Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Swimming Along

I was going to title this "Getting By" or "Moving Along" but that didn't seem positive enough, so then I wrote something with "Swimmingly" but thought that would make it seem like things were too easy, so I finally settled on "Swimming Along" to describe the rhythm of our lives. This summer I thought I'd have so much to talk about once my job began- the balancing of the demanding career and even more demanding toddler, the busy husband in grad school (and I had no idea he'd simultaneously be putting in 50 hour weeks to start his own company a month into a time-consuming MBA program), the new house, the dogs, the steep learning curve of corporate law - surely I'd be able to fill the pages of blogger with my thoughts and stories.

But then it all started and we found our groove and I got busy and Landon suddenly became so much more fun than work and everything just felt Right. And it's not that my life isn't hard or tiring because it is both of those things, it's just that when I sit down to write about the more difficult moments all I can make myself feel is an overwhelming sense of gratitude for it all. I've found it's harder to write when you're happy than when you're angry or scared or on the verge of a nervous break down.

Landon woke up this morning with a 101 fever and a need to keep himself wrapped around JP or I like a little monkey at all times. I could write about the stresses of flying through my work this morning, skipping breakfast, lunch, and ignoring my tea yet again, in order to get home before JP's meeting with a potential investor, and then working from home all afternoon with a sick toddler, but the thing is, that all worked out fine. My job is portable and my colleagues are understanding, JP has the flexibility of an entrepreneur on Spring Break, and Landon was a happy, mellow febrile patient. JP and I both got done what was needed and spent a lot of time snuggling with our little monkey, plying him with diluted powerade and crackers, and reading the same few books over and over and over again. And when nearly every headline on Above the Law names yet another firm firing 100 more attorneys and when the unemployment rate is at its highest since I've been alive, an abandoned breakfast taco just doesn't seem worth complaining about.

I do wish I had more to say right now. I used to wonder where all the happy mothers were on those mommy war message boards that were filled with formerly working moms bitter about their experiences (often quite justifiably so) and a small but vocal minority of self-righteous stay-at-home moms determined to make others feel guilty about their choices (which are so often not choices, someone must make money if you have a child and it isn't always the one who contributed the sperm), and I realize that I'm a happy working mom and I have neither the time nor the desire to go anywhere near those boards. Our life works and I can't imagine defending that to anyone, especially if they don't know me and my family. I don't get enough sleep, I haven't been to a gym in nearly 3 years, and I frequently get research assignments that I have absolutely no idea how to begin- but I'm almost always home my 6:30, my husband still flirts with me while we're making dinner, and my toddler is happy, affectionate, and knows he is loved down to the tips of his toes.

I know there are going to be times when being an attorney and a mother are going to conflict in ways that are not mere inconveniences, and I'm sure I'll write about them. But for now, though the days fly by, certain segments of them- cheering as Landon flung himself down the slide last night while we cooked out on the back porch with friends, snuggling and singing with Landon before bed- those moments seem to move slower, and that keeps me feeling like we've got our heads above water.

11 comments:

  1. Not sure why you feel like you don't write that much about everything going on in your life ... you always have great updates on how fun Landon is, the date nights with JP, visits with friends, exciting developments in your career and you somehow find time to post pictures and videos of all the cuteness that fills your house and backyard.
    I know what you mean though about it being easier to write when you need to vent... a semi-anonymous internet forum is the perfect sounding board. When you're happy, it's easier to just live your life and share your joy with friends and family.
    Unlike books and movies, lives and blogs without drama are still very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know, this psot struck a chord with me because, my life is crazy too but...you said it well- we found a groove and we're making it work. My schedule is CRAZY and I rarely get enough sleep- but we have a routine now and that is just part of our daily life. It's wonderful and awful all at the same time.


    I think your post reveals something important about us- we can be happy and accepting of the struggles in our lives if we chose to be. We have the most hectice lives as mothers/employees/wives/students BUT if you take it one day at a time and just accept how it is, you can fill your day with so much joy. It probably helps if you enjoy your roles in life. I think it's true that you have the potential to be as happy as you make yourself regardless of your situation.

    so glad things are going well for you and that you have such a great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, admittedly corny, but skimming through Cee's final comment, my mind read the words "great attitude" and almost immediately made the connection ~ great attitude ~ gratitude. Hey, I warned you it was corny.

    But I do think there might be something to it. I am often amazed how at the strangest moments I can feel so blessed. Feeling blessed at times when by most any objective standard there is so much negative going on in my life. What's that all about? A type of attitude or perspective maybe, I'm not sure ... Either which way, I will take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing you do well that I want to work on is seeing friends. We don't see enough of friends, and I think that makes life happier. So thanks for the inspiring stories about your daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only complaint I really have through a very similar groove is hwo fast it all goes! I suddenly realized that my 15th H.S. reunion is this summer! What?!?! Wasn't I just in H.S. like 5 years ago? Really? When did I become an adult? With responsibilities? I own a house? Have a husband? I'm somebody's mom? And a manger at my job? Seriously, when did all of this happen? But yeah, it's all good. And, when you hear all of the dismal reports on the news, it's really hard not to feel incredibly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm happy with the crazy schedule too. It works for us and everyone is happy and fulfilled. And I think when I am not working as much in a month or so (I hope) I'll be happy then too. Having a respectful, supportive partner makes all the difference. I bet if one of those angry, bitter message board women had a husband who came home and said "Why don't I start making dinner and doing bedtime on Wednesdays so you can take a class in something that interests you" (or something) then they wouldn't be so angry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hope that the little guy feels better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome post! Congrats on the happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i agree on its harder to write and blog when you are happy..im finding the same kinda pattern. my "rant" tag has way more than my "raves"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. I could really picture your day the way you wrote it. So happy for you; hope today swims the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous, fabulous post. I just learned how to stumble and I gave you a thumbs up!

    I'm a government lawyer and those news reports are terrifying. I read the wall street journal law blog and it makes me happy I went into the public sector, but I'm scared for all you private lawyers out there.

    ReplyDelete