Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Early May Status Update: Food & Fitness

I want to start posting my menus in separate posts because I often use my old posts to plan new week's meals and I hate scrolling through all the narrative. And if I am annoyed at scrolling through my OWN preshus family stories, it's probably annoying to anyone else desperately seeking meal ideas for the week ahead. And so! Let's visit the food and fitness from the past week and the week ahead.

Workouts! First up, one big highlight of last week that I didn't mention in the last post: I managed to work out every day! I did it even when I was stressed and worked for 12 hours one day, and it made me feel REALLY good and I'm really proud of it.


Me, the week before

Mon: liabartha Instagram Live Class a blog reader sent me and then followed up until I did it (thanks Amanda!)
Tues: CorePower Zoom 45-min Sculpt Class.
Wed: 2 mile run.
Thurs: Orangetheory 40-minute app workout.
Fri: Taught a 60-min private yoga class.
Sat: Taught 75-min vinyasa yoga class.
Sun: Taught 60-min barre class!*

*I should note that when I teach now I do the whole class and just talk through it, so my students can see me on the camera the whole time, and NOTHING burns more calories that talking loudly continuously while you do a vigorous workout. I broke 700 teaching my last barre class and it feels GREAT.


Maggie feels similarly invigorated

I've made a few new playlists for my classes. This is my current Yoga set and this is Barre. Let me know if you have any new favorite songs for me to add!! I'm RebeccaFW on Spotify if you want to find me.

My plan for the week ahead:
Mon: Orangetheory 40-min app workout (done; this was killer!)
Tues: Orangetheory app (done!)
Wed: Orangetheory app
Thurs: Orangetheory app (I hope; I have a big video presentation that day and I'm already forgiving myself if this gets dropped)
Fri: Yoga on my own, maybe another Orangetheory workout. I'm taking off 2 hours early and it would be great to use part of that for a workout before I use the other part to drink a frozen takeout margarita to kick off Mother's Day weekend.
Sat: Teach 75-min vinyasa yoga class!
Sun: Teach 60-min barre class!


As you can probably tell, I've been very into the OTF app workouts. They're 40-minute videos that pop up on the app each morning; you can watch them anytime, they get my heartrate up and my muscles shaking, and I don't have to think in the slightest. The videos work in blocks, demoing each move and putting them together for various intervals, with a little ding each time you need to switch. I've been doing them outside at lunch while the kids swim in the pool for recess. I love the fresh air and the break and for whatever reason I will make myself start one of these when I won't get up to do anything else.


My view today during crunches

Meals!

Sunday: Big Salad Night! All the things- lettuces, bell peppers, tomato, cucumber, hard boiled egg, goat cheese or feta, cooked farro, beets, and whatever else we can scrounge up. Homemade balsamic vinaigrette (heavy on the balsamic vinegar, spoon of Dijon, little salt, little honey, olive oil).

Monday: Chicken Parmesan Meatballs. A new recipe from a favorite food blogger, it was great! Salads on the side.

Tuesday: Tacos! Traditional ground beef with a crunchy shell. I worked non-stop all day Tues, so James made this one and added diced up carrot and potato to cook with the beef and made these roasted diced sweet potatoes to have on the side with black beans and it was all DELICIOUS.

Wednesday: Fettucine with Prosciutto and Peas. I used this recipe for the fettucine, tossed frozen peas into the last minute of the boiling pasta, and add sliced up prosciutto towards the end (I pan-fry the prosciutto for a few minutes, just because we prefer it crispyish). Delicious!

Thursday: BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad. Claire's favorite meal in the whole world. I cook frozen chicken breasts on low in the crock pot with some bbq sauce, shred, and serve with cooked quinoa and tasty toppings: black beans, corn, tomato, avocado, cilantro, cheese, and a swirl of bbq and ranch. Corn or tortilla chips on the side are a must.

Friday: OUT! This was supposed to be Saturday, but Friday was a DAY and I needed hot chicken tenders from The Cookshack, mostly because I needed their sangria swirl margarita. Everyone was happy.

Saturday: Pizza. Relocated from Friday when I could not possibly make pizza dough, I doubled this recipe for the dough and it was great. Sliced up raw veg on the side, National Treasure on TV.

Sunday: Meatball Subs, Oven Fries, Raw Veggies with Dip. The meatball sub was a request from James and why not.

Monday: Salmon Patties, Homemade Tartar Sauce, and a salad with butter lettuce, steamed chilled green beans, chilled roasted potatoes, cherry tomatoes, and this Tahini Ranch dressing.


Tuesday: Tacos. Obviously.


Our Taco Tuesday Frontyard Picnic

Wednesday: Verde Chicken Chilaqulies, Mexican rice, black beans.

Thursday: Crockpot Red Beans and Rice (sub smoked turkey sausage). Normally this would have gone on Wednesday so we wouldn't have Mexcan twice in a row, but (1) nobody minds that but me; and (2) I have a big video presentation Thursday and need something that will be ready without effort when I'm done and that goes with the red wine I will be drinking when it's over.

Friday: Takeout! We switched takeout to Fridays because I am DONE by the end of the work/school week and pizza dough is too much to ask of me.

Saturday: Back to pizza! This is how I mark my weeks now. I'm going to try this variation for James and me (recommended by Jodi!), with traditional pizza dough for the kids.


And the meal planning begins again!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting these! I swear, some weeks I have more recipes I want to try than there are days in the week, but other weeks I stare at a blank meal plan for 10 minutes wondering what the hell we like to eat! I love seeing what other people are cooking and it's particularly helpful on those "I don't know what to make" weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI, that is much more like a pancake (dutch baby), and less like a pizza but so, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been loving the OTF workouts. I agree, Monday was a killer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am definitely trying that BBG Chicken Quinoa Salad! We do a similar thing with lettuce instead of quinoa but the quinoa sounds yummy. Also the crock pot is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete