Saturday, December 15, 2018

Champagne & Whiskey Ugly Sweater Party

So, going back a week ago (because that's what we do here now), we had a Champagne & Whiskey Ugly Sweater Party! Because why have one party theme when you can have two?!


We've done two wine parties and I just felt a calling (from all the stores' cute Christmas party decorations) for a more festive version. I adore champagne and a certain subsection of our guests have always turned our wine parties into whiskey parties anyway, so champagne and whiskey it became! And who doesn't love an opportunity to wear something ridiculous? I told myself I'd wear my faux bow dress that I wore to Disney last year ($12 on Amazon!), but then of course took myself immediately to Ross and found this gem instead. It's the only A-line dress to ever look good on me and there's a faux-fur faux-shrug! For less than $20! Who could resist?


(not me)

I starting planning the party, selecting the date most available to my mama friends, and then remembered to invite James. He was game, but apparently forgot about the Ugly Sweater part until I texted him a few suggestions from Marshall's five days before the event, to which he responded, "wait, why am I wearing these?" But then the day after I bought it he wore his sweater to a non-profit Board meeting! He's the president and I've never even seen him wear a sweater and he wore his jolly shark! I wondered if this was my Christmas present.


He rocked it. Don't you just feel like his shark wants you to have the happiest of Christmases? I do.


In other preparation, I used the party as an excuse to decorate the hall bathroom. Also known as the girls' bathroom, it's the one used by guests and it had never been decorated for Christmas before. I didn't want to change the bright blue shower curtain, so I went with bright and fun holiday decorations that were very different from the rest of the house.


So fun. The girls love it.


Normally there's a collage of hilarious and adorable potty training and baby bath time pictures in the corner, so I made a Christmas baby collage and I LOVE it.


Poor Cora. Seeing Santa is the worst.


Fireballs!

In other prep, I bought a giant thing of Fireball whiskey, many champagnes, prizes for the best dressed winners, sparkly and coordinated tableware, a set of 12 champagne glasses (you can get a dozen at Bed Bath & Beyond for $8, which is about the same as the crappy plastic ones that tip over all the time), maraschino cherries I started soaking in the Fireball on Wednesday, Santa socks, and a sparkly Christmas tree headband. Just the necessities.


prizes!

Oh, and a friend to come over and curl my hair the night before while our kids watched Christmas movies and we drank wine.


(And Claire's hair. She was delighted. Then it re-straightened immediately because her hair is not mine.)


On the day of, we went to Claire's final volleyball game and awards ceremony lunch, and then we did just a little bit of prep. Like moving all our furniture into the sunroom to make a Whiskey Lounge


and borrowing (and decorating!) a friend's cocktail table


and setting up a voting station


and adding a table for all the beverages and accessories.


along with an extra trash can and a whole bunch of ice. The usual.

It was my friend Sarah's 40th birthday the next day, so I'd been texting with her husband about having a cake for her (if they wanted to piggyback on our party- and they did!), and he pulled through with the most giant of 40th birthday cakes, appetizers from her favorite restaurant, and delicious rosé champagne (because we are the Rosé Mamas in our text thread).


And then Sarah used her new birthday Cricut machine to make party favors for everyone- wine glasses for the Mamas and whiskey glasses for the men! It was perfect!


Just like my curls! Because I drove over to my friend's house so she could make them for me again... (And so I could drop off my middle child to hang out with her kids and sitter for the night.)


Everyone took to the spirit of the gathering and brought their finest, ugliest sweaters and tastiest snacks and beverages.


Killing it.


So much food.


It was so fun.



Landon spent the night at a friend's (one of our other party guests), as did Claire, but Cora could sleep through the apocalypse so we just put her to bed in her room as usual. Except the party started 1 hour before her bedtime, so we let her watch a movie in the TV room until 8. She only came out once, to check out the snack situation, and really, who can blame her? James gave her a nice tour before tucking her in bed.


The voting for best dressed male and female was also taken seriously, as it should be.


I announced the results, after sorting the voting slips because some people can't read after a glass or two of champiskey...

But soon we had our top 3 ladies! First was the birthday girl on the left and second was my friend in the middle who made hers out of a Christmas tree skirt! I was third and felt honored to be included.


The men also had a strong showing. Here in the left-to-right order of third, first, and second. Pretend it's a podium.


Everyone's a winner on the inside though.


Except me when I tried to play the velcro ball game on my friend K's sweater.


I lost quite decisively. Against myself.


Then there was birthday cake!


And more chatter.


I looked very skeptical.


And I took my traditional 11 p.m. selfie with my friend B. I couldn't quite get my Christmas tree hat to fit.


It was super fun and we're doing it again even bigger next year. I'll pretend for now I'm going to re-wear my dress but we all know I'll be looking for a new one.


Cora woke up Sunday morning and then woke us up because she didn't know how to turn the TV on. Big kids are really SO useful to have around. Then she asked for cake for breakfast, and since she had to miss the whole party and didn't get a sleepover with a friend, that seemed totally reasonable. Plus, I didn't have to make it. That was enough of a reason.


I too ate cake, then cleaned the kitchen, and then taught barre. And then our next crazy December week kicked off with 7:30 a.m. Spelling Bee, Battle of the Books, and/or News Crew meetings and practices for alternating big kids every day, all the after school activities, busy work schedules, a doctor's appointment, a Favorite Things party, and the Spelling Bee! And then today I baked the traditional sugar cookies and watched Landon's championship climbing competition. But we'll get to that later. For now, I'm sharing my new favorite appetizer for any party. (Or none. I ate a whole bunch today by myself for lunch between sugar cookie steps.)

Pesto Goat Cheese Appetizer

Ingredients:
~ Goat cheese (the log you can get from Trader Joe's or in a 2-pack from Costco)
~ 1/4 cup pesto (homemade or the magically delicious Kirkland one from Costco that is the reason I'll never make pesto again)
~ 1 cup small diced tomatoes (you can dice fresh, or I used a can of petite decided tomatoes after draining most of the juice and it was perfect and so easy and I don't normally like canned tomatoes)
~ Kalamata olives, pitted (a handful, up to a 1/4 cup if you love them like I do)

Directions:
1. Partially drain diced tomatoes and place in the bottom of a baking dish (I used a small ceramic casserole dish; you could also use a pie plate)
2. Place goat cheese in center over tomatoes.
3. Top with pesto.
4. Sprinkle olives around the sides.
5. Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes until it's warm and melty and amazing.
6. Eat with bread (toasted slices are amazing) or pita chips or crackers.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. OMG, that looks like SO much fun. Love the towels in the girls/guest bathroom. Please please say they're from a store that sells them online. I went to Marshall's this weekend and barely escaped alive.

    Who is spelling at 7:30am??? I can barely spell my own name at that time. That sounds like cruel and unusual punishment, particularly just before the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I got them at Ross, but they're Betsey Johnson, so maybe you can find them online?!

      Delete
  2. Your parties always look so amazing! The only parties I host are for children, but your posts make me dream of changing that up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find the adorable holiday hand towels in the girls' bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross! They're Betsey Johnson- I love that they are quirky and colorful, but still fit with the theme :).

      Delete