as pretty or seem as calm? Who knows, but it's your job to make them think YES.

    SO glad things are working for you guys! It seems like everything is perfectly falling in to place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for you for the work-life balance part. I am an attorney at a "big" firm (for my state), the mom of two young boys (3 and 10 months), married to an attorney, and I'm just telling partners today that I will be moving to a reduced schedule. So far, everyone has promised I'll still get work from each of them and that each will help "make it work". It will be a huge relief for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you!!! You have a job you love and get oodles of time to chill with the family and pursue your own interest. Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy for you and the place looks great! Sounds like you won't have any problems selling it. Can't wait to see what you find in Ft. Worth. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house looks amazing! I'm sure the new place will be even better.
    Good luck with selling, buying, and daycare shopping.

    So excited for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great tip I heard about making the house smell nice when you're not there (and easier than baking cookies) -- heat up a storebought loaf of bread in the oven for a few minutes while you're home. The smell lingers for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great!! hope your weekend in Ft. Worth goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The house looks great! I hope your new house has a gorgeous kitchen like this house! WOW!

    Good luck on the house/daycare hunt. :) I bet with this new job you can do more yoga!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay!!! Your house looks great! I'm pretty sure I taught at the school in your neighborhood. It is such a wonderful area for families! When we put our house on the market we left pint-sized bottled waters on the counter as well as a basket of pretzels--such a little thing, but the prospective buyers with kids commented that it was nice. I also put out muffins, juice, and coffee for the inspection. Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great news! It looks beautiful and has a great location. I'm sure it'll sell quickly!

    I am so happy for you and JP about the improved family life situation to come. So wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good luck in Fort Worth!!! Your house should sell quickly...it looks immaculate!!! So excited and happy for you and your family!!!

    Patty from TX

    ReplyDelete
  12. How exciting. That job does sound amazing. I feel like over the last little while we have gotten to know that house quite well from pictures (I still remember your first excitement and video when you bought it!) It will be a change to see a new place in all your pictures, but an awesome change for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bravo! The house looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on getting it all done -- I know how nutso that punch list was!

    Also, I covet your (former) kitchen. Just saying. :-)

    ReplyDelete