Wednesday, October 10, 2007

We Passed

It was definitely two of the worst hours of my life, but it's over and we passed. The police are dropping their investigation against us and are recommending to DCFS that they do the same. I may post details about the polygraph later, or I may just try to forget it all.

Because our DCFS caseworker seems to have no interest in moving our case along, she has not contacted us again today. We're in the hospital again tonight. That will be 8 days total. Landon is getting a cold and apparently insurance won't pay for the days after Friday because there is no medical reason for him to be here. Obviously, we are rather upset with DCFS at this point. She called Friday night, told my mom to fly up, said she'd call back with the final word and we haven't heard from her since. We're also upset with the CPS team doctor who decided to hate us and never talked to anyone (including our pediatrician or the doctors who have seen us on a daily basis) about the situation after Friday. I understand this is a necessary process and I'm not mad that an investigation occurred. I'm mad that people didn't do any fact finding (like at least talking to our pediatrician) and we're still stuck in the hospital even though our "Safety Plan" person is right here. I'm also mad that the police now want to polygraph Maya (which will scare the crap out of her) even though the fractures could not have happened in the 10 days she watched him. She'll have to find someone to watch her kids while she goes- I'm not even sure she has a car.

This has been a horrible, horrible past seven days, but hopefully we'll see the end of it very soon.

13 comments:

  1. Yay!!! So happy to finally hear some great news. Hang in there, you are almost done. I know you must be so mad at DCFS and CPS and now you have the opportunity to do something about it.

    Best wishes,
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief! I'm glad they finally believe you!

    The hospital had better be willing to write off your bills, or come up with a "medical reason" to get the insurance to pay, considering their doctor is the reason you've been stuck there in the first place. Big fat law suit, that's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew. I'm no lawyer...good thing you are...I'd do what Proto says!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew, because you never know what will happen when you enter a police station. Good news at last.

    Your case worker is an idiot. And the CPS doctor a moron. But that's all old news.

    I agree with proto attorney: Big. Fat. Lawsuit. Against DCFS, too. But first things first--let's get you HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank god. I seriously hope you're home by tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank god. I am so sorry your caseworker has not been in touch. And the CPS doc is a loser - I hope your pediatrician raises hell.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so glad to read good news when I checked tonight. I hope you're all home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Second what everyone else has said... thank god, and you should not have to pay that bill for the caseworker's negligence!

    Is there anyone who can talk the police out of polygraphing Maya?

    Here's hoping your next post will say you're safely home with Landon and all of this is over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sigh. I really try to keep my vindictive nature under control, but this is the kind of situation where I start to think, "Who is going to lose their job??" It frustrates me to no end that public servants treat people's LIVES so cavalierly. You are now paying OUT OF POCKET for a hospital stay which is entirely the result of one person's decision to assume something without medical evidence, and another person's inability to show up at work--or make a phone call saying you can go home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so happy everything is working out for ya'll. Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh thank God!!!! I say send the bill to CFS, the jerks! Maybe your pediatrician can help you work out something, although obviously the hospital is providing services. Still, they wouldn't have to if CFS wasn't so damn slow and incompetent! Grr. I'm so pleased to hear that you and JP are out from under the dark cloud. Hopefully poor Maya won't be too harassed by all this. What a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for all that you and your family have gone through over these past few days. I'm glad to hear that things are looking up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so relieved to read your news -- thank heaven for this. I feel like your past week could have been written by Kafka -- it's been giving me the same sick, sinking feeling that reading "The Penal Colony" did.

    Oh, to be licensed in Illinois so that I could help draft your complaint against the hospital...

    And poor Maya. She must feel awful.

    ReplyDelete