Monday, December 3, 2007

Tidbits and Some Good News

No real news, of course, but I'll do anything to avoid outlining International Law, so here's a bit of catch-up:

My mother-in-law is here as Safety Person and it is going pretty well. This is something of a miracle, especially given the tension already present in our little household. Yesterday she took Landon on a big adventure to the Marshall Fields on State St. (I refuse to call it Macy's). They went to eat by the big tree in the Walnut Room and the hostess seated them ahead of a 2-hour wait for lunch because Landon gave her several big smiles. While at lunch, he flirted with Cinderella who was in the dining room for some reason. Afterward, he sat in Santa's lap with a giant smile on his face- the picture is adorable. In every picture of me on Santa's lap, I look very suspicious and a little scared that I'm on a strange man's lap when my dad and his perfectly serviceable lap are right nearby. Not so with Landon, if you smile at him and have a warm body, he's very happy to cozy up with you. (Note to DCFS: this would not be the behavior of an abused child).

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow with a dermatologist to look at a mole that spontaneously appeared on my back. I'm sure it's nothing, but given my family's frequent history of cancer, I wanted to have it checked. I'll admit I'm a little worried- the last time I looked forward to a doctor appointment, it didn't turn out all that well.

This morning our lawyer called the supervisor and I called the Regional Child Protection Administrator (thank you, anonymous commenter, for telling me about them). We have yet to hear back from either one. The 60 days is up tomorrow, but now that I know they can grant their own extensions, I'm not sure what that means for our case ending. I couldn't sleep again last night just thinking about it. Since there are some of you out there who know the inner workings of DCFS- is an extension really that automatic and that easy to get? Is there any process or requirements to get one?

The good news: I just got an email saying the MPRE score reports are available and... I passed. By a lot. So that one night of studying, all the guessing and answer changing, and what must have been an enormous curve added up to something good. This is the first time I've been surprised by happy news in a while!

16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on passing your test! That is some good news. I hope you hear something back soon from DFPS. The squeaky wheel does get the grease.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the MPRE! I passed too! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on passing the test! That is great news! I keep hoping your deadline passes and this whole thing is dropped. All one has to do is read in your history of trying to figure out what was wrong (before all this crap started) and see that you are NOT the type of people they should be after! Keeping you in my thoughts and my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on passing your test! I just took the LSAT on Saturday so now I'm in the waiting period too. I hope I have news as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATS LL!!! :D Finally SOME good news for you! Geez!

    I'm home studying for my first 1L exams and its not TOO horrible but this also happens to be the point in my pregnancy where the insomnia has hit suddenly and it has hit HARD! I'm tossing and turning most nights, which makes me cranky and sleepy for the rest of the next day! UGH!

    Maybe I'm just anxious about exams, the baby's due date is VERY close (7 more weeks), job applications, etc etc but I refuse to let the stress take over! I'm going to schedule a prenatal massage, continue studying and take it one day at a time...

    My prayers continue to be with you and your gorgeous family :) Good luck with finals (don't stress too much about exams--you'll be FINE!)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I love hearing good news here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on passing the MPRE. See, I told you it was easy peasy! Aren't you glad you didn't waste time studying for it?

    Glad to hear the Santa pics went well. Landon sounds like such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you read the language on 30-day extensions, there is some phrase along the line of "including but not limited to" which DCFS has traditionally interpreted very broadly with respect to reasons for approving extensions. In practical terms, it only takes supervisory approval and a click of the mouse for the agency to extend a case, especially the first 30-day extension. I don't believe there is a requirement that the agency notify the family if they extend.

    Although investigations should be conducted as expeditiously as possible, many caseworkers use the sixty-day mark as a deadline and work around that. The supervisor then has to approve the case, which
    can take longer. You'll probably hear something by the end of the week if a finding was made. If they extended it, maybe not, since they have another 30 days to work on it
    and that tends to become the new deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just another congratulations on passing the MPRE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Send some of your MPRE magic my way, I have my PR final tomorrow afternoon! Hoping one evening of studying works for me too. ;)

    At least there's small comfort in knowing that as nightmarish as this has been on you and your husband, all Landon knows is that he's safe and loved, and can ham it up for Santas and Cinderellas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yippee!! You smarty-pants. :) So when are you going to post a picture of Santa's littlest helper

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for passing the MPRE!

    We took K to get his picture taken with Santa this weekend. Now, this is a child who makes an effort to catch the eye of complete strangers and get them to smile at him. He has only ever met one person he didn't like and frankly, we're not too sure about her either.

    So of course, what happens when he gets on Santa's lap and the cameras are out? Meltdown! At least we got to have a canonical baby experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you for getting your mole checked. I can't express to you how important that is

    It's amazing. I have been reading your story for a while, and it took that for me to de-lurk.

    It's so important for you to have that done. I cannot tell you how important this is to me. I am not sick but a friend just lost his 32 year old wife from melanoma.

    You and your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! Congrats to you on the MPRE as well. Wishing more good news your way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah girl! what to ROCK that MPRE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad you passed!! (And also glad to hear that you refuse to call it Macy's!)

    ReplyDelete