Friday, November 3, 2006

Running

I am not a runner. I have never been a runner - even in elementary school I dreaded the Wednesdays when we had to run a mile in P.E. I used to Try to land wrong on my ankle so that I could sit out. I have always been a swimmer- I work much better in a universe with no gravity and sweating. However, lately I've gotten tired of being unfit and wanted a goal to motivate me to walk to the gym when its 30 degrees outside.

A few weeks ago my friend ran the Chicago marathon. I was so impressed and motivated by all the (insane) people running 26.2 miles in freezing weather and high winds that I went go on the Chicago Area Runner's Association website and downloaded a running plan for beginners. My plan is to work for 8 weeks to run 30 min. straight. It may not be a marathon, but I don't think I've ever run for 10 min straight. At least not since I figured out I could fake an injury to get out of P.E. (or accidentally wear sandals on running day). Today I finished week 2 and I'm very nervous about week 3. I'm hoping that by posting this and then pretending that other people read it, it will keep me accountable. This was much easier in swimming when I had a coach yelling at me to keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment