Monday, February 9, 2009

Sunday Stories

Landon and I used to run a lot of errands together, back when he was little and immobile and easily entertained. Now that he is none of those things, I find that I shop a lot less. I refuse to be That Parent, blithely ignoring their screaming child while leisurely pushing a cart around the store. The last time we went to Wal-Mart I had to abandon a semi-full cart in the middle of an aisle because a screaming Landon was repeatedly attempting to throw himself headfirst to the floor. But on Sunday JP was studying and we really needed a few things, so despite my very vivid memory of that last trip, I decided to try again- surely my nearly 19-month-old is way more mature than the 15-month-old who tried to dive bomb out of the cart. In preparation I packed a few of Landon's favorite books, some fruit snacks, and a cup of water and out we went. I set him in the main part of the cart with his diaper bag full of goodies and he proceeded to "read" Brown Bear Brown Bear and keep up a steady stream of chatter the whole time we were there. I did a quick run through to get the items on my list, but he was so busy, I went back to peruse the kitchen gadgets. It was a downright pleasant experience- we didn't even need the fruit snacks!

After we returned from our errands, Landon grew oddly attached to a blueberry. I made the mistake of handing one to him when he was on the floor, not locked securely in his highchair, and rather than eat it, he carried it around the house very carefully between his extended thumb and pointer finger. The blueberry was very big, very juicy, and very blue. My carpet is very clean and very white. I followed him around for a few minutes, hoping he would tire of holding it, all the while fighting visions of smeared blueberry juice all over the carpet. When the visions finally overtook me, we were at the top of the stairs about to feed the cat. I plucked the blueberry from his chubby little fingers, thinking he'd be distracted by the Lilly wrapped around his legs, and he lost his shit- screaming, crying, writhing on the floor, and eventually, mounting an attempt to jump off the top of the stairs. Luckily I was right there to block him and moments later we were bouncing on the air mattress, blueberry totally forgotten. Toddlers may be a bit prone to hysterics, but at least they have the memories of a goldfish.

So the lessons here are: (a) do not attempt erranding with a toddler without the necessary supplies and (b) always stand between your overly dramatic toddler and any precipice when you're about to make him very mad, and because that could happen at almost any time, just generally orient yourself in front of the stairs. A third lesson, unrelated to parenting- when you need to be in your office by 7 a.m., go to bed before midnight. It helps with the cursing when your blackberry cheerfully chirps at you at 5:45. I've been reading a series of books set in Scotland and must have been dreaming about them because a choice bit of Gaelic and a few "bloody bleeping bleeps" flew out of my mouth. JP found it amusing, but I did not. I really need to start working on that coffee-drinking, or develop a taste for red bull (ugh), because I am way too tired to be doing the work I need to get back to doing.

18 comments:

  1. I am all for hurrying or leaving if the kid is upset. Sometimes you do have to get what is in the cart (milk for example when you are totally out) - but don't keep shopping!
    I love the blueberry story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG-- I know how hard it is to take a toddler shopping (especially with a younger sibling!) and I have found myself shopping a lot less lately. Or at least shopping less during the day when it is just me and the kids-- I wait for my husband to be off work, and we all go together. Sometimes, that's our idea of a fun Friday night-- Super Target!

    I admire your conviction and attention to the feelings of your fellow shoppers, but sometimes, it is just not possible to leave (I wish it were!).

    Glad you had a smooth trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, your friday night plans made me laugh because our big outing on Saturday night was a trip to the grocery store. And I'd make fun of that, except that it actually was fun family time :)

    And I don't mean to sound too harsh- there are totally times when you have to get something and you just have to grin and bear it with a tantrumming kid, and I know that no one suffers more in that situation than the parent his or herself. My ire is reserved for those who are not hurrying and not caring- they just push their cart, utterly ignoring their child- and in that case I'm pissed on the kid's behalf as well as my own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, yummy coffee! I can relate to your Gaelic wake up... once Ryan said "Glorious nation of Kazakstan" in his sleep (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong, but I'm in a hurry). I still tease him about it. I'm with you on the shopping. But tell me if you ever figure out what to do if you're out for lunch with a friend and your kid loses it to the point that you would leave if you were alone. It's rude to leave your friend hanging, it's rude to stay. What to do? Fortunately this totally unreasonable stage is relatively short lived and after that firm threats about lost toys and TV time should do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see your point, but I think it gets much more complicated when you have more than one child. Take a trip to Target, for example. I promised my son a soft pretzel when we were done shopping, but as we got on line, my daughter started screaming about something. Should I have broken my promise to my son and walked out that instant? Perhaps, but that seems really unfair to him and it's not something I chose to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha! I hate being THAT parent too. Actually, on Friday, there was a kid tantruming at the market and a total stranger said to me - glad it's not my kid this time! However, in the case of the Friday market tantrum, that parent had a pre-school age child out at 10PM. That's asking for trouble...

    That said, there are times where I need to go grocery shopping, I won't have a chance to do it again for several days, and there isn't much I can do but slink through the supermarket as quickly as possible while trying to ignore my screaming child(ren). I totally agree - supplies are crucial, but they don't always work. And you can't always leave the minute the kid has a tantrum.

    On another note, what are you reading right now? Sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi LT! Taking a preschooler out at 10pm is asking for trouble and that's when I have no sympathy. Same thing with a restaurant at 9pm, get it to go, your kids should be in bed anyway.

    I'm re-reading, for the millionth, time the Diana Gabaldon Outlander series ("Outlander" is the title of the first book if you want to look it up on Amazon). It's phenomenal- technically historical romance, but fans of the book get mad at that designation b/c it's a very atypical example of a romance. They're wonderfully written and researched (takes her 4 years between books) and great stories, I'm a big fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I just put the first one in my Amazon basket. I have a ridiculously long queue of books to get through before I buy more. I tend to impulse buy books, but I have a new resolution to make it through 2/3 of my queue before placing a new order.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Restaurants are the worst I think... at least in stores other people are there to get stuff, not just to enjoy themselves. In restaurants, people are out to have a good time and don't need to be interrupted by screaming children. My Sister in Law insisted we all go with her two small children to a VERY nice restaurant in NYC and it was miserable because I felt like everyone in there hated us the whole time.

    What's the rule with airplanes and crying/screaming children? I always hated being on planes with them, but I guess it's not usually the parent's fault? Now that I'm planning on taking a 6 hour flight with a 2 1/2 month old, I'm a little worried.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think with airplanes you grin and bear it, especially with a baby- people understand you can't do much about crying. I think the biggest offenders on airplanes are the parents who let their 5 and 6year old kids yell and kick the seats in front of them- at that age, you should have some control.

    But for a baby? You bring extra bottles of formula or breastmilk, nurse or use the bottle at take-off and landing, have something shiny and colorful for the baby to look at, and hope the buzzing from the plane lulls him to sleep. We found traveling at that age was much easier than traveling at a year or older- odds are he'll sleep for at least part of the flight. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to ask if you were reading Outlander. LOVE THOSE BOOKS.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know, they're the best!! Did you know the 7th one, "An Echo in the Bone" is coming out in September? Forever away, but at least there's a date set!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1. You just ruined my day. I thought shopping couldn't get much worse than trying to haul groceries up two flights of stairs with a squirming baby in my arms, but now I know better.

    2. It cracks me up that he was so traumatized by the loss of the blueberry he tried to suicide himself down the stairs. Suicide = not funny. A toddler attempting suicide over a lost blueberry = sorry, but it's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Also, DIANA GABALDON!!! Yea! Love those books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So ... I obviously have to do lots of errands with toddler in tow. I find it doesn't really matter how prepared I am. Sometimes I hit the lottery and he's happy the whole time, and other times he sits in the cart screaming, "UP UP UP UP UP" in a desperate attempt to dismantle the store. It seems to be totally random. Anyway, I still have to do it ... so I'm totally the obnoxious parent with the screaming kid. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Red Bull = blech blech blech >_<

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am That Parent. I avoid it as much as possible, but my husband works long hours and if we're to have any food in the house, well... it happens. And it sucks.

    Also, I'm not sure where I picked it up, but my curse phrase of choice is "bloody hell" and has been for quite some time. I've always preferred to swear in non-American, probably because my curse of choice has always been teh f-bomb for some reason. I'm just waiting for the day my two-year-old teaches it to all her little friends. {cringe in advance}

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you're looking for a red bull-like jolt you could try Rock Star. I think red bull (and coffee for that matter) is disgusting, but Rock Star tastes like carbonated juice. :) It's really sweet, so if you don't like really sweet...well I don't know what to tell you. I'm a grad student taking my oral qualifying exam in a couple of weeks, so I'm pretty knowledgeable on caffeine sources. :) And yes, I realize I'm totally procrastinating on your blog... I figure a bit of procrastination now and then is better than crying hopelessly over my piles of books and notes. :)

    ReplyDelete